Thread: Pain and how to live with it?

Thanks

Default Pain and how to live with it?

I have been wondering what other people are doing to exist with the pain ? I have been in such pain for two days.. my joints are hurting so badly and nothing I have taken seems to help me. My fever is coming back and my hair hurts badly today. I just came out of a flare about 1 week ago or so and felt so good and now it feels as if its starting all over again. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you
    Billie

Thanks

Meds are what help me the most. I take tramadol regularly and when that is not enough I do have some low dose hydrocodne to take for days when the pain is unbearable. It doesn't totally get rid of the pain, but it usually makes it at least bearable. I also recently started taking neurontin and that has really helped with the pain. Warm baths and heating pads also provide some relief and comfort. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Take care and welcoe to the forum.

Thanks

I've also learned that heat helps me. I have a shawl at the office, afgans on my chair at home.....always bundled!

Other things I've found that can help - in no particular order:
    ~ soft music - classical and calm
    ~ theraputic massage - from a massage therapist who knows a person with lupus should NOT get a deep tissue massage, but have a more gentle touch
    ~ increasing ginger and turmeric in my diet, and ground flax seed as well. Each morning I take 2 tablespoons of ground flax, a teaspoon each of ginger and turmeric. Add water and you have a taste treat that takes a bit of time to get used to.
    ~ increase the amount of fish oil in your diet
    ~ decrease saturated fats (red meat, cheese)
    ~ a cup of wonderful green tea

And what helps most? Supportive friends.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Heat and...believe it or not.....regular exercise are what helps me the most with my pain. I find that when I do not do any kind of exercise, my pain is unbearable. But, when I do moderate exercise regularly, the pain is easier to deal with (along with the medication of course)

:lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default MMJ

I am new here, and this may not be a popular or appropriate suggestion, but I use Medical Marijuana to help with my pain and inflamation (and I feel it serves to relax me and acts as a minor anti-depressant). I live in a legal state, and use with the recommendation of a Dr. Unfortunately I cannot afford a good vaporizer, so I still have to smoke it, but look forward to purchasing a good vaporizer to eliminate some of the health risks associated with smoking. I am not one of those who think marijuana is a panacea, but I do think it has amazing medicinal benefits with minor risks or side-effects.
    I also recommend exercise, plenty of rest, and lots of smiling.
    Good luck
    Brent

Thanks

I have heard about certain states where medical marijuana is legal.. I'm just curious which states are legal. I had never heard of medical marijuan for lupus, but since it can be used for pain for cancer patients, it would make sense that it would help with pain in general.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Hippimom:
    As far as I know, ten states currently legalize or decriminalize the medical use of marijuana in some manner.

Since 1996, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington have passed legislation that removes state-level penalties from marijuana use by patients who have a doctor's recommendation. In addition, Maryland passed a medical marijuana affirmative defense law in 2003. This dictates that if a person is arrested for marijuana use but is found to be using marijuana out of medical necessity, she or he will only face a modest fine.

Saysusie

Thanks

I feel that I am already on so many chemical drugs that I try to deal with pain as naturally as possible. My pain is worse when I slip up on my diet. I try to eat organic and stay away from meat, dairy and wheat which cause inflammation for me.

Heat works best for me when I am in a lot of pain. I have tried taking a variety of pain meds in the past and none really worked well for me. I take hot baths, as hot as I can stand it and afterward I feel much better. I also keep a hot water bottle handy at all times. To be honest, for me, the heat and sometimes 600mg of motrin (when it's really bad) make the pain much more bearable. My doctor told me I have a higher pain tolerance than most so maybe that's why this is all I really need to do. Hope it's helpful.

-Kelli

Thanks

Another thing I've learned - my mother was in the hospital a while back. The Nurse told her that she should ask for a pain med when her pain was at a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 -- get AHEAD of the pain. THat way a smaller dose of meds could knock it back.

I'm more liberal with the over the counter meds since then, and haven't had to resort to stronger.

Nurses know their stuff....

Thanks

Default pain management

I soak in Epson salts. The hot water and Epson salts is soothing and really helps with the pain. :P