Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, Everyone!

Thanks

Smile Hi, Everyone!

I am very happy to have discovered this site. After years of wondering what was going on with my health, I finally feel like I have some answers.

I received a lupus diagnosis about a month ago from a great rheumatologist who started me on plaquenil, which I hope starts working within the next month or so.

My question to the rest of you - did you get a second opinion when you were diagnosed? My first rheumatologist visit was with hands down the best doctor I had ever seen - she spent three hours with me and the second visit where I received the diagnosis was about three hours as well. She studied under lupus experts at UCLA, and I really trust her opinion. However, my family kept encouraging me to get a second diagnosis, which does make sense, given that lupus is a serious illness. I felt guilty doing so because I am perfectly happy with my rheumatologist and had accepted the diagnosis but thought it would help my family accept it better if I got a second opinion. I figured the second doctor would probably confirm the diagnosis, so it couldn't hurt. I saw this doctor a few days ago. Before she even looked at my information, after I told her why I was there (to get a second opinion on lupus treatment) the first words out of her mouth were "if you even have that at all". She knew I was coming in for a second opinion and that I had lab results already, so she only gave a very brief exam. She said she really hesitates to give a lupus diagnosis as it can have serious consequences (like not being able to get life insurance) and thought I should have my thyroid checked as that could potentially explain a lot of my symptoms. She doubted the lupus diagnosis despite a positive ANA (although only 1:80), arthritis in back, neck, knees, spine, bursitis in hip, malar rash, photosensitivity, and a list of other things found by the first rheumatologist. I guess since my blood work was relatively normal (except for slight anemia, positive ANA, and high c-reactive protein) she was dismissive of the long list of clinical symptoms found by the first doctor.

I know it is very common to take a long time to get a diagnosis and that many doctors hesitate to give it - but just wanted to see if it is common to get another opinion - even if just on treatment. It has taken about five years of having various symptoms and seeing numerous doctors before getting to this point, so I was actually very relieved when I found out and the second opinion put a small seed of doubt in my mind. However, my gut tells me to just stay with the first opinion so I think that is what I will do, even though my husband keeps telling me I should get a third opinion.

Before a month ago, I knew very little about lupus. Two people at work also have it, but I don't have much opportunity to talk to them about it, so I hope to meet some more people who can relate to what I am going through.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, just wanted to say "hi" and I look forward to meeting some new people
    Last edited by lrs76; 08-06-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi lrs76!
    This might kind sound of harsh, but please hear me out, i'm not trying to be mean.
    The thing you have to realize, is that many people go through doctor after doctor like the second one that you saw, people who barely glance you over and think you're just overreacting, or it's not that big of a deal. Honey, you are so lucky to have found a rheumy who diagnosed you!
    It's understandable to want to get a second opinion, but if you're sick and in pain for so long...does it really matter what the name of it is, as long as you know it's something, and you can try to do something about it?

Honestly, what I would try to do is just do some research of your own. If you look online and at other peoples stories on here, and think to yourself, that sounds like me, or you feel a certain connection with Lupus symptoms, then I really don't think you need another opinion.

If you still feel kind of nagging, like you're not experiencing a lot of this... then maybe talk to the rheumy you already have.

I'm no doctor..umm..but I don't think that thyroid problems would cause you joint pain or swelling..:/

Ooh, ooh! I know! What if you did get your thyroid checked? I took the test myself - just a simple T4 total. Not too expensive, just a quick blood test. If it comes back normal or whatever, or wouldn't explain your symptoms, maybe you can just skip over that doctor as being kind of a quack, and be happy you found such a wonderful one in the first place (:

Anyways, this is all just opinions and my thoughts. I actually haven't been diagnosed yet... I'm waiting to be though. I've gone through 3 horrible doctors, and now i've finally found one good one who took me seriously. Researching online, I found out about lupus, and I really felt like that was what I had. Still trying to find a diagnosis though - besides being told I have an autoimmune disease.

Anywho!!! Welcome to the forum and the family! I'm glad you found us - i can understand not wanting to have Lupus, since it is serious, but like we sometimes say around here... if you're already sick, what's it matter what it's called, as long as it's treated? (That being said, everybody still hates getting diagnosed)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

lrs76 (08-06-2011)

Thanks

Welcome Irs76,

I have a great rheumy who feels strongly I have lupus. She has put me on Plaquenil and it seems to be helping with my symptoms. She is caring and calls to check in to see how I am doing.

Recently I was at my family doctor for an unrelated issue and he looked over the report and lab tests that she sent to him and he said there was nothing wrong with me. He said she is nuts for treating me and that there was ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with me. I asked him what he thought my symptoms were caused by and he said "What, you want to be sick? You want to be on Medication for the rest of your life? There is NOTHING wrong with you!"....nice, what a jerk. Strange thing is it was him who sent me to her. I was seeing him about my skin problems, when I developed Raynaud's and my ana results were high.

Anyway, I do trust my rheumy but I now ask for copies of all of my test results and reports. I do a lot of reading and on-line searching. I ask lots of questions and go with my gut. AND I look to the real experts for information. The real experts are the folks on this site. They are the ones I'm learning from. What a great group. Thank you!! and Welcome

5. The Following User Says Thank You to running girl For This Useful Post:

lrs76 (08-06-2011)

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

I totally understand you family wanting you to get a second opinion; mine did too. The people we love soooo don't want us to have to deal with something chronic like lupus. What Elo said is right on the money. Most of us go through several doctors until we get lucky, like you, and find one who will take the time to try to diagnose and treat our ridiculously complicated and ever-changing symptoms.

It sounds to me like you've already made your decision. Of course you don't wanna have lupus; lupus sucks. So having a doctor tell you you might not have it is appealing. But I think your gut is telling you to go with your first doc. And it's so important that everyone, but especially those of us with autoimmune diseases, listen to our bodies.

It's also quite possible that your first doc will change your diagnoses will change with time and research. I went from an "unspecified autoimmune disorder", to lupus and Sjogren's, and now my Rheumy is building a case for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease.

What I'm trying to say here (through the brain fog) is that these illnesses are so incredibly complex, with many overlapping on top of each other, and I wouldn't trust the best Rheumatologist in the world to diagnose me in 20 minutes.

Running girl is completely right. You have found what I consider to be the most knowlegable collection of lupies on the web. Most of us don't have degrees in medicine, but our combined experiences, as well as this awesome sense of family, make WHL a big part of my healthcare team.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpiessave For This Useful Post:

Elo (08-06-2011), lrs76 (08-06-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

First let me welcome you to WHL. I am so glad that you found us. Like the others before me I have to agree that you actually were really lucky. Most of us go through doctor after doctor trying to figure out what is wrong with us! We hit a place we we wonder if we are crazy and lazy but no one is helping. When we finally find a doctor who is willing to help us and name our disease it is complete relief! it is scary but there is relief because the lazy thing isn't true (the crazy one is but just in a different way LOL).

I am not a doctor and I cannot tell you what to do but I will tell you that getting a Lupus diagnosis is hard. Not getting a Lupus diagnosis is easy. Many doctors will give you every other diagnosis and ignore the possibility of Lupus. I know your family means well but if you found a doctor that you are comfortable with that doctor I would say trust your gut. Remember that your family is made up of healthy people and, no matter how much they love us that can't understand what is really going on. When we find a doctor that "gets us" we need to hang on with both hands!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

lrs76 (08-06-2011)

Thanks

Hi, Elo

Thank you so much for the response. You are right and I completely realize I was lucky to have found a great doctor. I went through many years of having some doctors barely glance me over before finding a primary who believed me and a rheumy who took the time to really evaluate me. I was actually very relieved to get the diagnosis - like you said, the fact is that I haven't been well for a while and now have someone who will help me get better and I shouldn't let the second doctor's opinion sway me. But I willl ask for the thyroid check just to rule it out

I am sorry to hear that you also had bad doctor experiences but glad to hear that you too have found a great doctor. I hope you get an answer soon - it is frustrating being in limbo.

I appreciate the advice and the welcome.

lrs76

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lrs76 For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-06-2011)

Thanks

Hi, running girl

That's great to hear that you are feeling better with Plaquenil - I have heard great things about it and do feel like it has started to help somewhat but know that it can take a couple of months to really take effect, so I have another month to go. I have a co-worker with lupus, ra, and sjorgrens and she said she loved being on it but had to stop because it affected her eyes, but that she would be still taking it if not for that.

That must have been really frustrating to endure having your family doctor negate the rheumatologist. It's interesting how doctors will do that. I saw a GI doctor the other day and when I told him I had been diagnosed with lupus he asked if my doctor was sure I had it. That's awful that your doctor implied that there is nothing wrong with you when you clearly know that is not the case. However, it is good that you have a great rheumy.

Like you, I have also learned to start asking for copies of all of my test results. It was actually because I had done so that I was able to get into the rheumatologist. I was looking over results that a neurologist had ordered - she had told me to follow up with my primary and he had copies, but she had also said the labs looked normal other than that I was slightly anemic. I figured my primary would call if there was anything really wrong, but never heard anything so I forgot about it temporarily. About a month or so later after I had not been feeling well, I took out the lab results and really started looking at them. I had to lookup what most of the tests meant and that was when I noticed that the ANA was positive and 1:80. In my research online, I kept seeing positive ANA linked with information on lupus, so I went to see my primary (who had not received a copy of the results) and he agreed that it needed further evaluation and then that opened the door to the great rheumy. However, if I had just taken the results from the neurologist who said the labs were fine and had not looked them over more thoroughly, it could have been a lot longer to get a diagnosis. I think I am going to need to start a binder to keep all of my paperwork organized

How has the lupus affected your running? I am assuming you are a runner based on your name I was into running for about ten years and then it tapered off over the past ten years but I keep hoping I can get back into it. Maybe once the Plaquenil kicks in and my joints are better, I might be able to start back up again. I started Pilates two months ago and really think that has helped my joints.

I agree with you - the experts are the people on this site who are living with lupus and other autoimmune disorders.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
    lrs76

Thanks

Hi, sharpiessave

Thank you for the response - your words have really helped put my mind at ease . It is true that loved ones come from a good place and actually seem to have a harder time accepting it than we do. I hit the jackpot on my first rheumy, but had also gone through several primary physicians and two neurologists (after having had MS workup which was fortunately ruled out) before getting to a rheumy. I had one doctor at Kaiser tell me that they had done a lot for me already when I told her that I still wasn't feeling better. Another told me I should go to stress management classes and another suggested deep breathing. Not to say those suggestions were bad, but the doctors at Kaiser didn't want to investigate further. I finally decided that I would switch to HealthNet during open enrollment last year with the hope of finding a primary that wouldn't think I was a crazy hypochondriac. Kaiser was very good when I was healthy and I think it would be fine if I went back after getting the diagnosis, it just wasn't so good while in limbo.

I agree with both you and Running Girl -lupies will collectively have the most knowledge. This is such a great resource as well as a great group of people.

Thanks

Hi, tgal

Thank you for the welcome - I have been a reader of various forums for years but this is the first time I have ever participated. I appreciate how welcoming this group is and look forward to getting to know people better. You hit the nail on the head - I was so relieved to finally have an explanation for all of these seemingly unconnected symptoms that I didn't really have a problem accepting the diagnosis. I think I will just go with the first opinion and keep holding on with both hands

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lrs76 For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-06-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

hi lrs76,
    welcome to our cyber family.
    i am happy to see you have fitted in so well.

you are with good friends.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

lrs76 (08-06-2011), tgal (08-06-2011)