Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handicap parking placard

Thanks

Default Handicap parking placard

What has been anyone's experience getting a handicap parking placard. On my good days I'm ok walking a bit but some days especially if it's hot and i'm having a flare up I just don't even go to the store to get necessities because I can't walk that far if there are no close spots. PA Dept of Transportation offers handicap placards to put in the vehicle you are in so even if someone else is driving and you are a passenger you can use it when necessary. Has anyone done this? Have you had luck or hassle?

Thanks

Im actually asking my doctor next Monday if I can get one of those. I cant imagine trying to get a close spot on campus when school starts. I cant walk crazy distances because of my legs so Im caving and getting one. My mom has been telling me to get one since I started driving but Im stubborn.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've had one for years now. I don't know how it works where you are from, but in Montana (I'm sure it is standard everywhere), you can pick up at the DMV or download the form from their website. Fill it out, have the Doc sign it and mail it in. In Montana it is free and good for 3 years. I opted for the placard over the license plates so if I travel, I can take the placard with me and use in other vehicles. It is assigned to the person, not a particular vehicle. Have I had any hassles? Of course I have. I call them the "placard police". I also have a big mouth and bigger attitude so am often heard to comment on and to the Placard Police. Such witticisms as "damn I make being sick look awesome!" and "I love how the blue in the card complements my lupus rash", or if I'm feeling particularly nasty: "don't YOU wish your illness made you look this blasted good?!" Shuts them down every time! Darling daughter has gotten used to it. I personally could NOT care less what people think. Like I'm going to give up my ability for a decent parking spot just because "someone" might not approve? As my daughter USED to say "bite me". BTW she doesn't anymore because one time when we were going somewhere, I was driving, she in the passenger seat, said "bite me" to me. So I grabbed her arm and bit her. Well she TOLD me to... ( it wasn't hard, just enough to get the point across and she was 17 at the time)
    Seriously, the card is worth it. It is hard enough just making it through the actual store some days without having to walk a mile through a parking lot. We are stuck being sick, we can't change that. However, we can take advantage to what is available to us. Get the handicap card. Get the All Access free national parks card. Whatever is available to us that will make our lives a little bit easier, why not??? "Pride goeth before the fall" and I always add: "and I hate falling on my face". Get the card, take advantage of easier and closer parking and arm yourself with a list of witty quips for the placard police.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

nicolehinkel (08-02-2011), steve.b (08-02-2011)

Thanks

Thank you so much. I am trying to learn so much and what benefits are available to help. I know about the FMLA but you have to be employed 12 months and I have only been here since November. I just need a break. I need like 2 weeks off but can't afford no pay. Between the flare up/stress/more flare up I am at wits end.

Thanks

I have a parking plate also, I have avascular necrosis on both knees so its difficult for me to walk. Like you I don't give a
    $%!# what people think, I don't look sick enough for them who cares???? Anyway Ruzisca you mentioned something about "admitions to parks" what's that about?

Thanks

I used to have one. I'm not sure if it's the same where you are, but here the crux of getting one was needing an aid with more than one point on the ground, so walker or chair. Now they also have a sort of semi-disabled one that extends the time of normal spots. The great added bonus with the full one is you get free access to the pits at Sandown (V8s) :>

Thanks

The best thing that my PCP in Texas ever did for me was to give me the paperwork for my disabled plates. She marked the spot for "permanently disabled", so I was given the disabled plates and a placard for any other car that I might ride in.

It took my husband a while to get used to the idea of looking for the handicapped symbol when parking, but now he goes right for them if I'm in the car. It has helped me so much! Since we are in Ca on a military assignment, we still have the Texas disabled plates on our car. By not having to walk so far in the parking lot, I have more energy when we get to where we're going. It's also great that I can ignore the 1 or 2 hour time limits on parking spots, and I don't have to feed the parking meters here in Ca.

I often get "looks" as I'm parking, since I look rather young for those spots, but as soon as I wobble out of my car with my cane, it's obvious to anyone that I have the right to park there. Most people think that I have MS.

Here's another use that the paperwork has had for me. I scanned it and sent it along with my order for my service dog's ID and halter. It was totally accepted as proof that I qualify for a service dog. I intend to carry it with me when I'm flying with Conner (my dog) this fall, just in case the airline gives me any hassles.

Get one if you can - it's worth it!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My PCP had the paperwork in her office. I just asked they filled it out and she signed. I then went to the DMV expecting a hard time. Oh just a minute let me turn on the machine. 10 minutes later walked out with my placard.
    Something actually went right in my Life. I think they work in other states also.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

http://www.ct.gov/agingservices/lib/...sportfinal.pdf

Check out the pdf regarding free passes to National Parks for those who are permanently disabled. Its a free lifetime pass good for all national parks in the US and discounts to many federal areas. All I needed was a signed letter from my doctor (which I typed up for her) stating my name and that I have a permanent disability. Totally FREE.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Thanks, this is GREAT information, here's the link to the application.

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access_pass_application.pdf