Thread: tramadol

Thanks

Default tramadol

well gp has put me on tramadol now because pain has become bad is anyone else on this and how long does it take to kick in as i really need some relief soon and are you suffering any side affects

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I liked tramadol. Didn't have any side effects and it managed the pain rather nicely. As far as kick in time, I found relief within the hour. Good luck!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

my wife is on tramadol. she has used 100 and 200 strength. no side effects.
    she has bad knees. first one now replaced, and a bad back.

Thanks

Tramadol is good stuff. It manages regular pain effectively with no side effects. It's my go-to pain med unless I'm in severe pain -- for that, I take hydrocodone.

Note, though, that if you have migraines and take Imitrex, there is a drug interaction between Tramadol and Imitrex so taking those at the same time is a no-no.

Thanks

I loved my tramadol. Best pain medicine I've ever had when I needed it. But my doctor wont refill my prescription because "Im young and it can be addictive". I only took it when I really needed it though. I hope it works well for you!
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

yuuuuck. i hate tramadol. I think im allergic to it. had a swollen tongue and throat and it made me psycho haha. all i wanted to do was punch on. needless to say i dont take that anymore. endone is much better but most doctors are reluctant to prescribe it because of it being highly addictive. I didnt find tramadol worked at all to relieve the pain but i was in a really bad flare so might just have been that i needed something stronger. hope it works for you!
    Diagnosed with SLE and Antiphospholipid Syndrom - June 2010

Thanks

I take Tramadol and have for many years. I suspect it is not as effective now as it was initially because I do take it daily and have developed a tolerance (and addiction) to it. When I skip it, I do go into withdrawal. However, unlike other opiates, it has no long-term "high" to it so it is not psychologically addictive. That is, I do not crave it and this means it can be easy to forget (hence the withdrawal effects!)

For some it works well on an as needed basis. If you can get by with it that way, I think that's best.

I had no significant side effects other than for the first week or two about 1.5 hours after taking it I would feel kind of goofy for about 20 minutes or so. Just loopy. Not sleepy or anything but kind of "high" and giggly. It would pass and then I'd be fine. So until you know how it affects you, don't "operate heavy machinery."

After adjusting to it, like most meds, this side effect went away completely . It has very mild serotonergic and noradrenergic effects like some anti-depressants. Again, these go away quickly for most people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KCat For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-09-2011)

Thanks

No side effects after being on tramadol for years.

Kcat, My doc told me to skip doses of tramadol at night, to give your brain a rest from it, and then it will respond to it again. I've tried it and it did help make it more effective. Not as much as one would like, but still, you take what you can get.

Thanks

I was just prescribed Tramadol also until I see the rheumi on the 29th. I will start it tonight after work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lupyme View Post
    No side effects after being on tramadol for years.

Kcat, My doc told me to skip doses of tramadol at night, to give your brain a rest from it, and then it will respond to it again. I've tried it and it did help make it more effective. Not as much as one would like, but still, you take what you can get.
    After this many years (since '99), I don't think I could do that. I get chills after 8 hours between doses and at 10 hours ugly stuff starts happening. Perhaps if I'm sleeping through it I could manage. Last time I missed doses it was when I slept through the first missed dose. Missing a dose gets bad. Missing two doses is really ugly. My body is addicted. But yes, I think it's a good idea to limit it like that if you can. For folks starting out on it, keep this in mind, please. I wish I'd known better when I started taking it. It was originally prescribed by my GP with good intentions as a "non-opiate" which of course, it is not. It is an opiate but in a complex sense that is beyond the scope of this forum.

All analgesics work best when taken regularly - including aspirin. BUT most of us also develop tolerance to the medications we take, especially pain killers and our livers, clear them faster. Hence the problem with drugs like this. It works best when taken regularly but it begins to lose efficacy faster. Same is true for sleep meds, muscle relaxants, antihistamines, etc.

Such a pain! Literally and figuratively.