Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Deficiency Among Systemic Lupus Erythematosis Patients

Thanks

At one time my Vitamin D levels were low and my endocrinologist put me on Vitamin D. I don't know what they are now. I'll have to ask my doctor next time I see her.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was low on D so now i have to take it everyday.. i didn't think it had anything to do with lupus..

Thanks

I too Have a vitamin D deficiency & I have to take one a wk 50000 IU's. This has happened to me before so it's highly possible that lupus has an affect on the lack of vitamin D in your body. I am no dr but how many ppl who have Lupus have this issue? It's good to beable to talk these things so ppl are able to compare notes.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

It is kind of a catch 22 on the Vit D. The disease seems to make us low on Vit. D but we can't get in the sun to replenish the Vit D so we just stuck
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

This is a very interesting article. I had very low Vit. D found a few years ago, I took a course of 50,000 dosage for a while and it went up to normal. Than again....we did the same treatment. The test for D that I did last week was borderline low. I am not sure if the doc will treat it or not, I havnt heard back.

I live in high elevation so even a little time outside is a big dose of sun. In fact when I first moved here I sat outside on a semi-sunny day for 30 min and my exposed skin was raised, patchy, burning, red disgusting-ness like I had never seen before! I am pretty sure that I get enough sun to recieve the D vitamin, but my body cannot process it either by digestion or through the skin.

Thanks

Default not yet

I am new to this site so alittle about me. I am 31 live in ky and work as a nurse. I have a three yr daughter who is my world. I made a previous post about if i lupus or not. Anyway last time i had blood work they told me my vid d was borderline low and that i could just take a otc vitamin nad that should be enough. I had no idea it was linked to lupus also. I have not been diagnosed with lupus but am alomst convinced since become a memeber here that i do have it. I also have kidney stones so i was under the impression that even a vit with d in it would be bad for me. ?? anyone know if this is true. thanks hope you get your situation taken care of.

Thanks

I too suffer from low vid d... last check i was at 16. I dont know if its due to the sle but i do know that the lupus threw off my parathyroids and that controls vit d and calcium levels in the blood. i have to take calcuim and vit d supplements too on top of other meds... i found that 2000 iu a day does a great correction

Thanks

I too had Vit D low. If you look around most auto immune conditions all have low Vit D levels e.g. MS, included. My neuro started looking into it and said no matter which condition it turned out if it is low by increasing my levels could help with length of flares and remission.
    Last edited by Desleywr; 11-20-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

I see a skin cancer doctor once a year to get checked out and I cannot maintain m levels of Vit D, the doctor is always asking if I have taken my supplements.

I told him about my recent diagnosis of Sjogrens and he said it all falls into place, people with Lupus and Sjogrens are notorious for not being able to maintain Vit D levels and with one of his patients, she has bad Fibro pain and when he increased her Vit D levels and monitored her blood, her fibro pain all but went.

I have been increased to 8 tablets a day now till my prescription strength arrives, fingers crossed it helps with the awful symptoms I have.

Thanks

I was on 50,000iu a week for about 6 months to get to "normal" about 2 years ago...and have taken 1,000-2,000 a day ever since...keeps me JUST into the "normal" range. It does seem like it's a key factor in Lupus and lots of other AI diseases.