Thread: Steroids and contraception. Dilemma

Thanks

Default Steroids and contraception. Dilemma

Hi everyone!
    I didn t really know where to post this thread coz it doesn t refer to any of the current forums. Anyways,
    do some of you have any opinions and experiences with taking steroids for lupus and anty-baby pills. The doctors i was trying to address the topic give me the confusing info. Genecologists say that it has nothing to do with each other, but rheumatologist seem to be careful. I keep taking anty-baby pills since 3-4 months now. So far- so good. But i wonder which consequences might appear.
    Will be grateful for any feedbacks.
    THX!
    Kateryna

Thanks

Im on birth control and steriods and for me I've never had a problem with them.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Hello again kateryna. This is my experience with both control bills. Please understand that this mat not be your issue but it sure is mine. When I was in my twenties I was on birth control pills. I went off of them because I was terribly nauseated. When I started having babies I kept getting blood clots in my legs. One day I saw a gynocologist who said I should never go on birth control pulls or estrogen. Recently I began to have trouble with my endometrium and the new gynocologist would not let me use estrogen due to the lupus and history of clots. They are giving me progesterin which both my rheumy and gyno are comfortable with. They never said anything about the steroids I take. I hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi kateryna, so many medications interact with the contraceptive pill so make sure you have all the info. I was on the pill for 7 years until I got clots in 2009 so now no more. The doc gave me a few options tho, the progesterone only pill, the mirina ring or implanon. Maybe talk with your doc abt some other alternatives if you're worried. Good luck
    Diagnosed with SLE and Antiphospholipid Syndrom - June 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL. As was said before me it depends on what kind of medicine you are one. For example, the methotrexate is also one of the "morning after pills". I know that is the other side of the spectrum but anyone wanting a baby can't take that. I agree that you need to talk to your doctor
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey there!
    Whenever i'm unsure of where to post something - i normally just post it in "Laurie's Lounge", which is pretty much a free for all.
    I love your "anti-baby pills", lmao.
    I was only on steroids for a month, so i'm not the greatest person to talk to, but I was on anti-baby pills at the same time, and there were no problems at all for me.

I think rheumy's are just cautious about every medication that you combine, even if it seems like something relatively harmless.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if there was a problem, they would come out and tell you.

Also - welcome to the forum!

Thanks

Hi guys,
    speaking ab the hormones i am on it s Prednisolon (12.5 mg one day combining with 7.5 mg another and deminishing according to the programm). also started 3 months therapy of Cloroquin and some other Vitamins. The contraception (btw, "anty-baby pills" name is widely used here in Europe ) consists from 0,02 Ethinylestradiol+3 mg Drospirenon. Seems like this contraception is the mildest version. And the gynicologist was completely sure that it should not interact anyhow with the SLE therapy.
    Thank you all for the tips and sharing experiences!
    My best
    Kateryna