Thread: Soy causes inflammation???

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Soy causes inflammation???

I think I've seen on this site before that soy induces inflammation. Can anyone tell me for sure? I'm on Atkins so I do eat alot of soy as well as am taking soy isoflavones for menopause. I"m in a really bad flare right now and would appreciate the input.
    Catlady4520

Thanks

I think I'm the one who asked the same question a while ago. My understanding is that a lot of soy can cause a lupus flare. I am a vegetarian and used to use a lot of soy. After reading about soy and lupus, I have cut back on how much soy I have.

Thanks

Default soy

Great! I finally find a diet that really works and now soy may be the culprit of my flares! I'm on Atkins where you can eat ALOT of meat which is fine with me but I also eat the Atkins protein bars and have low carb cereal with soy in it.

Thanks for the heads up! Going to see if anyone has suggestions so I can still lose weight!
    Catlady4520

Thanks

Catlady, I've also read about soy being problematic. I used to eat a lot as well. Also vegetarian. I've cut back, though have not cut it out of my diet. I don't seem to have problems - but only have it once or twice a week now, if that.

A concern about Atkins -- many of us have to limit protein because of kidney involvement. I wonder if Atkins might not be a good idea for us. Also, we should watch out for saturated fats - that is, cut down or cut out red meats, sausages, bacon, cheese.

I've gone to a diet very heavy in veggies, fruits, whole grains, some fish (salmon, sardines, occassional tuna, tilapia, trout, etc) and find I do better with that.

Thanks

Default I have heard the same

I am in a process of much research to try to help with my Lupus, and have heard that soy may possibly be bad for joints and inflammation. I heard this a couple years ago from a sort of kooky lady at a craft fair I was working, but wrote it off as the musings of a slightly crazy lady. But after doing more searching, I think she may have been on to something. I also read that Lupus is possibly more common in Asian women, and felt there was a possible link there.

But my bigger concern here is that you are on the Atkins diet. His diet in my opinion and many others is simply not fully safe. The body desires balance and needs more than protein to function safely and effectively. Here is a good link to answer some of the basic concerns:

http://www.calorieking.com/library/a...FpZD03MzY.html

I would agree that for those with Lupus, the Kidney concerns are even greater here and should be considered very carefully.
    Good luck and health,
    Brent

Thanks

You'd be surprised at how balanced the atkins diet really is... It isn't JUST meat... Though, it is hard if you have kidney involvement *raises hand*... The greatest part of Atkins was that I wasn't hungry all the time, because the foods that you do eat satiate you... Cutting out sugars does WONDERS... If you eat more of the right carbs instead of only eating meat to compensate for the lack of starches it's actually a very good diet!

But, it is a lot more protein than someone with kidney involvement is allowed to have...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Soy

I don't have kidney involvement with my lupus...just my brain and mostly my joints. My primary dr recommended the diet and I've done really well on it. Lately with all my postop hip surgery infections, I've backed off the diet mainly because I'm in so much pain, I haven't taken the time to really get everything I need to stay on Atkins. My husband has to do the grocery shopping (I have problems with lots of walking) and guess I've been indulging some in my comfort foods.

I'm going to talk to my rheumatologist about how the diet affects lupus. Also going to attend our local lupus support group's next meeting.
    Catlady4520

Thanks

Hi there! My sister is lactose intolerant, so drank a lot of soy milk. Her Dr. told her that she was having perimenopause because of the soy. Some connection to hormones.
    I think lupus can be affected by menstrual cycles, so maybe there is some link?
    "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to Him in prayer." (Old Rugged Cross)