Thread: Wow. My first rheumy appt.

Thanks

Default Wow. My first rheumy appt.

And I was diagnosed in 30 minutes. I don't know if it was the wonderful documentation from my gp or all of my glorious rashes some of which I had not even noticed. But without my labs completed he gave me a diagnosis. I really have to tell you if you are in Arkansas go see dr chi! He is the bomb. Told me to call him with any questions that come up between now and my next appt. In three weeks. The only part I don't like is the fact he put me on prednisone 5mg two times a day until we can get my labs back and we get me back to a good baseline. I really hate the weight gain and bad temper that come with prednisone.

The thing that blows my mind is he pointed out a rash I have on my legs and arms that I have always thought of as my normal skin tone for at least the past 15 years.

I almost feel bad for getting answers so quickly ( 18 months since my symptoms worsened and my first rheumy appt) when so many of you guys have been searching for answers for so long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamber View Post
    And I was diagnosed in 30 minutes. I don't know if it was the wonderful documentation from my gp or all of my glorious rashes some of which I had not even noticed. But without my labs completed he gave me a diagnosis. I really have to tell you if you are in Arkansas go see dr chi! He is the bomb. Told me to call him with any questions that come up between now and my next appt. In three weeks. The only part I don't like is the fact he put me on prednisone 5mg two times a day until we can get my labs back and we get me back to a good baseline. I really hate the weight gain and bad temper that come with prednisone.

The thing that blows my mind is he pointed out a rash I have on my legs and arms that I have always thought of as my normal skin tone for at least the past 15 years.

I almost feel bad for getting answers so quickly ( 18 months since my symptoms worsened and my first rheumy appt) when so many of you guys have been searching for answers for so long.
    Don't feel bad, be glad, that you are able to start treatment right away.
    It is rare to get a dx so soon, but it does happen, when you have a good rheumy.
    Take your pred until you see him in three weeks and go from there. You are on a low dose, you might not even gain weight.
    Can you tell me about your skin tone? Was it a rash, or just discolored skin?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Oh I am so glad you have a good rheumy. I do too! I think we feel bad for others because it is like we ate in a war together and we don't want to leave anyone in the trenches with a lousy medic (grin).

Do take the steroids as they are a gift. I have this love hate relationship with them. They work, but they make me fat if I don't walk my butt off and eat very low fat healthy foods. Ravenous is the word! Bless you on your journey dear.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

congratulations on finding someone who can see what is really in front of him.

5 mg of pred is a good safe start.
    it will depend on your reaction, and what it will and wont do for you, as to what the next step will be.

i am glad things are moving forward.

Thanks

The rash is pink and lacy looking. I always have referred to it as my pink undertones it is not ver pronounced and he had to trace it for me with his ink pen for me to even realize what it was.

I told him I was really worried about the weight gain since I put on 15 pounds on my last twelve day dose pack. He told me to stick with weight watchers and exercise as tolerated. I hope I can stick to it. I am round enough as it is and really want to get to a healthy weight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamber View Post
    The rash is pink and lacy looking. I always have referred to it as my pink undertones it is not ver pronounced and he had to trace it for me with his ink pen for me to even realize what it was.

I told him I was really worried about the weight gain since I put on 15 pounds on my last twelve day dose pack. He told me to stick with weight watchers and exercise as tolerated. I hope I can stick to it. I am round enough as it is and really want to get to a healthy weight.
    I try to think in terms of, "this can change". I gained 30 lbs this past year and I lost 30 pounds. I work hard once I feel better. I walk and drink a lot of water and eat fruit when I crave a whole stinkin pie! Hang in there and try to look on the bright side. You were respected, treated and well on your way to recovery. This is party worthy!

Thanks

Yea for good doctors! I literally felt like a new woman when I was diagnosed and started on 10mg of prednisone. I don't generally gain weight on prednisone because it allows me to be more than a lump on the couch, but I've never been on more than 10mg for any length of time.

Thanks

Congratulations on finding a great rheumy! I wish that all of them could learn from someone like him.
    Good luck going forward.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Don't feel bad. My first rheumy appointment lead to a diagnosis too. It took me longer to get there than you but just because we didn't put the pieces of the puzzle together, myself included for a while.

Glad you have a good doc! It makes a big difference.