Thread: Grrr, troublesome flare and I can't reach a doc

Thanks

Default Grrr, troublesome flare and I can't reach a doc

I've been in a lot of pain for the past couple of days. My low back and hips are hurting terribly, fatigue is awful, and now my left knee has swollen up like a balloon for some unknown reason. LOL, did I pick a great time to quit ciggies or what?! Grrrr ...

I'm without a rheumatologist right now. The guy I was seeing wasn't good but he was all we had. Because he wasn't good, people (myself included) either saw him as little as possible as I did or took themselves to a bigger city. So, he recently left town.

My internist, who is VERY good and has been managing my care, is MIA. I left a message for her and haven't heard back. Meanwhile, she was completing the paperwork to send me to a new rheumatologist in a city about 2 hours away but I still don't have an appointment.

I need medical intervention but I'm not sure what to do. My internist is only in the office 2 days per week so I don't know whether to wait another day or two for her to respond or to take myself to the urgent care clinic tomorrow. They're not great at managing Lupus but they are familiar with me and could do something.

Thanks

I never realized how lucky I am. I have never had to wait longer than a day or 2 to see eaither my gp or ruhemy, and that is usually due to my wanting an early morning or late afternoon appt.-to suit me.
    It must be incredible frustrating to be suffering and to have to wait days or weeks and then to travel long distances to see the doctors.
    Take care.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-09-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I know how difficult it can be when you are feeling bad and can't get anyone to help. I hope you get some relief very soon
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm sorry that you're in so much pain
    Have you tried icing your swollen knee? Not that i'm any doctor, but maybe that would help? If it's inflammation, heat could make it worse, and icing is supposed to help make it go down. (My mother -the massage therapist- keeps trying to get me to ice mine, hehe)
    Does soaking in water help your back/hips? Maybe an epsom salt soak would help?

Have you ever tried seeing a chiropractor or massage therapist? Massage can really release the muscles and help you to relax and stop tensing - which could help the pain. Chiro's would be good at realigning your body, which could possibly be part of the pain.

Golly gee, aren't i just full of suggestions today? hehe. Don't mind me! I think that's all for today :P
    Though, to be quite honest, if you can't see your doctor or rheumy soon and you're still in pain, i would maybe give massage a try. Worst case situation, it doesn't help that much, but you got a massage! Ehem. Sorry, i'll be quiet now.
    I hope you feel better soon!!!

Thanks

Thanks! Still muddling through, hoping it just runs its course. I don't think the constant heat is helping matters. I feel awful after I have to run errands.

Elo, I have Raynaud's so using ice/cold is difficult for me. It seems that the best thing has been to rest my joints. I've been elevating my legs, too.

I would LOVE a massage but just can't afford it.

Thanks

Julia,
    Depending on your insurance if you go to a chiropractor that has a massage therapist in his/her office they are sometimes able to get it covered. I use to work for a chiropractor and that's how I know. For me massage does not help my pain but my chiropractor said to me it's hit or miss sometimes massage and chiro care helps those with Lupus and other similar illnesses and some people it doesn't. Chiropractic care does help my pain.

Thanks

Julia,
    I agree that getting my bi-weekly massage helps to relax my tight muscles for a while.
    However, if you're really in a flare and dealing with inflammation and joint pain, you really need to see a doc.
    They can prescribe something to bring down the inflammation, which the masseuse or chiro can't do.
    I hope that you hear from your doc soon.
    Hugs,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaL View Post
    Thanks! Still muddling through, hoping it just runs its course. I don't think the constant heat is helping matters. I feel awful after I have to run errands.

Elo, I have Raynaud's so using ice/cold is difficult for me. It seems that the best thing has been to rest my joints. I've been elevating my legs, too.

I would LOVE a massage but just can't afford it.
    You are absolutely correct about the heat being part of the problem. I basically stay in the house now in the summer. Yesterday I had to go out and do some shopping with my daughter and today I feel like I was run over by a mac truck!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Nicole, I can't do chiropractic -- I have spondylitis in my spine and have had to have spinal fusions. Back "adjustments" are a big no-no for me.

I practice yoga and it's helped my back quite a bit. It gently stretches my muscles, too, which makes me feel better

Marla, I agree. I think I'm going to have to bop into the walk-in clinic tomorrow if I still can't reach my internist. At the very least, they can give me some steroid injections that will help quickly.

Tgal, Isn't this the pits? We were "only" supposed to be hitting 101 today so I canceled my provider's visit and headed out to get the oil changed in my car (poor car was long overdue) and a haircut. LOL, I haven't had a proper haircut since April so I was kinda looking like an '80s rocker! I just got home and my knees are twice the size they were and I feel like hammered crap. The weather report lied -- we're at 105 right now.

I've been staying in, too. I pay all of my bills online, do one big grocery shop at the beginning of the month with my provider's help, and keep the errand-running to a bare minimum. So, it stinks that we have to suffer so badly when we need to venture out! I hate this so, so much. I've even tried going out early in the morning when the temps aren't at their peak but I found that the humidity is really high in the morning. That's bad, too.