Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charley Horses Anyone?????

Thanks

Default Charley Horses Anyone?????

Does anyone get charley horses in the back of there legs and feet? I mean in the back of the legs, thighs, calves, shins, on souls of feet and toes? One day I even had my muscle in the back of one leg just freeze up. It was rock hard. The seem to be freezing up a lot lately. It will hurt and it is hard to walk. The back of my thighs and my calves freeze up the worst, but I get severe charely horses in my feet. Some days it is a struggle to even walk. I am not deficient in potassium or magnesium. I have Raynauds and Vilitigo reticularis and some connective tissue disorder that they haven't figured out yet??? Does any of this say anything to anyone to help me get diagnosed. I have so many issues but my blood tests never show anything except a pos ana of 1:80. Oh yeah and I was told 2x by a rheumi that I have fibromyalgia from a car accident last October, but my GP says that is just a catch all. When they can't figure it out they call it that so I tend to forget that.
    Last edited by Ronnie; 07-21-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes. I get them when my Vitamin D levels are too low.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

I get charley horses in thigh and calves-generally it happens in my sleep-I wake with a start and jump out of bed. It can be intensely painfull and take several minutes to walk it off. I have asked doctors down through the years and always got the standard- eat a banna, your potassium deficient answer.I'm sure that has happened a few times a year since I was 8 or 9.

Thanks

Yes, my calf muscles are constantly rock-hard, also called spastic. Other muscles in my legs spasm, too - very often it wakes me up in the night.
    All of my vitamin levels have been checked often, and they are all normal, or even high.
    Is one of your connective tissue diseases Sjogren's by any chance? Terry and I both have it, and we have compared notes a lot, and in my research I've found that it can have a lot of neurological manifestations. So can CNS Lupus.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I seem to be getting them a lot more often as I have the sweats & chills. I also have a vit. D deficiency & take prescription vit D. I also have fibromyalgia and get looked at like I am nuts by some docs(grin).

You can purchase tonic water with quinine in it and it helps. Prune juice has more potassium in it than bananas and does wonders for other things as well (grin).

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I get the same thing too. It usually happens at night, and it really hurts. Feels literally like a knot has been tied in my calf muscle. I find that the quinine in tonic water does help.

It's nasty tasting stuff, but it's not bad if you add some Stoli, two olives, and a dash of Vermouth. Shaken, not stirred, of course.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (07-22-2011), magistramarla (07-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    i get the same thing too. It usually happens at night, and it really hurts. Feels literally like a knot has been tied in my calf muscle. I find that the quinine in tonic water does help.

It's nasty tasting stuff, but it's not bad if you add some stoli, two olives, and a dash of vermouth. Shaken, not stirred, of course.

he's baaack............! My first giggle for the day! Thanks rob!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    he's baaack............! My first giggle for the day! Thanks rob!
    Howdy Tammy!

Thanks

Hi get it in my calfs and feet alot...just how marla explained it we suffer with things such alike.

Refering spasms it's always morning time going into the afternoon...i could scream with the pain but take paracetamol to help ease it, so we know what your going through.

Sjogren's like Marla said could be possibly causing this or Scleroderma which is involved with Raynauds Disease and can also cause these symptoms.

Terry xxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Does anyone get charley horses in the back of there legs and feet?
    OK guys, what is that? Another overseas term for legs that kick out sometimes? I have no idea what you are all talking about!
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

sonmak (07-24-2011)