Thread: Tired of the red/hot/burning splotches! What are these? Google isn't helping me much.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Tired of the red/hot/burning splotches! What are these? Google isn't helping me much.

I may have posted or mentioned these before, but I get splotches on my skin (besides my butterfly rash) that burn and are hot to the touch. They pop up out of nowhere and I have found through trial and error that Aspirin really does help. I started taking Aspirin bc of my APS, but they are still popping up through the aspirin. I only take aspirin once - MAYBE twice- per day. Well a picture is worth a thousand words. . so here are some beauties...
    IMAG1441-1.jpglegsbad.jpg
    but my knees can be normal --- especially after I wake up see...hothands.jpg
    The splotches pop up on my hands and arms especially normal legs.jpgouch.jpg
    The red spots on my arms are not fluid filled like my knees get.. and you can't feel them on my arms or legs if you run your hand across, but they do feel hot.
    I've thought ohh probably Reynaud's phenomenon, except I don't ever get white cold skin. EVER.

The legs get like this probably 6 out of 7 nights per week. The splotches are probably 5 days a week.
    I've asked my physiatrist and he referred me to a neurologist (I'm not sure I understand why - I think because I told him i get restless legs at night - but what about my splotches?!) My Rheumy isn't sure either. I think my circulation could probably be an issue. The fluid in my knees happens after I've been active and then lay on the couch for awhile. Just hate it! It burns and it is so hot. There's no masking it either. I can feel it right now on my right arm where my shirt is rolled up a little.
    Any ideas? I've thought APS for some time, but I don't know. I'm sure you guys understand that just the thought of going to a new doctor makes me want to hide under my covers!!!! noooo.... but I guess I just have to. Except, what kind of doctor do you think I should go to? GRRRRRRR. I need a vacation from my Lupus.

This post probably seems confusing, so, as a fellow Lupie with an attention span of a gnat, I'm going to give you the Cliff's Notes
    - Hot, red splotches pop up on legs, arms, hands, and face
    -Burning sensation but you cannot feel them if you run ur hand accross
    -Reynauds could fit - but I NEVER get white fingers when I'm cold
    -APS?
    - Rheum and Physiatrist both not sure

Thanks

I don't know what to call it but I get it too. Prior to being diagnosed with lupus I always assumed it was contact dermittis.
    I seem to always get it at the same spots including top of feet,back of knees,above knees on thigh,hands,back of arms, face etc.
    Steroid creams cause me to peel -so I use gold bond anti-itch lotion and sometimes aloe-vera helps.

This can be extremely painfull,I certainly sympathize with you!
    I found it helps to sleep with cotton gloves and socks on,as I have a tendicy to scratch in my sleep.

After having been on plaquenol for 15 mos. and doing a better job of staying covered in the sun I find that I do not get as bad a rash as I used to.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I definitely feel ya on the painful side. I don't see too much of a correlation of being in the sun (even when I'm not in the sun at all I get it) for me. That's what is so confusing for me. How do I avoid this? I will have to try the gold bond lotion. Steroid creams don't bother me, but they don't help much either. I read online to try something like (I know this might be gross for men) Monistat on ur face or arms and that actually helps a little. It's an anti-fungal and it's not gross or anything. I am so so sick of it. The one on my face bothers me the most.
    ButterflyRash.jpg that picture is the worst it's been in a long time. That was prob a couple months ago. I hope your rash is okay today... My face is bad already.. but hey.. what can ya do?

Thanks

OMG so glad you put pics up. I do the same thing it literally hurts sometime. not to mention the strange looks you get. I have not been diag with lupus but after looking on here for like a hour at other peoples symptoms i think this it. Thanks for sharing. I never went to the doc i am a nurse and just had the APRN look at it and she said o its just contact dermatitis lol joke. I took some pred and that helped alot so it a nice injection of solumedrol i cant spell or focus either haha

Thanks

098.jpg095.jpgMy son gets these patches along with other symptoms, we
    are waiting for diagnosis from rmeumatologist.Today he has had pain and redness especially around his eyes,his hands and feet hurt too.
    He also is so tired, slept most of the afternoon!Tried to attach photos but I'm not very good at this!!!

Thanks

Hi Isla,

Why doesn't your rheumy send you to a dermatologist?
    It could be a fungus, since the Monistat works. But I think a dermatologist should see this.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Isla - I ended up going to a derm for mine. He was only able to dx the patches on my head as psoriasis and the rash/patches on my right foot as athlete's foot. None of the other rashes popped up while I was there.

Mine are usually on the insides of my wrists and elbows. But I do get "hot spots" on my knees and elbows.