Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One more time ...

Thanks

Default One more time ...

I'm giving an electronic cigarette kit another go so I hopefully can kick tobacco completely. I'm not a heavy smoker, and I smoked ultra-lights, but it's of course better for us not to smoke ciggies at all. With me, it's more of a comforting ritual than an addiction to nicotine and that, unfortunately, is harder to break.

I tried using an e-cig before but the liquid gave me a bad sore throat. I think it was actually stronger than the real cigs I had been smoking. Also, the e-cig was a bit too heavy and rigid for my swollen, weak fingers to handle. I got frustrated and quit using it.

However, I bought a different kit that arrived in the mail today and I think I've got a decent chance of success with it. The E-cig and cartridges come in a pack that looks exactly like a cigarette pack! The e-cig is lighter and the tips are soft, like a real ciggy. Best of all, the liquid nicotine is a different type that isn't likely to cause a sore throat. I've been puffing on it all day and so far, so good.

If y'all would, keep your fingers crossed that it works this time! If anyone else has used an e-cigarette to quit and has some advice, I'd love to hear it! With me, the ritual and physical habit is more important than the nicotine so I'm trying to use it as much like a real cigarette as possible. Having a real-looking cigarette pack for it is a plus. And I'm even putting it in an ashtray between uses, LOL.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

the thing that helped me to quit.....
    was to do something with my fingers.

when i quit i was showing movies in sports clubs.
    smoking was allowed in the club.
    so i was in a smokey environment all day, and 1/2 the night.
    i purchased a carton of straight pretzils.
    that is 12 tins.
    i used to slowly chew on a pretzil, instead of holding a cigarete.

there is less calories in a pretzil, than it takes to chew it.... so it is kind of healthy. lol

it worked for me.

also i was very stuborn.

i believe being stubon was the most important, if you are not determined, it is easy to fall.

Thanks

LOL Steve -- I tried the pretzel stick thing several years ago. Major fail and I gained 5 pounds in two weeks. I was seriously bummed. I cannot involve food in my quest to quit because if I gain weight and still can't quit, it's twice the fail.

I'm really vigilant about keeping trim. Any extra weight on my joints causes more pain. At one time when I was having to take a lot of pred., I gained 20 pounds and felt awful.

Aside from dropping me off on a desert island with no people, ciggy shops or tobacco plants, lol, I think this electronic cigarette is my very best hope. It almost worked last time, if it wasn't for the bad sore throat. But this new liquid isn't causing that so far, so YAY!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

The ellectronic thing works well but make sure to get one made in the US or somewhere other from China etc. Although the ones from the US are not FDA approved all of the ingredients are. With those from other places you have no idea what is in there
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I think just about all of them are made in China cuz the Chinese invented it. Once when I was waiting for prescriptions at the pharmacy, the Chinese pharmacist saw my e-cig and was going on to everyone about how cool it was, a real help for smokers, and his country invented it. I was like, OK, whatever! lol. I bought mine from a UK company but it's still Chinese-made, I think. For a while, the US was trying to ban them and confiscated shipments from other countries. That put American suppliers out of business. Stupid government. They were just trying to figure out if they could big-time tax these things like tobacco.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi there!
    So... ehem... please don't mind my ignorance, but what exactly does an e cigarette do? Or what are they for and how do they make you quit?
    LOL - I don't smoke, and i've only seen advertisements online for an electronic cigarette, so I have no idea!

Anywho - I hope you succeed in quitting, I really do (: Good luck!

Thanks

Hi Elo,
    An electronic cigarette simulates smoking. The end of the long battery tube that looks like a cigarette actually lights up when you take a drag from the e-cig. And, inside the cartridge tip, there is a mix of liquid that includes nicotine (or not), water, and vegetable oil. An atomizer inside the tube
    heats up the liquid when you take a drag and turns it into water vapor that looks like smoke.

People like myself have trouble quitting because we're used to the physical habit of smoking just as much or more than the nicotine. It's a ritual -- you have a cigarette with your morning coffee, you light up after meals, etc. You're used to having a cigarette in your hand and puffing on it throughout your day. That's why the e-ciggy is SO helpful. You're getting some nicotine but you've also got a device that makes it feel like you're smoking.

Plus, you're not tempted to eat to fill the void left by smoking -- the whole "oral fixation" thing. Puffing on the E-cig takes care of that AND the nicotine liquid comes in flavors! I bought chocolate this time, lol. The liquids come in a lot of different flavors plus nicotine strengths -- from 18 mgs. down to 0 mgs. The important thing is you're not getting all of the tar and chemicals from smoke. The nicotine they use for these liquids is safe, pharmaceutical grade.

Thanks for the good wishes! I'm 2 days tobacco-free now and still no sore throat. YAY!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuliaL For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-07-2011), tgal (08-07-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Interesting thread,

Although I know that stopping smoking can be a difficult, monumental task, I don't know much more about smoking than that. I've heard the term "E-cigarette", but never knew much about what the product is. The technology involved sounds downright cool. A convincing simulator that allows you to dial down the nicotine content to a point where you have a real chance of breaking the habit, that's pretty amazing.

I won't nag. I'll just wish you luck in quitting. We have enough to worry about already, and if we can gain control of, and then eliminate something that could cause us even more problems as time goes on, then that's a good thing to pursue in my book.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 08-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-07-2011)

Thanks

Good Luck, be positive and decide that you have already licked it. I quit 15 years ago by "addicting" myself to cough drops. I'm off the cough drops now too.

It's not easy, but you can do it.

All the best.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by running girl View Post
    Good Luck, be positive and decide that you have already licked it.
    great comment......
    decide you have already licked it.