Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen Joints

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Swollen Joints

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for quite some time. Some of you may remember me from a little while back. At my last doctors visit my urine test showed that there was more blood present than usual. I don't know the result exactly however I rarely go much beyond trace amounts. On my most recent visit there was more, however not nearly enough to raise any big concerns.

It has been around 2 weeks since the appointment and I feel fine just as i normally, however I have noticed my joints have been holding more fluid than usual and have been sore more frequently. I figured this was due to the increased level of blood in my urine indicating slightly impaired kidney function. Still I feel this problem is quite small. My doctor was not concerned and I am neither.

What bought me here once again however is the actual swelling of the joints and the retained fluid. I did some research and couldn't figure out the body's purpose for this, or even if there is a purpose at all. Is it a defense mechanism? Is the body trying to protect the joint by giving it more fluid to cushion it perhaps? I have recently
    visited my grandad in hospital and his wrists have swollen to nearly triple the size. This is what got me wondering about this. I had never really considered it before now.

I hope someone has the answer as i am very curious and would like to understand it. I hope every here is doing well. I know thats not always possible with lupus but I really do hope everyone is happy.

Xx
    Hazel

P.s I will try and post a little more regularly. Life gets too busy sometimes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

sorry i cant help.......
    but hi again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks anyway! Curiosity has gotten the better of me! I won't be able to sleep until I have sorted this out :P

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i know small swelling is to protect. but large 3x swelling is more than that. ???

Thanks

I don't know how accurate this is but this is what I found with a google search.

Acute inflammation is an organism's response a harmful stimulus, which could be a physical injury, an allergic reaction, or another cause.

The inflammation itself is due to increased blood flow to the area, which brings with it plasma proteins (like fibrinogen, which helps clot a wound) and leukocytes (white blood cells, which attempt to remove the stimulus).

Anti-inflammatory drugs are useful particularly in working against disorders caused by chronic inflammation, where the acute inflammation response gets caught up in a cycle with tissue death and repair.

I wish you would come around more lol you were one of the first people I talked to when I joined! As far as your joints I wouldn't completely ignore them. Our bodies dont do anything without a reason. I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt get worse.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

steve.b (07-22-2011)

Thanks

Hi Hazel,

The blood in your urine is to do with your kidneys, i had this years back and never saw a Doctor instead my mom boiled Barley in a saucepan and drained the juice into bottles and i drank 5 bottles of it and it cleared it up as pure Barley water flushes your kidneys out...i do suggest boiling Barley and not buying a Barley drink to dilute.

I'll add some info below regarding why fluid builds up around the joints and it's called EDEMA.

Terry xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 07-23-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks

Edema (Fluid build up around the joints)

What are swelling problems?

Swelling is usually a sign of excess fluid buildup or inflammation in the body. Swelling can make you look bloated or distended, and your skin may appear shiny and stretched out. Swelling may be widespread or localized to a particular area of the body, such as the lymph nodes, hands, ankles, tongue or face.

Swelling, or edema, can occur anywhere within the body, including the internal organs, but it is most noticeable on the face, neck, hands, legs, ankles and feet. Edema is classified according to the body part that is affected, such as pulmonary edema (of the lungs), facial edema, and lymphedema (of the lymph nodes).

Swelling can be caused by a wide variety of underlying diseases, disorders and conditions, including infections, inflammation, trauma, circulatory disorders, cardiac (heart) disorders, allergic reactions, malignancy (cancer), and other abnormal processes.

Depending on the cause, swelling symptoms may be temporary and resolve on their own, such as ankle swelling after standing or sitting for a long time. Chronic swelling, or swelling that builds up over time, can indicate a potentially serious disorder, such as congestive heart failure or cardiovascular disease. Swelling can be caused by serious infections, including sexually transmitted diseases, and by orthopedic conditions, such as a broken bone.

Because swelling can be a symptom of a life-threatening condition, such as an anaphylactic reaction or heart failure, you should seek immediate medical care (call 911) if you experience swelling symptoms with chest pain, dizziness, confusion, shortness of breath, or any difficulty breathing. Seek prompt medical care if you do not have these symptoms, but the swelling is persistent, recurrent, or causes you concern.

www.bettermedicine.com/article/swelling-symptoms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for quite some time. Some of you may remember me from a little while back. At my last doctors visit my urine test showed that there was more blood present than usual. I don't know the result exactly however I rarely go much beyond trace amounts. On my most recent visit there was more, however not nearly enough to raise any big concerns.

It has been around 2 weeks since the appointment and I feel fine just as i normally, however I have noticed my joints have been holding more fluid than usual and have been sore more frequently. I figured this was due to the increased level of blood in my urine indicating slightly impaired kidney function. Still I feel this problem is quite small. My doctor was not concerned and I am neither.

What bought me here once again however is the actual swelling of the joints and the retained fluid. I did some research and couldn't figure out the body's purpose for this, or even if there is a purpose at all. Is it a defense mechanism? Is the body trying to protect the joint by giving it more fluid to cushion it perhaps? I have recently
    visited my grandad in hospital and his wrists have swollen to nearly triple the size. This is what got me wondering about this. I had never really considered it before now.

I hope someone has the answer as i am very curious and would like to understand it. I hope every here is doing well. I know thats not always possible with lupus but I really do hope everyone is happy.

Xx
    Hazel

P.s I will try and post a little more regularly. Life gets too busy sometimes.

Hi Hazel, whenever there is blood & protein in my urine everything swells in me.

Thanks

Hello Hazel,

How you feeling since starting your thread as we've not heard off you since...i do hope your keeping ok.

Terry xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your all your help.
    I have increased my prednisone from 5mg to 10mg over the last few days and I feel great. Whenever I increse it slightly I notice a huge improvement for a few days and then I feel comfortable reducing my dose again.

Thankyou Terry for your boiled barely suggestion. I will definately be giving it a go. I am normal pretty uneasy about trying new medications and remidies, but this sounds like a wonderful solution to me!

Rizbit - I will make more of an effort I promise! I love this place!

I hope everyone is well.
    xx
    Hazel
    As for my original question, I think I will raise it with my docotr next time I go to visit. Im not particularly worried, curiosity got me really.