Thread: The waiting game...

Thanks

Default The waiting game...

How long do blood test results take? I know I'm being ridiculously impatient, but my mind can't function until I know something. I saw my new PCP on Monday, went into the lab to get my blood drawn on Tuesday, and now...I wait. On one hand, I want everything to come up as normal as possible, but I know something is wrong and I won't be satisfied if the tests show absolutely nothing. I'm being tested for lupus, RA, vitamin deficiencies, and a thyroid condition so I don't know what to expect. I was told my doctor would have the results by Friday, is that normal? Only 3 days?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    How long do blood test results take? I know I'm being ridiculously impatient, but my mind can't function until I know something. I saw my new PCP on Monday, went into the lab to get my blood drawn on Tuesday, and now...I wait. On one hand, I want everything to come up as normal as possible, but I know something is wrong and I won't be satisfied if the tests show absolutely nothing. I'm being tested for lupus, RA, vitamin deficiencies, and a thyroid condition so I don't know what to expect. I was told my doctor would have the results by Friday, is that normal? Only 3 days?
    I think 3 days was right. Some of the tests take longer but my ones ANA's came back rather quick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

magnolia (08-04-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I personally had to wait like 2 weeks to get the results of mine - but that's because I 1) had to wait for my doc appointment to hear it in person, and 2) found out in a letter.

Anyways, it will take a wee bit, but 3 days really isn't that bad at all - even though I know it must seem like heck for now.
    We all know that line we walk before diagnosis, where we want everything to be okay, but we want something to show up so we know we're actually sick and not crazy, like some people seem to think we are.
    I just hope your results show something relatively easy to deal with.
    Best of luck!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

magnolia (08-04-2011), tgal (08-04-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Magnolia,

Three days is pretty quick. I generally get my results in about a week. I already know the results are going to say I'm totally frakked up, so I don't worry about it anymore.

Once you get the results and maybe figure out some answers as to what's going on, things will get easier. Try not to worry.

Rob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

magnolia (08-04-2011)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Before I got my hopes up and started thinking I'd get the results by Friday, I wanted to see if that was normal, I was expecting to wait much longer.

Thanks

Update: I got my results back today. My vitamin D level is at 19, which my doctor told me was low. She wants me on 5,000 IU of vitamin D as soon as possible. My ANA test came back positive so she is referring me to a rheumatologist in the area for diagnosis. Right now, I'm relieved. I already know that a lupus diagnosis is very possible, especially with my symptoms, so I'm surprisingly not freaking out, as I am very prone to do. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Congratulations on your positive ANA and rheumy referral. No one WANTS to have an autoimmune disease, but it you've got one it's much better to be diagnosed and treated. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your next appointment, and that you get a good rheumy.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 08-09-2011 at 03:35 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

magnolia (08-12-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i am glad your problems are being sorted.
    it is never good to be ill.
    it is worse to be untreated.

hope all progresses easy for you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

magnolia (08-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Update: I got my results back today. My vitamin D level is at 19, which my doctor told me was low. She wants me on 5,000 IU of vitamin D as soon as possible. My ANA test came back positive so she is referring me to a rheumatologist in the area for diagnosis. Right now, I'm relieved. I already know that a lupus diagnosis is very possible, especially with my symptoms, so I'm surprisingly not freaking out, as I am very prone to do. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.
    Hi Magnolia, I am on 50,000 iu of vit D every 7 days now. Oh you will feel better on that and it will help with calcium absorption. The ANA results should help get things moving right along. Hopefully you will get the "good stuff" (grin) soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

magnolia (08-12-2011)