Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disibility Placard and Appointment

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    I was wondering Sjogrens too. I havent been officially diagnosed with it but Im pretty sure me and my rheum both know I have it. If so its been acting up lately. I keep waking up with crust and gunk all dried up around my eyes and my mouth. Its annoying if nothing else. So if this finger thing was related I wouldnt be very surprised. I have tried a few things lately but nothing seems to be helping much. What worries me is that my grandpa said I dont wanna worry you or anything but it sounds like pancreatitis. But my grandma had that so I guess he sees pancrease problems just like I see lupus problems, you know what I mean? I was just hoping she would look into it more.

SIDE NOTE: Did you guys know that you can get a medical alert sticker put on your license? I just found that out last week and need to get my license sooo thats on my to-do list.
    That sounds like sjogren's...but lupus is such a sneaky wolf! There are many things it could be. And it could have something to do with how some meds have a drying effect. I've got a great rheumy, thanks to Mountaindreamer, and she's been treating Lupus patients for many many years. Her opinion is that 80% of us or more have Sjogren's too.

Do your eyes ever feel sore, gritty, or sting... or do you ever feel pain under your chin or in your cheeks, where the salivary glands are? A dentist can help check for Sjogren's with the way it affects the salivary glands. And a good eye doc could help diagnose for Sjogren's. And by good, I mean good. I saw different eye docs over the years and they either wouldn't even bother checking or were using the wrong tests for diagnosis, or I should say tests that weren't very reliable according to my eye doctor. By the time I found the one I'm seeing now, my eyes are so damaged and it's taking a long time to heal.

As for your skin, especially your hands, I can't sing enough praises about Nivea products. I've tried many but I love nivea the most! But there are times that it gets so bad that I'll bust open some vitamin e and put it on like lotion, and wear gloves ...and the next day, what a difference. Really speeds the healing! That wrinkling can get so bad it's more than uncomfortable. The skin could split. Do you take folic acid? That helps with the skin, nails, and hair. I started taking it in June and starting to see the difference.

I had no idea you can get a sticker on a license! Thanks for that info.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abbasgirl For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (08-15-2011)

Thanks

My hands arent DRY though. They just shrivel up, and now the skin is starting to...rip? I guess thats the best word for it. I have all these tears on my fingers that look like paper cuts, but they arent. I showed them to my mom and her first thought was to freak and think that they were the beginning of ulcers but I know those all to well and thats not what these are. I dont know what to think of it. Its annoying me if nothing else, because its not painful or anything. But with all the strange problems going on with my hands its making them hard to use. I cant even wash my hair or wash my hands comfortably because my hair and towels feel so rough against my completely pruned hands. Thats another thing its not just my finger tips like Im used to when being in the pool for awhile. Its my WHOLE HAND everytime it gets wet. Its just weird and annoying and I dont know how to make it better.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

ritz, i have the same problem.
    i was told it is the skin drying out.
    try hand moisturiser, and wear gloves over the moisturiser.
    i believe doing it while you sleep would be the most convenient.

it should clear in about 2 or 3 days.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    My hands arent DRY though. They just shrivel up, and now the skin is starting to...rip? I guess thats the best word for it. I have all these tears on my fingers that look like paper cuts, but they arent. I showed them to my mom and her first thought was to freak and think that they were the beginning of ulcers but I know those all to well and thats not what these are. I dont know what to think of it. Its annoying me if nothing else, because its not painful or anything. But with all the strange problems going on with my hands its making them hard to use. I cant even wash my hair or wash my hands comfortably because my hair and towels feel so rough against my completely pruned hands. Thats another thing its not just my finger tips like Im used to when being in the pool for awhile. Its my WHOLE HAND everytime it gets wet. Its just weird and annoying and I dont know how to make it better.
    How about microfiber towels? Oh how I hate microfiber. I can't stand to touch microfiber. It makes me feel like I must have invisible velcro against my skin. I hate that feeling almost as much as I do nails across a chalk board. Trust me, your hands are dry and need to be pampered. You just can't see it but oh it's there alright. Baby those hands for a while and see if you notice any difference. Like Steve suggested, wear gloves over moisturized hands at bedtime. Use the good stuff too, a really good brand name. And make sure you're getting enough water to drink.

Thanks

Well I have a question, I have had SLE for 5 years now without a break I always go in seems like every 3-4 mos at least to get a steroid shot, anyway, since starting Methotrexate over a year ago it has been all I can do keep up for 2-3 days after I take my meds it's makes me so weak I come home from work directly go to bed. My trochanteric bursitis is always inflamed which I've also had numerous cortisone shots in my hip due to this, right now it's so inflammed I can barely walk, so between that and my methotrexate I'm thinkin about askin my rheumie for a handicapped license, what do you guys think? I guess I just feel so guilty for asking ya know.

Thanks

My attitude is that if parking closer means you will be able to take care of yourself longer, then you should have the placard. One of my daughter's teachers in high school used to brag that she had one because she was under 5 feet tall - then she would wear 3" heels! We have a wheelchair accessible van and would have to load and unload on the street because that crazy woman took the van accessible slot every damn day.

Sorry, off topic. Maybe you would feel more comfortable asking for the placard if you think about it as preserving your hip joint for as long as possible. Every step you don't take saves wear and tear on that joint. Have you talked with your doc about the weakness? Us lupies do have a few more options these days. Maybe even get a second opinion if your regular doctor won't talk about different drugs for lupus.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

hi mum with lupus,

welcome to our cyber family.
    it is my belief, that if you need a parking placard, get one.
    anything to make life more bearable.

as others have said on this site, think of it as a vip permit.
    you are important enough to have a permit.

Thanks

I just started college this week. I have bad knees. Now they aren't always bad and sore but walking around campus with a backpack full of a huge binder, books, and a laptop, KILLS my knees. I use it everyday even if my knees arent already hurting because I guarentee they will be by the time Im walking back to my car. They are very helpful I would say get one.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just got my handicap parking permit, The first few days I was mad about it but now I realize that I really needed it. My daughter told me to look at it as if I were queen of the town now which I thought was cool. By all means go get one, even though it takes some getting use to, it will well be worth it and you will see that.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline