Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you know when you needed a cane / assisted walking device?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Ahh Grasshopper. There is still so much to learn. I shall teach you...

Knife Cane 1

Knife Cane 2

Knife Cane 3
    DUDE!! I mean, ehem, sorry, Tgal!!! AWESOME!!

If only i was actually a badass...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I knew I needed a cane as soon as trochanteric hip bursitis came to stay. I still feel weird sometimes when I am out using it but it's just the way it is and it's much easier on me and less painful then if I didn't have it. I got it at shoppers drugmart and its purple with butterflies of multiple colours all over it.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Thanks

Elo,
    I don't know about the young people in your area, but when I was teaching, my students considered a "pimp stick" to be a fashion statement.
    Many of them carried beautiful canes or walking sticks as an accessory at the prom. They often drooled over mine, and several of them begged to borrow my lion's head cane for the prom. Just walk around proudly with it, and you might start a new fashion trend - LOL!
    Hugs,
    Marla

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (08-06-2011), steve.b (08-06-2011), tgal (08-06-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Elo,
    I don't know about the young people in your area, but when I was teaching, my students considered a "pimp stick" to be a fashion statement.
    Many of them carried beautiful canes or walking sticks as an accessory at the prom. They often drooled over mine, and several of them begged to borrow my lion's head cane for the prom. Just walk around proudly with it, and you might start a new fashion trend - LOL!
    Hugs,
    Marla
    That's pretty cool! It's not like that at all here. I think the last (ehem, ONLY) time i've seen someone around here with a cane, was probably about a year ago on a Vietnam vet. So....yeah. Hehe. People around here are into looking as uh... healthy as possible. As long as healthy means revealing, and possibly orange from fake tanning, and bleached hair.
    LOL! Canes aren't a thing here. The only time i've really seen people use assisted devices, was when people use the electronic wheelchair shopping carts. So I kind of stand out (:

Thanks

So, just tell everyone that "they are all the rage in the more high-fashion cities in the country" and go on your merry way. What you want to bet that you'll have copy-cats?
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Marla, that's a trip! Your students wanting to borrow your cane is hilarious! I like the term walking stick. I think that's what I'll call it from now on.

Elo, I know how you feel. I really hated the attention too, but people quit noticing it after a while. Kinda like they get used to your new hair color.

Thanks

I used one when My left feet begin to go inward. due to Lupus eating away at my joints. But in the winter I use it alot more. The cold make my legs numb to the point I can't feel them just pain.
    Hugs
    Liz
    Diagnosed with SLE Lupus May 2nd 2011. I am taken Plaquenil, Pain Killers, muscle relaxers.