Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you know when you needed a cane / assisted walking device?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default How did you know when you needed a cane / assisted walking device?

Hi there... so, bumbling around on this forum and other sites, i've noticed that a lot of people do in fact use canes when they walk, some use crutches, and even others are in a wheelchair.

My question is...when did you know that you needed to get one of these?
    More like..how will I know when I need one? Hehe

I did a lot of walking/standing yesterday, and I was having a lot of problems. I kept having to sit down/lean on things, and a thought occurred to me... a cane might actually help.
    So meanwhile, whilst I was having major knee troubles, sitting down on benches whenever I could, refraining from much movement, my 59 year old mother had multiple times the energy, walked much faster than me, and even offered to run to the parking lot to pick me up in the car so I didn't have to walk to the parking space!
    Gah!

Anyways, just wanting your stories (:
    Hope everyone's doing well, or at least okay.

Thanks

I went to an amusement park with my family last week and used an umberella I brought to protect me from the sun as a cane. And I saw one at the pharmacy the other day when I was with my mom and told her thats what I needed. Whenever I say stuff like that she says "you cant have it both ways" because I say all the time I dont want people thinking of me as being disabled. I wish she would understand my need to feel like a normal 18 year old, while also feeling like an 80 year old woman. If you feel like one would be useful, even some of the time when you're going to be on your feet more, I'd say get one.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "pride goeth before the fall- and I don't like to fall on my face". I understand at 18 a cane or any other assistance device is not something to be happy about. I had a hard time facing it at 32 but it all comes down to what is best for you. If you can get around just fine without one, then by all means, go without. However, if you find that a cane, or crutches, wheelchair, walker, whatever help, the use them. As far as canes are concerned there are several stylish ones available. Online or in stores like CVS. If so inclined, you can even make your own cane. I, for grins and giggles and being a knitting fanatic made a cane out of a dowel rod and a tennis ball. I stained the dowel rod after cutting it to the correct length, drilled a hole in the tennis ball for the handle, glued that on, wrapped the tennis ball with yarn and wrapped some yarn around the dowel rod to look like a knitting needle. Crazy I know, but what the heck? I also have a walking stick I covered in crochet. Start a collection. Think of them as accessories, not assistance devices. Look at them in a different light. Start a trend! Be the first to use walking sticks as fashion accessories! How do you know when you need one? Simple, when walking with one is easier than walking without one.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-05-2011)

Thanks

I really understand your reticence to get one. My doc griped me out until I did. I have several now. I decided if I was gonna have to use a cane, I was gonna get cool ones. I have a couple of them that fold up. That's handy to keep in your car and in your purse. If you need it, it's there. If not, don't take it out. I even have one that has a sword inside. It's not exactly a daily use kind. I say go ahead and get a fold up one and stash it in you purse or back pack. You may only use it a couple of days a month, but you'll be glad you have it you're at the mall and your joints have petered out on you.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

My answer to this question sounds rude but please understand I mean nothing rude by it,. The answer is that you will know when you know. There comes a point where you can take those long walks when in a flare, your joints hurt too bad, you can't breathe after 3 steps or whatever. I was one that refused for a long time but when I couldn't enjoy time out with my daughter. There is just a point when you know, I haven't used mine in awhile but it is because I don't really go outside due to the excessive heat.

My personal opinion is that when you are starting to ask "how do you know when you need one" you are at, or close to, needing one.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

JuliaL (08-07-2011)

Thanks

i started using my walker when the pain and fatigue became to much for me to handle and when i am in severe flare sometimes i use wheel chair such is life but you get use to it i was embarrassed at first i thought only elderly people used walking frames but i have learned since you do what makes your life easier hugs

Thanks

I was stubborn and ignored the need until while standing in line at the post office one day, one of the postal workers was looking at me long and hard. She disappeared and showed up on the other side of the door with a chair. I was pretty green, I'm sure. And yeah, I was about to pass out from pain and low blood pressure. But I was not about to admit it. I was 32 I guess. Maybe 33. Hubby and I went and bought one of those cane chairs. It wasn't so much that I needed help walking. I walk just fine. I just can't stand still for long without support. Church is a real bear. Blood pools and blood pressure plummets as bad as the stock market and I'm down for the count.

I keep it available if I know I might have to wait in line (voting, post office, etc.) and don't give a rat's backside what anyone thinks anymore. As mentioned earlier, I've rented wheelchairs in the mall and used the scooters in the grocery stores though I no longer have to do that anymore (for now - knock on wood). But the cane chair serves me well and I'm glad I broke down and bought it.

Thanks

I started using a cane years ago - at first it was just for long walks, but it slowly became a part of me. I used it in the hallway when I was teaching. When I left the school, my sweet Junior Classical League students gave me a custom made cane with Roman figures and Roman coins on it. I have the folding cane that was my late father's and a fancy one with a lion's head handle that was my late mother-in-law's. Oh, and I have another folding cane stashed in the car. I never leave the house without one.

I started using a rollator when I had Avascular Necrosis and had knee surgery. It was very helpful in those crowded high school hallways, too. I use it in the house now. My legs are very spastic, and it really helps for those trips down the hall to the restroom or to give me a place to sit in the kitchen. I took it to the Gilroy Garlic Festival last weekend, and it was a lifesaver when I had to wait in long lines.

I have a wheelchair, but I mainly use it for long trips. My hubby has wheeled me around NYC, San Francisco, Honolulu and Tokyo. It was great when we went to Greece. I was lifted to the top of the Acropolis on a wheelchair lift!

I don't look at my mobility aids as anything to be ashamed of at all. Instead, they are the things that give me the freedom to keep doing the things that I love to do.
    I'll soon have a service dog. He will be yet another mobility aid that will help to keep me active - but he will be a furry one that will return my love!
    Hugs,
    Marla

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

JuliaL (08-07-2011), steve.b (08-05-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

okay!
    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to everyone, I was busy with my mother visiting.
    So I did buy a cane yesterday... we went to walgreens, and I got an adjustable black aluminum cane. It's got one of those handles that look like the top of the pi symbol, or the tilde key ~
    I tried to walk with it that night - even bringing it with me to the rose gardens, but.. once I saw there were people there, I was mortified. I swear, I felt like a kid on their first day going to middleschool, not knowing anybody and feeling self conscious.
    Canes are actually kind of hard to figure out how to walk on... and they're LOUD when you don't know what you're doing!
    But I did walk with it this morning, and man did I get a lot of looks.
    I suppose I must look pretty weird, being a teenager with a cane. My mother told me that when people give me weird looks, I should just walk up to them, say "Lupus." And walk away, but i'm not that bold.
    At lupyme - A sword inside??? That is AWESOME!!!!!!

If I start having to use a cane more frequently, I think I might spring for the House cane - and get a black one with flames painted up the side. If only axe canes really existed! Although, it would be kind of hard to get through security...TEEHEE.

Thank you all for all of your answers... you helped me to decide to push myself to get one, even if I am pretty embarrassed at the moment. (After walking this morning with it, I'm feeling better though)

Next step... going back to my doc, talking about getting a handicap placard, and getting referred to a good rheumy. I don't think I can push it off much longer because of finances - it kind of needs to be done.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    okay!
    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to everyone, I was busy with my mother visiting.
    So I did buy a cane yesterday... we went to walgreens, and I got an adjustable black aluminum cane. It's got one of those handles that look like the top of the pi symbol, or the tilde key ~
    I tried to walk with it that night - even bringing it with me to the rose gardens, but.. once I saw there were people there, I was mortified. I swear, I felt like a kid on their first day going to middleschool, not knowing anybody and feeling self conscious.
    Canes are actually kind of hard to figure out how to walk on... and they're LOUD when you don't know what you're doing!
    But I did walk with it this morning, and man did I get a lot of looks.
    I suppose I must look pretty weird, being a teenager with a cane. My mother told me that when people give me weird looks, I should just walk up to them, say "Lupus." And walk away, but i'm not that bold.
    At lupyme - A sword inside??? That is AWESOME!!!!!!

If I start having to use a cane more frequently, I think I might spring for the House cane - and get a black one with flames painted up the side. If only axe canes really existed! Although, it would be kind of hard to get through security...TEEHEE.

Thank you all for all of your answers... you helped me to decide to push myself to get one, even if I am pretty embarrassed at the moment. (After walking this morning with it, I'm feeling better though)

Next step... going back to my doc, talking about getting a handicap placard, and getting referred to a good rheumy. I don't think I can push it off much longer because of finances - it kind of needs to be done.
    Ahh Grasshopper. There is still so much to learn. I shall teach you...

Knife Cane 1

Knife Cane 2

Knife Cane 3
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~