Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks

Default Hello from Cleveland, Ohio

Hello everyone, my name is Diane I will be 44 tomorrow and I was diagnosed with Lupus 20 years ago. I am a stay at home mother of three and found your forum when I was trying to figure out why two small mosquito bites became extremely swollen and hot to the touch. I was curious if my Lupus could irritate a mosquito bite and it would appear that a few thought they were related. If the swelling doesn't go down by Monday I think I may call my dr.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and share experiences.

Best
    Diane

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

hi diane,
    welcome to our cyber family.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Diane! Welcome to WHL! It is funny that you are asking about mosquito bites because someone else was asking about them earlier in the week. I am not going to move your post there because I know everyone wants to welcome you but you might want to look through that one.

The answer is that many of us seem to be having issues with them. I don't know if it is because of a flare (I am in one) or if it is because the bites bring on one but anything that causes our bodies to go on attack (like with the histamine) can cause a greater reaction then it would be a healthy person.

Others will be along to say hello and welcome you to our family. Here is to a happy and pain free day
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dianen3 View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is Diane I will be 44 tomorrow and I was diagnosed with Lupus 20 years ago. I am a stay at home mother of three and found your forum when I was trying to figure out why two small mosquito bites became extremely swollen and hot to the touch. I was curious if my Lupus could irritate a mosquito bite and it would appear that a few thought they were related. If the swelling doesn't go down by Monday I think I may call my dr.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and share experiences.

Best
    Diane

Hi Diane, welcome to our family! My doctor saw that my entire leg was swollen from three mosquito bites and I had to go on antibiotics and Benadryl. She was going to bump steroids if that didn't work, but it did. I asked , why does this happen and she said my immune system is working over time fighting me and so it doesn't have what it takes to fight the bad stuff. I figured I'm just one big inflammatory response! I had a splinter in my finger that caused a lymph node to swell the size lof a plum. How crazy is that?

Thanks

Hi Diane, Welcome, I too live in cleveland, and because of all the rain we have had here this summer the mosquitos are bad, I don't live to far from the lake, and we have alot, not to sure about your bites though, but you did find a great site with alot of good people, and someone here might be able to help you. take care -Gary

Thanks

Bye the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello Diane,

Welcome to WHL, and happy birthday! I too have noticed that mosquito bites post lupus diagnosis are way worse than they were before lupus. I got the SLE diagnosis in 2004. For me, the welts are the size of a quarter or bigger, and the welt is hot and burns/itches really badly. This is something that has been on my list of things to research, but there's so many things, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 07-31-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hello Diane,

Welcome to WHL, and happy birthday! I too have noticed that mosquito bites post lupus diagnosis are way worse than they were before lupus. I got the SLE diagnosis in 2004. For me, the welts are the size of a quarter or bigger, and the welt is hot and burns/itches really badly. This is something that has been on my list of things to research, but there's so many things, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rob
    Rob my bites get the size of grapefruit! The are hard and hot to the touch. They impair circulation. Weird isn't it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Happy Birthday and Welcome!!! Hehe
    Good to have you here(: It's a great place to get questions answered by real people who have experience with the disease. Glad you found us!

Thanks

hello and welcome i am a newbie here to and i love this site already they really make you feel welcomed here and its nice to get info from real people who have been there and are still dealing with lupus my name is Tammy welcome aboard