Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think I've Learned My Lesson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Geo, belated welcome! There are some good threads about sun exposure throughout the site, but I'll go ahead and throw out some things I have found that help me be less of a vampire:
    - Get UV coating applied to your car windows. It seems like newer cars have more UV protection than older cars. It costs several hundred dollars to have a pro do it, but you might be able to write it off as a medical expense with a note from your doctor. Be careful they don't make the windows darker than the law allows.
    - Use Sunguard, by Rit. It's a powder that you can order online. It goes in your wash cycle and makes your clothes SPF 30 for about 20 washes. One load runs about $3.50, so I pull out my clothes every once in a while and run them separate from the rest of the family.
    - Sun protective clothes can be a good investment for the times you really want to be outside. There are multiple companies now that sell online, and some sports, outdoors and golf pro shops carry them also. For driving, I highly recommend getting a pair of sun gloves - my hands itch and burn like crazy if I don't cover them on long drives.
    - Solumbra makes an awesome umbrella. You can feel the difference in how much heat passes through a regular umbrella vs a Solumbra one. Mine is 10 years old and I love it for when I don't want to wear a dorky hat LOL
    - I find that if I take a nap as soon as I get indoors, I have less effect from sun exposure. Maybe that's just me, but it really helps.
    Thanks so much, Gizmo! I had heard about the powder, but have not checked it out yet. I will look into that. I just bought 2 coverups from Coolibar that I think will help a lot.

I appreciate all the advice!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoKasher For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-07-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That's super cool! Unfortunately, my phone is a super simple one, with the ability to...well, text, and call people. LOL. So no gps for me! Maybe i'll work towards getting one one day - especially if i ever start driving more or get my own car instead of sharing with my boyfriend.

The fatigue/tiredness thing can really throw you for a loop when you don't know what it's connected to. "Why am I tired? I just got 9 hours of sleep!" "well, you're walking in the sun, silly!"
    hehe. I hope you continue to cache and find some super cool stuff - it sounds really fun!

Thanks

I'm with you on the cell phone! We only use tracfones because we have very spotty service where we live.

Yes, the fatigue thing will drive you crazy. I know now why I had such a hard time staying awake at our old church: flourescent lights! I could NOT keep my eyes open for YEARS!!!! It was terrible.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    That's super cool! Unfortunately, my phone is a super simple one, with the ability to...well, text, and call people. LOL. So no gps for me! Maybe i'll work towards getting one one day - especially if i ever start driving more or get my own car instead of sharing with my boyfriend.

The fatigue/tiredness thing can really throw you for a loop when you don't know what it's connected to. "Why am I tired? I just got 9 hours of sleep!" "well, you're walking in the sun, silly!"
    hehe. I hope you continue to cache and find some super cool stuff - it sounds really fun!
    I just couldn't make it without a smartphone! Seriously. I gave up almost everything else when I lost my job.. cable, car, home phone line but the smart phone isn't going anywhere. Now that I have switched to an IPhone it is even worse. Take my phone and you are risking your life LOL (What would I do without "Words with friends"
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~