Thread: First Dermatologist Appointment...

Thanks

Thumbs down First Dermatologist Appointment...

...and I think I'm going to ask my doctor to refer me to a different dermatologist. This guy was VERY knowledgeable but he DIDN'T listen and that's the reason I left my primary care doctor that I've gone to for 21 years! The dermatologist would ask a question and if my answer was longer than 3 words, he wasn't listening, he was already talking himself. It was very frustrating. He couldn't see any of my rashes, just told me I have a "ruddy" complexion. I tried to explain that I have always been very pale, that the color itself is not normal. But of course, to do that was longer than my allotted talk time, so he wasn't hearing me. Then he couldn't see the scar on the my chest that the discoid rash has left. My husband and best friend can see it without me pointing it out to them. He asked about joint pain, but didn't listen long enough for me to fill him in on the elbow pains I have. Ugh!

It was a very frustrating and disappointing visit. He said he's not convinced I have Lupus and to come back in 2 months, even though he couldn't see any rash at all on me. He did send me to the lab for blood work. I'm supposed to call next Friday to get the results. I think I will do that and then cancel the 2 month appointment.

Thanks

I think I would do the same, Geo. I wonder if insurance companies have ANY idea how much money is wasted on doctors who don't listen. We've seen at least 30 doctors trying to get my daughter taken care of - most of them only once because they were like your derm. ARGGG!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

All I can say Geo is... OHHH One of THOSE doctors! I have had several of those. They want to run in, see a problem with an instant answer, then run out. They don't want to have to listen or answer questions! Who do we think we are questioning their assessment since THEY went to medical school and we are just lowly citizens who should be thanking them because they gave us 10 min of their time!

Yes, I have had some of those and I fired them. They work for me and if they don;t know that I can find one that does!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow! Well that sucks.
    I would definitely fire that guy. When you cancel that appointment, i'd tell the scheduler that it was because he did not listen to you whatsoever, and you needed to find a doctor who actually would. If you have the guts to do that, of course. (: In my head, I would tell them what's what, but when it comes down to it... yeah, id chicken out.
    I hope you find a better dermo That really sucks.
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

Thanks

Thank you, everyone! It's nice to know (sort of?) that I'm not the only one that has experienced this. It was SO frustrating, because I could tell that he was really smart and, if he would only listen, could be helpful. I'm glad my co-pay is only $20, but hated to give up that much money!

That is one good thing that I've learned from teaching Financial Peace University classes- the doctor is employed by us, not the other way around and we are entitled to fire them. I always felt obligated to go back to them for some reason. Not anymore...

And Elo, I'm the same way. I can say a lot of things in my head, but chicken out when it comes to actually speaking them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoKasher For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-15-2011)