Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ticked off!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i am in australia, so i do not know the american system..........
    but is there some form of complain proccess.
    the actions of the financial lady, and the doctor are far from acceptable.

someone needs to change their attutude before they kill someone by there inaction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Ya know, what happened today was absolutely horrible and I have to say that I have never been made to feel so worthless in my lifetime. While the finance woman was outwardly horrible looking back at it I became saddened by the Cardiologist. He had the staff run almost all the tests on me and he came to see me right after W***CH lady so it didn't hit me right away but what happened with him made me sad. He walked in and told me that everything looked OK on the tests today however we need to find out if I have a blood clot somewhere (especially since I have that lovely clotting problem) and we have to do a stress test. He then told me to make an appointment with his office to do the stress test. I told him that I have no insurance and can't afford that. You would think that he would offer suggestions on how we could get it done since he was so adamant about me having one but he didn't do that. He looked at me and kind of shrugged before saying "Well, maybe you can go to one of your old doctors or at that hospital in Tomball to get it done because they may take people like you".

People like me. What does that mean "People like me". People who are ill and need help? People who lost everything because of a medical condition that too 2 years to diagnosed with? Ohh maybe "people like me" who worked my entire life just to be told that, on disability, I make too much money (HA) to fit in the indigent category so I can't have any medical care until Oct of 2012. No, what he meant was very clear by his body language, "People like me" meant people hadn't planned their life well enough so they are in this situation with no health insurance. Surely, had I been saving for a rainy day rainy day and would never be in this position.

People like me. I will tell you who "people like me" really are. We are strong, ill people that have put up with too much bulls**t by "people like you" .
    "people like you" think that all the years of schooling have made you an expert of all things. "People like me" are kind, caring people that pick up the souls of the other people that you have stepped on your way up to sainthood. "people like me" are what you wish you could be.

People like you, however, go out to lunch with "people like Financial woman" and feel like equals doing it. "people like me" come to WHL and help those harmed by an encounter with "people like you"

exhales deeply. OK, I am done now. I have it all out of my system. Thanks to each and every one of you for your help today. I do adore all of the other "people like me" that have made a home here at WHL
    Oh no. Are you trapped in that 2 1/2 year wait for Medicare after you've been approved for SSD? If so, I unfortunately know the drill. I was one of the few who was approved for SSD just 10 weeks after I applied (yep, I was in a very bad way and had tons of medical documentation to prove it) so I had to wait over 2 years for Medicare. I kept the insurance I had with the school district through COBRA for as long as I could but I had to pay the $400/month premium myself, plus all of the copays and out-of-pocket expenses. I ran out of money several months before Medicare kicked in.

Texas is not a good place to have this happen, either. You have to have nothing to get any help and, yeah, the SSD amount is considered "too high." Since I have home health off and on, I had the HH social worker helping me to find some sort of medical assistance. It just didn't exist. I even called the governor's office begging for help. To his credit, his office did hook me up with an ombudsman for health care to try to find assistance for me. She was super-nice and very frustrated when she had to tell me there was nothing. She told me that it makes her so angry that "people like us" fall through the cracks -- and there are millions of us!

So, here's what I figured out on my own -- go to the non-profit hospital systems. Set up an appointment with their resource assistance office. We have a Baptist hospital here that has been absolutely wonderful to me. Even now that I have Medicare, they still signed me up for their assistance program that covers the 20 percent that Medicare doesn't pay and any other copays. Have you tried St. Luke's Episcopal Health System? I've heard great things about them helping people.

These "for profit" places that have no compassion for "people like us" will get what's coming to them. I truly believe that. It's beyond sad when people in the healing professions can't spare any compassion or even courtesy to those who don't have a lot of money and Cadillac insurance. Even if I did have a lot of money, I wouldn't WANT to pay people like that to care for me!

Hang in there, hon. I know it's frustrating, scary, and so unfair but you will win and you will be all the stronger for it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaL For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-05-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaL View Post
    Oh no. Are you trapped in that 2 1/2 year wait for Medicare after you've been approved for SSD? If so, I unfortunately know the drill. I was one of the few who was approved for SSD just 10 weeks after I applied (yep, I was in a very bad way and had tons of medical documentation to prove it) so I had to wait over 2 years for Medicare. I kept the insurance I had with the school district through COBRA for as long as I could but I had to pay the $400/month premium myself, plus all of the copays and out-of-pocket expenses. I ran out of money several months before Medicare kicked in.

Texas is not a good place to have this happen, either. You have to have nothing to get any help and, yeah, the SSD amount is considered "too high." Since I have home health off and on, I had the HH social worker helping me to find some sort of medical assistance. It just didn't exist. I even called the governor's office begging for help. To his credit, his office did hook me up with an ombudsman for health care to try to find assistance for me. She was super-nice and very frustrated when she had to tell me there was nothing. She told me that it makes her so angry that "people like us" fall through the cracks -- and there are millions of us!

So, here's what I figured out on my own -- go to the non-profit hospital systems. Set up an appointment with their resource assistance office. We have a Baptist hospital here that has been absolutely wonderful to me. Even now that I have Medicare, they still signed me up for their assistance program that covers the 20 percent that Medicare doesn't pay and any other copays. Have you tried St. Luke's Episcopal Health System? I've heard great things about them helping people.

These "for profit" places that have no compassion for "people like us" will get what's coming to them. I truly believe that. It's beyond sad when people in the healing professions can't spare any compassion or even courtesy to those who don't have a lot of money and Cadillac insurance. Even if I did have a lot of money, I wouldn't WANT to pay people like that to care for me!

Hang in there, hon. I know it's frustrating, scary, and so unfair but you will win and you will be all the stronger for it!
    That is wonderful advice but I actually live in a small town and I have no hospitals, or access to them, in my county. I have spent the last year trying to find one that would work with me but basically it is the same all the way around. Some are nicer then others but I am out of luck in trying to find "local"

Thanks for trying though! I am going to try calling some places in Harris County (Houston) to see if they will accept me but it isn't looking good. I will let you know what happens. Thank you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Tgal,
    Have you applied with DADS yet? It's the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services. I'm sure you would qualify and there is a waiting list for services but once they get you on the programs, they're SO helpful. They pay for me to have housekeeping and attendant services and I'm on a waiting list for Medicaid through them. (They use different criteria than HHS so you qualify because you're disabled, not because you're indigent.)

If you haven't signed up yet, do. It's a good resource and they'll find services to help you no matter where you live.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuliaL For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-06-2011), steve.b (08-05-2011)

Thanks

Ok, now I'm just mad. I don't know what I was before (bewildered, maybe) but now I'm just full of mad. It takes a special kind of idiocy that they only teach in schools you have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend to even THINK about looking down your nose at my Tgal.

Lady, I've only known you a short while, but in that time I've been awed by you. You're a teacher, guidance counsiler, cheerleader, and friend to hundreds of people who've never even met you. You're one of our constants here, one of the people we can absolutely always count on to just be there to listen, if nothing else.

Stupid, stupid doctor, making you feel less than amazing. If I wasn't such a pacifist I'd wanna punch him in the throat. I don't know why I picked his throat, but I'm sticking with it.

Throat Puncher would also be an ok band name.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharpiessave For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-06-2011), lrs76 (08-06-2011), n.mac (08-06-2011)

Thanks

I'm late to the party tgal, but I'm horrified at how you were treated at the "private" hospital. Obviously, patient care isn't care isn't their number one priority.

I am relieved to hear that you ate feeling better, in spite of their treatment. Poo-poo heads!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BonusMom View Post
    ....... Poo-poo heads!
    i had to quote this.
    well said.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaL View Post
    Tgal,
    Have you applied with DADS yet? It's the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services. I'm sure you would qualify and there is a waiting list for services but once they get you on the programs, they're SO helpful. They pay for me to have housekeeping and attendant services and I'm on a waiting list for Medicaid through them. (They use different criteria than HHS so you qualify because you're disabled, not because you're indigent.)

If you haven't signed up yet, do. It's a good resource and they'll find services to help you no matter where you live.
    Would it be impolite to hug you? I have NEVER heard of them! I will try anything and have searched and searched and searched but I thought I was out of places to go. THANK YOU!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiessave View Post
    Ok, now I'm just mad. I don't know what I was before (bewildered, maybe) but now I'm just full of mad. It takes a special kind of idiocy that they only teach in schools you have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend to even THINK about looking down your nose at my Tgal.

Lady, I've only known you a short while, but in that time I've been awed by you. You're a teacher, guidance counsiler, cheerleader, and friend to hundreds of people who've never even met you. You're one of our constants here, one of the people we can absolutely always count on to just be there to listen, if nothing else.

Stupid, stupid doctor, making you feel less than amazing. If I wasn't such a pacifist I'd wanna punch him in the throat. I don't know why I picked his throat, but I'm sticking with it.

Throat Puncher would also be an ok band name.
    You are so very sweet (and very good for my ego! LOL I don't do anything different then everyone here does; anything different then you. There is something about this illness that begs for understanding and this place gives us that. I see people here every day helping someone when I know that he/she isn't well themselves. I believe that it helps us to help others like us. So often we get lost in our own pain and despair that helping someone else the is the only way that we can pull ourselves out of the dark place we are sitting in and start to see some of the clouds above us starting to part.

Thank you again for being so kind. It means a lot to me
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Sickening. I'm glad you're out of there and hope you can find help through DADS. I'd never heard of it either. Good luck! I too was wondering which hospital this is. If it's near the north side, odds are I won't ever be in a position to use it since I'm down in League City. But, man. Doesn't sound like a place I'd want any of my loved ones to end up. I'm sick of "health care professionals" who treat us like cash cows and when we don't produce we're just a burden on them.