Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I've Learned My Lesson

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Think I've Learned My Lesson

Ugh!!! I taught a Summer Reading group about geocaching today and took them out to find a cache. It was cloudy. I didn't put my sunscreen on or wear a hat (I hate hats!) and lo and behold I now feel like I'm getting the flu. Guess I have learned that I need to cover up from the sun any time I go out. We were only out for about 15 minutes, but I'm sure the exposure on the hour ride there and back didn't help either.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

welcome to the club! most of us at one time or another have lapsed. We live, we learn, we hopefully don't make the same mistake twice.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

ouch .... sorry

we all do it once!

Thanks

Yep, we all learn. Some take longer than others. ME! I still cut corners & wish I didn't.

Thanks

Good to know I'm not the only one!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GeoKasher View Post
    I had to learn the hard way as well. I have to cover up outside and inside where there is florescent lighting, I too have thought "Oh I will only be outside for 15 minutes. What can it hurt". They answer... Everything
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi, GeoKasher

I am newly diagnosed and still learning about the sun - you are not the only one.. Just today I was outside for a couple of hours but mostly in the shade. I apparently didn't cover my legs as well as I thought with sunscreen and came home with a rash and fatigue, It's not even 9:00 on a Saturday night and I think I'll be turning in soon... I should have worn a hat and more sunscreen. I am still learning. It is still hard to grasp that even 15 minutes in the sun could cause so much problems but it certainly can.

Hope you feel better soon!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lrs76 For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-06-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

my brain is made of marshmallow fluff.

I never connected your name "GeoKasher", with Geo caching. Durrrrrrr. But anyway - the fact that you do that is really cool! I just heard about that recently, and kind of want to try it. Weird question though... how do you know what points to go to - i mean, where a cache is? is there a site with a list?

Dang, I need a gps...

OH! Sorry, that had nothing to do with your post. Yeah, the sun sucks when it makes us sick If only it didn't..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    my brain is made of marshmallow fluff.

I never connected your name "GeoKasher", with Geo caching. Durrrrrrr. But anyway - the fact that you do that is really cool! I just heard about that recently, and kind of want to try it. Weird question though... how do you know what points to go to - i mean, where a cache is? is there a site with a list?

Dang, I need a gps...

OH! Sorry, that had nothing to do with your post. Yeah, the sun sucks when it makes us sick If only it didn't..
    Hi Elo!

My husband and I started geocaching last year. We have a little over 200 finds so far. You can go to www.geocaching.com and set up a free account. You can pull up a map there that will show you where all the geocaches are and download the ones you want to try to find to your hand-held GPS or even a lot of cell phones now. I bought a used GPS for $100 but see that now you can get the same one for less than that brand new. There are over 1.5 million geocaches in the world!

We really enjoy it. Our kids (all 5 of them!) are growing up and we're almost empty-nesters now so we wanted something that we could do together. This is a great sport because it gets us out and keeps us active and we see places we never would have seen if not for geocaching. Our only problem now is my covering up from the sun. I now know why when we are out geocaching, I sleep most of the time we're driving! Could never figure that out before. I kept thinking I just needed to get more sleep at night. LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoKasher For This Useful Post:

Elo (08-07-2011)

Thanks

I now know why when we are out geocaching, I sleep most of the time we're driving! Could never figure that out before. I kept thinking I just needed to get more sleep at night. LOL
    Geo, belated welcome! There are some good threads about sun exposure throughout the site, but I'll go ahead and throw out some things I have found that help me be less of a vampire:
    - Get UV coating applied to your car windows. It seems like newer cars have more UV protection than older cars. It costs several hundred dollars to have a pro do it, but you might be able to write it off as a medical expense with a note from your doctor. Be careful they don't make the windows darker than the law allows.
    - Use Sunguard, by Rit. It's a powder that you can order online. It goes in your wash cycle and makes your clothes SPF 30 for about 20 washes. One load runs about $3.50, so I pull out my clothes every once in a while and run them separate from the rest of the family.
    - Sun protective clothes can be a good investment for the times you really want to be outside. There are multiple companies now that sell online, and some sports, outdoors and golf pro shops carry them also. For driving, I highly recommend getting a pair of sun gloves - my hands itch and burn like crazy if I don't cover them on long drives.
    - Solumbra makes an awesome umbrella. You can feel the difference in how much heat passes through a regular umbrella vs a Solumbra one. Mine is 10 years old and I love it for when I don't want to wear a dorky hat LOL
    - I find that if I take a nap as soon as I get indoors, I have less effect from sun exposure. Maybe that's just me, but it really helps.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-07-2011), steve.b (08-07-2011)