Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disability lawyer

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default disability lawyer

Well I have been fighting to get my disability now since 2009, I finally got so mad and got off my butt and got a disability lawyer. I saw him this past Monday. But now I think I feel better about it with the lawyer. What gets me is the fact that when I applied they sent me to a dr and he said he I had a 98% chance of getting my disability and that he had never had anyone turned down. Well I guess I was his first, and was turned down 2 more times.The system really gets me I was self employed for many years and paid my taxes and everything, for over 20 years and now I can't even get disability. I understand that some people abuse the system, I have seen that first hand. But there should be a way making it easier for people.

What really gets me is that fact that I lost my health insurance when my husband lost his government job and due to having to pay for medical expenses, we are currently losing our house, Then the dr says stay away from stress cause it is causing a lot of problems. How can you do that when you are broke because you spend all your money on meds and dr. and can't get disability. My husband says that if we had the disability or even medicaid it would help and plus it would also help keep me healthier. I can't understand that the government wants to keep fighting a war in another country but does not want to take care of the people in this country. OK now I am just rambling about it cause it makes me mad.

If anyone has any suggestions about getting help, please let me know I am currently getting assistance from the united way to help cover some of my medication expenes.
    thanks
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Thanks

Hi Leanne, I'm sorry things are so hard. Gosh I will try to give you a list of support ideas until you get SSD. Dept of welfare for food stamps, fuel assistance, & cash assistance. There is the salvation army, red cross, samaritan purse, food banks, churches, lions club for eye glasses, etc. These are all in the US. I hope this helps some dear.

Thanks

Hi All as you can see I have been a member since May 2011 as my partner Alan got diagnosed in April of this year this is the 1st time I have written in this part of the forum I mostly write in friends and family section and its mostly about all Alans problems and different symptoms I havn't ever mentioned the problem we've had with Alans DLA (for those not in the UK this is Disability Living Allowance ) Alan was in receipt of this after his accident in Nov 2006 where he sustained numerous injuries broken neck in 2 places C1 & C6,fractured sternum,broke both his hands,tore main artery in heart(aorta) and completely smashed his left leg which has been re-built twice.In 2008 he was diagnosed with cronic kidney failure stage 3 and in April this year he was diagnosed with Lupus Nephritis SLE stage 4.He was given a 3yr award so in Jan 11 it was due for renewal and we stupidly thought that he would get it as he is more seriously ill now than he was when he got his 1st award anyway unbelievably he got turned down completely as in no award and as a result I lost my carers allowance and income support which I was in receipt of as I had to give up my job to be his full time carer.We appealed this decision immediately and it has taken 8 months for his appeal to be heard which was yesterday where the decision was made to postpone as they didnt think they had enough medical evidence on his Lupus diagnosis how much more do they need he had a seizure in front of them!!!! We now have to endure a doctor coming to our home to witness how Lupus affects Alan on a daily basis we can't believe we are having to go through this its ridiculous.!!!! Rant Over Love Mary.x.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

mary

trust a government agency to make a simple solution unworkable.

(((HUGS)))

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-26-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

@ Mary
    You keep fighting for what Alan needs, sorry you are having so many problems, Fighting for disability can be hard, you would think that they could see how bad he was when he had a seizure in front of them, but they must be idiots. Hopefully when they visit they will see his disability. will be praying it goes your way.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaann For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-27-2011), MaryS42 (08-26-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

@ Leann,

When I finally hired a lawyer I got my disability approved within 3 months. I still have to wait until Oct of 2012 for insurance but finally there was some money to live on! Good luck to you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-26-2011)

Thanks

Oh my I read all the post for this thread and I felt like I was so alone on this subject matter of applying for disability. Like many of U stated; I too didn't want the stigma of being on assistNce heck I could still walk, talk, lift, pull, & Tug, when I first was diagnosed in 2005. But Know it's a different story. Things have progressively worsen. Heck currently I'm on 60ml of prednisone & have been on various doses of prednisone since my diagnoses. Sorry I am rambling. I just wanted to say that I too was denied for disability, then after the first denial I got a lawyer one thAt doesn't charge U anything unless U win. Then had a hearing with the lawyers and I was denied. Frustrated @ this point, but we are appealing. I have been trying since 2009, & it can take untill the middle or end of 2012 to know when the 2nd heAring will be. I feel they the lawyers didn't have all my up to date records and neither did the expert witness that testifies based off of reports if u your lupus is playing a part in your daily life. I know I have to stay on top of my lawyers to keep them informed of every new dr I see. I will say this has been difficult but knowing that I am not fighting this battle alone helps me to be more optimistic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeannetta For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (08-28-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I was very lucky when I applied for disability. My father handled my case. He was a Special Agent with the U.S. Treasury Dept. for twenty plus years. He's pretty much a genius with legal issues, and I didn't have to pay him. My application was approved on the first try. It took about three months.

Disability benefits are there for people like us.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

Rob

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

leaann (09-06-2011), MaryS42 (08-28-2011)

Thanks

Default DLA appeal

Hi All so this is where we're at with all this there is an independant doctor coming to the house to visit Alan this coming tues to witness him in the home environment and see how his Lupus affects him on a daily basis I feel like inviting this doctor in then leaving her to live my life for a day let her shower and dress him then watch his 1st seizure of the day then give him his breakfast and medication and rub his back when he's vomiting from the chemotherapy.Then help him up to the toilet all 6ft 4 of him and 21 stone in weight because he's not been mobile in 5 years since his accident,and then watch his next seizure because of the exertion he's gone through just to go to the toilet,then give him his lunch and next lot of medication and comfort him when he vomits again,then settle him for an afternoon nap and watch him wake up because he's had a seizure in his sleep then give him dinner and medication and more vomiting and more seizures from the effort involved in going to the toilet then settle him down for the night and maybe get 2 hours sleep before you have to get up to assist him with a urine bottle during the night or help him onto the commode while having a seizure or of late struggle to breath while lying down and give him oxygen.I wonder would she feel thats sufficient evidence to allow them to re-instate his disability living allowance? !!!!! RANT OVER Luv M.x.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i do not know how it works there, but (as his helper) can you give them a short statement?

something just like you have just written !!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (09-10-2011)