Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi all! So happy to find you!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiessave View Post
    Here's a middle of the night Welcome from me too. = ) I'm with you and Tammy on the heat issue. It's killing me. I'm all overly dramatic about it to the point of annoying my family and friends. I can't step outside without uttering "OMG, it's hot!" I gotta cut that out though, because this morning my 4yo goddaughter stepped out with me and said it before I could. Oops.

Everyone's awesome here, and I'm so glad you found us!

Sharpie

LOL@ goddaughter! That is too funny!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Yay for Julia! Someone who has been down here in this nightmare! My family calls me the vampire but now I have a hard time going out when the sun goes down as well because it is still 95 degrees at 8PM. It has been crazy! Today I think it is supposed to be 104. I have decided that anything over 100 is simply hell so why worry with an extra degree to 4. LOL

Anyway, welcome to WHL. I am so glad that you found us. There are great people here and I know you will (and have been) made welcome. There are some wonderful threads to read through for information or simply start a thread of your own if there is something you want to talk about. I see that you have have been fighting with this for awhile so feel free to jump in with information or experience that you have.

Anyway, welcome to the WHL family! Make yourself at home and remember that we all understand how you feel

Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thanks, Elo! I just can't wait for autumn. Enough is enough!

Rob, whereabouts are you in Maine? I used to live in NH and we vacationed in Maine quite a bit. Ironically, when the autoimmune odyssey started for me 18 years ago, my neurologist there was pretty certain I had MS because it started with a lot of neurological stuff. But they never found MS plaques, said they would probably show up later, and a consulting doctor at Mass. General in Boston highly recommended that I move to a warm climate. He thought that the cold weather was making my blood vessels swell and my migraines worse. So, I found a job in Texas and we moved.

Apparently, MS does better in a warm climate? But that was the puzzle. I had worse and different symptoms on hot days but they never looked outside neurology for an explanation. So, the stuff caused by the cold did improve and I was able to function somewhat better but, later on, more symptoms developed and I got much worse. That's when RA or Lupus was suspected and I went off to rheumatology. LOL, my New England docs didn't know it at the time, of course, but they were sending me to one of the worst possible places to have Lupus!

Still, New England winters are LONG! Our Texas summers are always hot but the rest of the year is really quite good. Everything is a tradeoff. This year is absolutely brutal, though, and I don't think I could handle it if this became the norm.

Glad to meet y'all!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Yay for Julia! Someone who has been down here in this nightmare! My family calls me the vampire but now I have a hard time going out when the sun goes down as well because it is still 95 degrees at 8PM. It has been crazy! Today I think it is supposed to be 104. I have decided that anything over 100 is simply hell so why worry with an extra degree to 4. LOL

Anyway, welcome to WHL. I am so glad that you found us. There are great people here and I know you will (and have been) made welcome. There are some wonderful threads to read through for information or simply start a thread of your own if there is something you want to talk about. I see that you have have been fighting with this for awhile so feel free to jump in with information or experience that you have.

Anyway, welcome to the WHL family! Make yourself at home and remember that we all understand how you feel
    Hi Tgal!
    Wow, you're in Houston so you have heat AND humidity! I used to live in the RGV and taught English Lit. there. It was pretty much "hot and hotter" almost year-round! After my son graduated from high school and moved to Lubbock to attend Texas Tech, I moved to Abilene where we rarely get a lot of humidity and it's much cheaper to live, besides. That helps.

We hit 106 yesterday and it will probably be about the same today. Haha, one of the TV weather guys described this as walking around in a blow dryer set on hot. That's exactly what it feels like. I absolutely had to do some grocery shopping and took my attendant along to help. Good thing -- I was an exhausted, whimpering mess by the time we finished. My joints are killing me today and I have no energy. It's depressing to know there's no relief in sight. We haven't had a good rain since Easter!

Haha, I don't think folks elsewhere understood how terrible it is here until they saw what happened to Tropical Storm Don! As soon as it hit Texas, it completely disappeared/evaporated! Craziness!

Anyhoo, I'm so glad to be here and to chat with folks who understand!

Cheers,
    Julia

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaL View Post

Rob, whereabouts are you in Maine? I used to live in NH and we vacationed in Maine quite a bit. Ironically, when the autoimmune odyssey started for me 18 years ago, my neurologist there was pretty certain I had MS because it started with a lot of neurological stuff. But they never found MS plaques, said they would probably show up later, and a consulting doctor at Mass. General in Boston highly recommended that I move to a warm climate. He thought that the cold weather was making my blood vessels swell and my migraines worse. So, I found a job in Texas and we moved.

Apparently, MS does better in a warm climate? But that was the puzzle. I had worse and different symptoms on hot days but they never looked outside neurology for an explanation. So, the stuff caused by the cold did improve and I was able to function somewhat better but, later on, more symptoms developed and I got much worse. That's when RA or Lupus was suspected and I went off to rheumatology. LOL, my New England docs didn't know it at the time, of course, but they were sending me to one of the worst possible places to have Lupus!

Still, New England winters are LONG! Our Texas summers are always hot but the rest of the year is really quite good. Everything is a tradeoff. This year is absolutely brutal, though, and I don't think I could handle it if this became the norm.

Glad to meet y'all!
    Hi,

I live on a small peninsula in an unincorporated area, basically in the middle of nowhere. The closest town to me is Searsport. My parents live in Bangor, which isn't too far away. The winter on the coast is quite mild compared to inland and especially up north. We have beautiful weather from April through October. One of the best kepts secrets in northern New England!

In regards to MS, most people's MS symptoms worsen in hot climates. My Lupus symptoms were made worse by the heat as well. When I was diagnosed with SLE, I lived in Arizona. The heat was one of the main reasons for my move back to Maine where I grew up. I used to handle the heat just fine, but about a year before my "official" SLE diagnosis, I suddenly found that my internal temperature was no longer regulating itself like it should, and I would overheat and not cool down for hours, even sitting in front of an A/C unit on full blast. The flip side, is that I handle the cold surprisingly well. I'm always running warm it seems, so I like the cold.

Would probably feel differently if I had Raynauds, but fortunately, that's not part of my autoimmune "soup".

Stay cool!

Rob

Thanks

We are so glad to have you. This is wonderful site. I look forward to talking to you often.

Melanie

Thanks

hi julie welcome whl iam from sydney australia and it is cold here at the moment look forward to getting to know you

Thanks

Julie, you are welcome to Alaska too. Last 2 days around 80, but, usually around 70. And in the winter time it is dark allot, so you don't have to worry about the sun.

I am new to the board too. It seems like a great place to be.

Thanks

Thank you! Wow, so many lovely people from all over the place! Brilliant! Glad to meet everyone!

Thanks

Hi Julia,
    I lived in San Antonio for seventeen years, and I used to teach Latin there. I truly hated the heat.
    We now live on the coast of California, on the Monterey Bay. It's definitely paradise! The high is usually about 65 year round, and if it goes over 70, people around here complain. The low is rarely below 50. The ocean breeze is wonderful. If we want a bit of heat, all we have to do is drive about 30 miles inland. Also, it isn't far to "visit" snow in the mountains in the winter.
    We are supposed to return to Texas in a year, but my hubby is hoping to get hired as a professor out here so that we can stay. I've found that I feel much better in the consistent cooler temps and lower humidity.
    Welcome to WHL.
    Hugs,
    Marla