Thread: Is it lupus related ?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Is it lupus related ?

I am taking the usual meds that most of us lupies take- my concern is that lately I can fall asleep very quickly and unexpectidly-like when sitting up reading or on the computer.I have never had problems sleeping in fact I can drink a pot of coffee and go take a nap. but this is getting rediculous and beginining to concern me about driving- which i do alot for my job.
    Thanks for your help Niall

Thanks

Niall,

It's called fatigue mate and yes it's regular as clock work the sleeping habit is...alot of us drop off anytime and alot of member's find it hard coping trying to work and also going to sleep.

Regarding work and your driving it's how bad it gets alot of member's have had to stop work through symptoms being to much and also the tiedness getting at them.

Terry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

n.mac (07-19-2011)

Thanks

Hi Niall,

Not sure if it is lupus related or not. Fatigue is a major issue we all face with Lupus. I would definately mention it to you doctor and if you find that while driving you are having any issues, make sure you stop and call your doctor immediately. I find it's always better to let them know. Sometimes the lupus can affect our brains which could be why you are falling asleep so easily. Best to get it checked out!
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyRN For This Useful Post:

n.mac (07-19-2011)

Thanks

Niall,

Here's abit of info on the sleeping disorders but i'm adding a link for you to read more.

The Cycle of Fatigue and Cognitive Dysfunction

In those with lupus, [systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)], the story of fatigue and cognitive dysfunction is what Dr. Melanie Harrison compares to the story of the “chicken and egg.” Each symptom directly impacts the other and can wreak havoc upon the human body by forcing one to endure an ongoing cycle of confusion caused by exhaustion, which is caused by confusion, which is caused by exhaustion, and so on. Such a scenario is hard for individuals to live with and difficult for physicians to diagnose.

Among the general population of the United States, fatigue is the main complaint in over ten million doctor visits, or one quarter of all visits annually. This is largely because the condition itself is so dynamic; many patients suffering from fatigue often complain of physical fatigue, where joints and bones are just worn out, while others describe more of a psychological fatigue that results from the stresses of life, work and family. Still others complain simply of mental fatigue, when their mind is hazy or not operating as clearly as they believe it should. At different times and in different ways, just about anyone can suffer from one or any combination of these ailments.

Despite such different ways of presenting itself, each variable symptom of fatigue is equally real and can often be much more pronounced in those with lupus. According to Dr. Harrison, those with lupus tend to experience lupus-related fatigue as “something more from inside” the human body. Though the term sounds uncertain, it lends itself to a different, and some may argue deeper, understanding of the symptom in those who experience it as a result of lupus; fatigue is more than mere listlessness. Rather, it is when one has little trouble beginning a task, but instead tires easily and has trouble keeping up (again, whether it be mentally, physically, psychologically, or otherwise).

“Fatigue, especially related to autoimmune diseases like lupus, is often persistent,” Dr. Harrison says. “It’s very intangible, but you know the difference - especially those with lupus know the difference. It’s not the same thing as just having a cold, it’s not the same thing as just not getting a good night’s sleep.”

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_lupus-...ysfunction.asp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

n.mac (07-19-2011)

Thanks

Hi Niall, there was thread started today on fatigue and feeling tired. I must tell you this is my worst time ever as far as dropping off to sleep anywhere, but especially in the car with the UV rays beating down on me. I apply sunscreen several times a day and wear long sleeve white shirts. I wear a sun visor too. This helps, but not like I hoped. I am on the road most of the day & it is getting rough. I have fallen asleep many times. I knowledge this sounds horrible of me, but I haven't found the solution to my problem yet. Bless you as you try to find a solution, as I have none.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

n.mac (07-19-2011)

Thanks

I find it very unsettling -I'm used to feeling tired after work or dozing off watching tv,but this can be abrupt liking throwing a switch.
    I was hoping it was a common sideeffect from meds.
    Thanks for your concern Niall