Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Battling the fatigue.

  1. #11
    rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    Well, I've found that fatigue is a b*tch. I mean, seriously. But they're also a b*tch in a fight, so all you have to do is jump on its back, pin it down, and sit on it's head. It helps if you threaten to fart on them - if you're really really pissed off at fatigue, screaming " STOP IT!!! I WILL PEE ON YOUR HEAD!!!" -and meaning it- does help as well.

    *sigh*
    if only we could actually beat up fatigue. I know I would give it one hell of a pummeling.

    I'm sorry, I can't really help Most of the time when I get tired and have to keep pushing myself, I get loopy. (hehe... lupie...loopy...get it? Nevermind)
    Ehem. But no, I get really really slap happy and practically tipsy. It doesn't really help people see me seriously, but it DOES help to keep things interesting.
    You really need to put a warning at the beginning of your posts. Something like this-

    Caution-The following may induce an involuntary laugh that when combined with a mouthfull of your favorite beverage, will make a mess all over your keyboard.

    Threaten to fart on them, I love it!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

    steve.b (07-20-2011)

  3. #12
    rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

    Default

    In regards to the fatigue, I've been living with SLE "officially" for over 7 years now, and unfortunately, I've never found anything to help me get through the fatigue. I no longer work, and I'm on disability, so when it happens, it's not like I have anything to do. I just try to sleep through it, or push throught it by doing some simple activity. I really feel for the folks here who are still soldiering on by working and staying with their job. Fatigue sucks.

    Rob

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

    lovedbyHim (07-19-2011), tgal (07-19-2011)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 182 Times in 116 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxie View Post
    Does anyone have any good tips or hints about winning the battle against fatigue?? ..... (I have a major issue with broken sleep)

    So hints for fighting fatigue please!! (and please dont say hot milk and a bath - thats all my GP ever says and I dont have a bath!! )
    I was going to say to have a hot shower if you canít sleep, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to take a nap when you feel tired, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to do some exercise which is good for your body, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to make sure you eat a healthy diet, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to read a really boring book that sends you to sleep, but i wonít.

    But what I will say is, fatigue is something you will learn to live with, rest when you can, try to live a healthy lifestyle, and try not to be too upset when you cannot function. Instead of thinking about how you are mucking up, think more about what you can do to fix things up. If you constantly get upset about how bad things are, the worse you will feel.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

    Nixxie (07-20-2011)

  7. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    882
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 272 Times in 196 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    I was going to say to have a hot shower if you canít sleep, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to take a nap when you feel tired, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to do some exercise which is good for your body, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to make sure you eat a healthy diet, but I wonít.
    I was going to say to read a really boring book that sends you to sleep, but i wonít.

    But what I will say is, fatigue is something you will learn to live with, rest when you can, try to live a healthy lifestyle, and try not to be too upset when you cannot function. Instead of thinking about how you are mucking up, think more about what you can do to fix things up. If you constantly get upset about how bad things are, the worse you will feel.


    I do believe that waking each day and living it to the fullest is vital. I also believe in being grateful for the little things and celebrating life in spite of circumstances is important, however, if that fatigue is lead blanket fatigue, it destoys your moments. I love going to church and busting out laughing with my good friends, but sometimes I can't get there because I can't function. We all want the miracle to come and allow us to function at least minimally. I want to keep my job so I can keep my home and do what I am good at.I help broken sickly people. If I can't drive I lose my job as it is "Mobile" psychiatric rehabilitation. I have 11 yrs in this job and know I can not function at this rate very much longer. I'm not upset when I can't function, I'm asleep behind the wheel. I'm only upset when I'm trying not to kill myself or someone else. Now if I was angry at them that would be different (grin).

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 413 Times in 339 Posts

    Default

    I am surprised, that all of you combine fatigue and sleepiness. When I am fatigued, I am not tired or sleepy, I am dragging, I can barely put one foot in front of the other. Sorry Rob, but I am going to have to use your phrase, it feels like I am wearing a lead blanket, that is slowing and dragging me down.
    Last night, it was so bad that I begged my coworker to work for me, 'till 10pm and I go home at 7pm, that is when she was supposed to get off. I was so fatigued, I could barely drive, but I was not tired. When I got home, I layed down in my easy chair, but I couln't sleep, just rest.
    When it hits me as bad as it did last night, all I want to do is lay down. I could barely make it to the bathroom in time, because I moved in slow motion.
    I envy you guys, I wish I could sleep it off.

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

  9. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    882
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 272 Times in 196 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    I am surprised, that all of you combine fatigue and sleepiness. When I am fatigued, I am not tired or sleepy, I am dragging, I can barely put one foot in front of the other. Sorry Rob, but I am going to have to use your phrase, it feels like I am wearing a lead blanket, that is slowing and dragging me down.
    Last night, it was so bad that I begged my coworker to work for me, 'till 10pm and I go home at 7pm, that is when she was supposed to get off. I was so fatigued, I could barely drive, but I was not tired. When I got home, I layed down in my easy chair, but I couln't sleep, just rest.
    When it hits me as bad as it did last night, all I want to do is lay down. I could barely make it to the bathroom in time, because I moved in slow motion.
    I envy you guys, I wish I could sleep it off.

    Debbie

    Honestly Debbie, sometimes i can't sleep. All I can do is lay in a coma-like state and waves of nausea and chills overtake me.I call that, "Hitting the wall" But Sun sickness just puts me out.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 413 Times in 339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    Honestly Debbie, sometimes i can't sleep. All I can do is lay in a coma-like state and waves of nausea and chills overtake me.I call that, "Hitting the wall" But Sun sickness just puts me out.
    I know, what you mean. I was nauseated, my head hurt, my stomach hurt and my joints, just hurt like heck, I was dizzy and my brain fog was really bad. It looks like I am in a new flare. I don't need that now, that the MTX is finally working.
    Ugghh

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

  11. #18
    tgal's Avatar
    tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,526
    Thanks
    1,548
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    In regards to the fatigue, I've been living with SLE "officially" for over 7 years now, and unfortunately, I've never found anything to help me get through the fatigue. I no longer work, and I'm on disability, so when it happens, it's not like I have anything to do. I just try to sleep through it, or push throught it by doing some simple activity. I really feel for the folks here who are still soldiering on by working and staying with their job. Fatigue sucks.

    Rob
    That is what I just did. I was so excited that my friend Linda (you know the one... the Aussie) got up in the middle of the night to talk to me but fatigue had just hit me so hard that we spoke for maybe 10 min and I had to say goodbye and hit my bed. It was so sad because I only received the short version of her trip.

  12. #19
    tgal's Avatar
    tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,526
    Thanks
    1,548
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    I am surprised, that all of you combine fatigue and sleepiness. When I am fatigued, I am not tired or sleepy, I am dragging, I can barely put one foot in front of the other. Sorry Rob, but I am going to have to use your phrase, it feels like I am wearing a lead blanket, that is slowing and dragging me down.
    Last night, it was so bad that I begged my coworker to work for me, 'till 10pm and I go home at 7pm, that is when she was supposed to get off. I was so fatigued, I could barely drive, but I was not tired. When I got home, I layed down in my easy chair, but I couln't sleep, just rest.
    When it hits me as bad as it did last night, all I want to do is lay down. I could barely make it to the bathroom in time, because I moved in slow motion.
    I envy you guys, I wish I could sleep it off.

    Debbie
    I don't really combine them because they are two different things however sometimes I get one with the other. I took a nap because the fatigue has been on me all day and it is even now after I woke up. The nap didn't fix it but I felt the need at the time. There is no sleeping away the fatigue but, for me, there is no energy for anything else so sleep and fatigue are friends for short periods of times. When I have bad fatigue (like now) sometimes I can't sleep at night and am up until 3 or 4 in the morning. I am tired but I can't sleep but in the middle of the day I may take a nap. My sleep patterns get all messed up when my friend fatigue is with me
    Last edited by tgal; 07-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 182 Times in 116 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    That is what I just did. I was so excited that my friend Linda (you know the one... the Aussie) got up in the middle of the night to talk to me but fatigue had just hit me so hard that we spoke for maybe 10 min and I had to say goodbye and hit my bed. It was so sad because I only received the short version of her trip.
    OK OK OK, the truth be told, I was up because I was so fatigued, I couldnít sleep. I didnít actually get up in the middle of the night just to talk to you tgal. But I was up anyway, so I thought I would try to see if I could talk to you. And I did, even if it was just for 10 minutes. Like I said before: If you constantly get upset about how bad things are, the worse you will feel. If things go wrong, I try to turn it around to do something successful. And talking to tgal in the middle of the night, is an awesome successful thing to do.

    I was only discussing with tgal in the early hours of this morning ... If I get 2 or 3 solid hours sleep, I feel so refreshed, imagine if I got 8 hours solid sleep, imagine what i could do.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •