Thread: lupus or rosacea and dry skin??

Thanks

Default lupus or rosacea and dry skin??

I was told i have rosacea and seb derm. However burning facial skin gone now that i have seb derm under control. Face still goes red from sun or nicorrete. Also have small pink dots on arms , some spider veins on chest and hands turn red (not really painful) and then go back to normal but there are some spider veins around tips. Never had the classic butterfly rash but having used protopic and steroids on face for years could that have suppressed the rash?

Just wondering as skin probs extend beyond face and dont have spots or papules and as nicorette can bring on a flare could this be a sign of lupus?

Also get some joint pains in knees, at elbows and numbness in fingers and toes, could it just be poor ciruclation?

Does the lupus rash on face tend to develop gradually over years and can it come and go in anything from 30 mins to one hour or few hours if in the early stages?

Also nicorette gum seems to set skin off a bit .

M

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

hi m,
    sorry i can not help with your questions.
    but i did want to say hi.

Thanks

Hi welcome to our family. I will try to tell you my experience. My butterfly flush came 1st when drinking wine or after sun or extreme heat. It rarely gets pimples. It is more like a welt and the longer I have lupus, the blush stays lightly. Stress will bring it on, so I bet nicotine would too. Not sure about that. I would ask doc to refer me to rheumy eye joints are swollen and ache. They can feel for fluid. Hope this helps.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL. There are so many different kinds of Lupus rashes that there really isn't a "lupus rash" except the malar (butterfly on the face) and even that is very different in texture from person to person. I would suggest that you see a rhumatologist and/or a dermatologist.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hello? I am new to this sight myself but I too have an issue withdry skin. I have never had that issue before. I was wondering if the Lupus caused it or is it the medication or a comb between the two. It's frustrTing cause it looks like I have dandruf of the skin and especially on my scalp. During the winter it's worse and I really not sure what to do about it. I oil my scalp but eventually that just builds up dirt and then I have to wash it out and back to dry scalp again. Just a vicious cycle that drives me bonkers. If anyone has an idea What to do please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

For me the rash (the first of my symptoms) appeared very suddenly over night after a day at the beach during which I got some bad sunburn on my back and shoulders. I'm generally very red across my cheeks but not the classic butterfly rash and this will get worse if i'm stressed or if I drink alcohol of any sort and also spread down onto my upper chest area. I also get lumps (bigger than pimples but not huge) and sometimes my face hurts and itches so bad I could claw my skin off. My dermotologist (after about 4 years) decided it wasn't caused by lupus but was in fact Rosacea. Got medication to clear that up and hey presto.... he then discovered that the lupus rash was underneath. I've given up properly trying to clear the rashes although I do have a cream that causes really dry skin that the dermo said I have to use morning and night for the rosacea but in his words "I'm just playing with it now, we can't actually cure either of these things". If you want to see my rash, there are pictures in my profile thingy here from the first couple of days when it all started.
    Numpty:- (num-p-tee) dialect, chiefly Scot, ~n. 1. a bumbling fool: one who is intellectually challenged. 2. widely known in Scotland as an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament).