Thread: sudden rash

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default sudden rash

If anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. I have a red rash on the backs of both calves. It itches. It isn't anywhere else. I just noticed it when the water from the shower hit it. I've not eaten anything different, nor used any lotions, detergents or anything else other than the usual. I've not come into contact with any plants. I was at the state fair this evening but I had on long pants and it was in the evening. To quote the annoying commercial that has been playing out here: "could it be lupus?" Seriously, is this part of the lupus fun? Thanks!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

with what you have been coping with recently......
    could it be stress?

i have stress rashes at times.
    another reason why i try to avoid any type of stress nowdays.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-07-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

me stressed? if stress caused me to break out in a rash, I'd be a walking head to toe rash. Seriously, maybe my body is revolting. Better than a migraine...
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

My lupus journey began with a bumpy, itchy rash. Currently it is on my lower back and calfs. The interesting thing is that it is symmetrical. A rash that is symmetrical is generally thought to be some type of systemic reaction. I've had my rash for almost a year now and there is no sign of going away. My rheumy and dermatologist agree that it is not a "standard" lupus rash but may, instead, be a reaction to whatever is going on in my body. I think you are right, my skin is revolting.

I've been on plaquenil for seven weeks now and it hasn't had much affect on the rash yet. Antihistamines (reactin to be specific) do seem to take some of the itch and irritation away. I still wonder if it's linked to diet. There is a similar looking rash associated with wheat intolerance.

If your rash is like mine heat (like a hot shower) will really bother it.

Good luck. Don't scratch - lol.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I had many different types of rashes before my plaquenil kicked in at about 4 months. I have SLE but I also have Discoid Lupus so there is a double whammy of rashes. Prior to Lupus I had no rashes at all. The question of " is this a Lupus thing" is always really hard to answer. Lupus affects us all differently. Yes there are standard Lupus rashes but with there being so much going on in our bodies it is quite likely that it is a rash brought on by Lupus but not an official "lupus rash". I hope that makes sense
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

running girl (08-07-2011)

Thanks

Always rashes......forever and a day rashes. I get them on and off all day long. Some itch, some don't. They're mainly on my hands and wrists and the insides of my forearms up to the elbows. Zyrtec only helps mildly. Also when I take a hot shower, I will have red all over from the heat of the water, but it lasts a long time. This is something recent that I've noticed.

ETA: Mari you doing okay today?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manderson View Post
    Always rashes......forever and a day rashes. I get them on and off all day long. Some itch, some don't. They're mainly on my hands and wrists and the insides of my forearms up to the elbows. Zyrtec only helps mildly. Also when I take a hot shower, I will have red all over from the heat of the water, but it lasts a long time. This is something recent that I've noticed.

ETA: Mari you doing okay today?
    One time I went to the doctor (not the ER this week just my doctor) his nurse commented about the rash on my arms and legs and asked if this is why I am coming. I looked up at her and laughed. She seemed very confused until I said "No, that isn't the reason. I guess it has been there for so long that I didn't notice it!"

As for how I am doing.. That is a delicate question. As long as I stay down and try not to do much I feel fine. As soon as I get up and get going I start to feel it. Tomorrow I have to go see a young man who is in the hospital because he recently had a bone marrow transplant. We have not been able to see him since that day and I really need to get there. I also need to take my daughter school shopping. So I guess the best answer from me is "ask me tomorrow night LOL"

Thanks for asking though! I appreciate it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I can't stand a hot shower- not only is it painfull but i get real red and stay that way for a while. What I consider a nice warm temp. my wife finds bone chilling.
    I have found that after being on plaquenil for 15 mos my skin is much clearer-I've lost most of the disc shaped bumps and my rashes are much better ,but I still get immediate extreme reaction to minimal sun exposure.