Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: brain fog understanding

Thanks

I find just keeping the home in order a pressure with brain fog...i go to do something and end up doing another and trying to communicate with my husband the words come out wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruziska View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a good article or explanation of brain fog? Hubby just does NOT get it at all. He refuses to give me a break and try to understand brain fog. We've been going rounds about it. He won't accept it and says I'm using it as an excuse to not listen to him.
    I guess hearing all the insensitive things the husbands are doing I have sarcasm coming out of my brain. If all these idea don't work how about this reply, " You're right I use it as an excuse because everthin that comes out of your mouth is STUPID!" IS THIS A BIT HARSH?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-24-2011), giggle (07-24-2011), ruziska (07-24-2011), steve.b (07-24-2011)

Thanks

It's embarrassing how many times I find myself saying.... you know, I used to be a Writer & Editor! Trying to explain that I wasn't as dumb as I appeared. Words were my gift, the ability to spin a sentence or choose a word that fit perfectly. I would use up a pen almost every month. In my family I was always considered the 'smart one' (if a little odd ; > ) sooo much 'potential'. I took the nation wide iq test (on the telly) and averaged in the top 15% in the country (obviously, out of those who participated)... and I was 'self medicated' while taking it. Now... It's like I provide the entertainment, its like a game of charades when I'm trying to explain something. It's like sometimes my family have stopped listening to what I'm saying and are listening to how I say it, and my point is constantly lost. Simple concepts and recounts are so hard to express at times. My memory is ridiculous at times, it scares me when I lose all recall about something, when my family shake their head and say, 'how could you possibly not remember that?!' They laugh and say that's cute, but it scares me because no matter how I rack my brain, I can't remember at all!! not even a little! how can that happen.... and what else have I forgotten???
    Recently, my brand new Rhuemy asked me if I had any symptoms other than pain and swelling, I just looked at her, I didn't know where to begin or how to say what I needed. I ended up just staring at her blankly while my head whirled. She sent a letter to my gp saying I had complained of no symptoms other than pain and swelling. Grrr, I've just set my disability claim back weeks, while I survive on whatever I can scrounge from an overworked, underfunded, resentful, healthy and fit husband.
    This post has taken me nearly an hour and countless rereads to write. : ( And people tell me I just need to adopt a more beneficial attitude, that I am happy to embrace the 'laid back' lifestyle my body gives me the excuse for. Bull$#@! I was smart, I could express things and move people with words, I was earning a name for myself in the publishing industry, I had a GIFT ffs! I never chose to give anything up, this isn't what I'd planned.
    I don't know what advice I can give that would be helpful, Perhaps just another example will help. I feel like all I do is complain when I'm trying to be helpful and its not very positive so I have not to post so much, but I wanted to try. (Also, to be honest, I think I also wanted to shout out.... Hey, I was smart once!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    Ok yesterday was my daughter's birthday and I totally forgot about it until an hour ago. This is not funny & it breaks my heart. I never miss birthdays!
    Last month I was so proud of myself for remembering that it was my Mums birthday (after forgetting my nephews and step-mothers), got her a little something and rang her to say happy birthday and we'd pop in that arvo to see her... only, she was really upset, it wasn't just any birthday, it was her 60th! Nothing was planned, I knew this a few months before because I had apparently had a conversation with hubbie about organising something special (like I had for my Dad a couple of yrs ago). But then I forgot, and I didn't remember, at all, for months. Even while picking up her pressie. I felt so horrible. I'm sorry you forgot, its not ur fault. Remember, children who are loved are genuinely forgiving.
    Last edited by sonmak; 07-24-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: grammer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonmak View Post
    Last month I was so proud of myself for remembering that it was my Mums birthday (after forgetting my nephews and step-mothers), got her a little something and rang her to say happy birthday and we'd pop in that arvo to see her... only, she was really upset, it wasn't just any birthday, it was her 60th! Nothing was planned, I knew this a few months before because I had apparently had a conversation with hubbie about organising something special (like I had for my Dad a couple of yrs ago). But then I forgot, and I didn't remember, at all, for months. Even while picking up her pressie. I felt so horrible. I'm sorry you forgot, its not ur fault. Remember, children who are loved are genuinely forgiving.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOUR WORDS BLESS ME. My daughter and I talked and she said, "I have a great idea! Let wait until my belly gets bigger and we can go out to eat and ship for maternity clothes!" She forgives me and looks forward to our outing. My kids do understand. THANK GOD.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

sonmak (07-24-2011)

Thanks

Yesterday we had Thanksgiving in July. It was an 'in your face' kind of thing to the dumb heat. I got a text from my brother wishing us a happy one, and instructing me to eat a big ole turkey leg for him. But when I read the text out loud to Mama, it came out "Eat a big ole turtle leg for me!"

I, too, am become a source of constant amusement for my family and friends. And oh, how they love it. They love it so much that I have to join in on the fun too. For us, it's become one of the fun things that has come out of The Mess. Like being ok with being fat, it was a challenge at first. I'd get my back up for a month or so whenever something completely ridiculous came out of my mouth. This was my ego showing, cuz like so many of you, I used to be a wizkid, and I got used to feeling verbally superior to those around me. A couple months ago, though, I said something ridiculous that of course I can't remember now. There was a long silence in the room, and then my 4yo goddaughter giggled so hard koolade shot out of her mouth. Everybody else, including me, joined in, and from there on out it's stopped being a frustration and has become fun. It's like the mayor of NYC telling SNL they are allowed to be funny again. So far, it's the only alright thing to come out of The Mess, so I'll take it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpiessave For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-24-2011), steve.b (07-24-2011)

Thanks

Sharpie,

Now i think that's brill how your family except how you are and although your ill, you can have a good laugh with them when your messing up with your brain but still get brightened up with a good old laugh mate.

I think it's lovely for you mate. ((Hugs Terry)) xxx

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiessave View Post
    I, too, am become a source of constant amusement for my family and friends. And oh, how they love it. They love it so much that I have to join in on the fun too. For us, it's become one of the fun things that has come out of The Mess.
    My family and I have fun with it too sometimes. My nephew, who knows about my brainfog, works at a local grocery store. I'm there grocery shopping one day, and he stops to say hello how ya' doin. We talk for a bit, then my thoughts go back to getting my groceries. At the end of the conversation, I ask in what aisle could I find something on my shopping list, but I can't remember the item, and the list is at home on the kitchen counter. I'm looking down, trying to think, and the conversation goes like this-

Me-Hey, in what ailse could I find, um, where can I find, um...

Nephew-Where can you find the glow in the dark condoms?

Me-NO, no, where I can find the...

Nephew-Tampons?

Me- Dammit No! Where can I find the, um...

Nephew-The latest issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine?

Me, DAMMIT NO!

I then see he's trying to keep a serious face, but not doing it very well. At this point, we both break out laughing our butts off. I laughed so hard that it hurt.

Sometimes the effects of our brainfog on others interactions with us can be funny as hell.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 07-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (07-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    My family and I have fun with it too sometimes. My nephew, who knows about my brainfog, works at a local grocery store. I'm there grocery shopping one day, and he stops to say hello how ya' doin. We talk for a bit, then my thoughts go back to getting my groceries. At the end of the conversation, I ask in what aisle could I find something on my shopping list, but I can't remember the item, and the list is at home on the kitchen counter. I'm looking down, trying to think, and the conversation goes like this-

Me-Hey, in what ailse could I find, um, where can I find, um...

Nephew-Where can you find the glow in the dark condoms?

Me-NO, no, where I can find the...

Nephew-Tampons?

Me- Dammit No! Where can I find the, um...

Nephew-The latest issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine?

Me, DAMMIT NO!

I then see he's trying to keep a serious face, but not doing it very well. At this point, we both break out laughing our butts off. I laughed so hard that it hurt.

Sometimes the effects of our brainfog on others interactions with us can be funny as hell.

Rob
    I see your nephew has your sense of humor. I am laughing hard here. Do they really make glow in the dark ones? That can't be healthy.

Thanks

Linda,

His name is Floyd Skloot. The essay I read is "A Measure of Acceptance" and is in a book of wonderful non-fiction essays called The Touchstone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction. I'm sure it is on one of his books of essays but I can't determine which one at this time. Some of his books on Amazon have Table of Contents listings, some do not.

However, there is a longer piece, a book dealing with the subject in more detail:
    http://www.floydskloot.com/

See "In the Shadow of Memory" under Books.