Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello- new to site.

Thanks

Default Hello- new to site.

Hi I am a 50 yr old man with lupus. I was diagnosed 15 months ago, up until then I did not have a regular doctor and my medical history basically consisted of having had my toncils out when I was 7. I went to a ear doctor because I had developed tinnitus from exposure to loud noises at work and it was starting to interfere with my ability to sleep, he had some blood work done without mentioning lupus and when the results came in he referred me to a ruhemy. I quite often wear safety glasses and a respirator at work,and would break out occasionally on the exposed skin(which is basically in the classic butterfly shape) which I always assumed was from chemical exposure. I have suffered from aches and pains for many years which I always thought was due to the physical nature of my job. I have always been very sensitive to the sun-extreme reactions to minimal exposures , but so was my father and I always thought this was due to my Irish ancestry.
    I now have 2 doctors I see regularly and a full page list of medications most of which I cannot pronounce.
    I'm still sorting out what is lupus related and what is old age and job related. Every middle aged construction worker I know has aches and pains- cement fishers have bad knees and backs ,drywall rockers have neck problems ,carpenters and electricians have finger and wrist problems etc.
    I noticed here as with other sites I have visited not much male participation,I have learned a great deal by visiting as I'm sure many others have even if we do not actively participate.
    I thank those of you who do for your for your efforts and sharing.

Niall

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Niall! First let me welcome you to WHL! We not only have a moderator that is male we have several that post with as well. Like you I had not been to doctors most of my adult life until this fine disease decided to take hold. Looking back I had it much longer than I knew but it still took many doctors and many years to get a diagnosis.

There are so many wonderful threads here and some great information can be found either by searching through the old ones or starting a new topic on your own. Once again, welcome to our WHL family. I look forward to getting to know you!

Thanks

Hello and welcome Niall! You are right there are few men on this forum, but their words a dear to all of us words women. I know you experiences will be valued by many.

I too have trouble sorting out what is lupus and what is wear and tear from life. I was a long distance runner, I am supposed to have arthritis in my legs & feet. In time you will learn the difference between a lupus flair and normal wear and tear. At least I have.

Do you still have tinitis? I have a mild amount of it. I can't imagine it louder. Again welcome to a wonderful safe place to rest your head.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

hi and welcome,
    i am a male, so you are not completelly alone.
    i turn 50 at the end of the year.

please click on my name, and read a little about me, on my profile.

looking forward to getting to know you.

Thanks

Hello and thank you for your warm welcome. unfortunatly I do still have tinitus-for many years it was just my left ear but now it is both although the left is louder. I usually sleep with a radio or tv turned on low which helps to mask the noise of tinitus.

Thanks

Ok that sounds really difficult to deal with. I will not whine anymore...today.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    I will not whine anymore...today.
    does this mean you will not be on here?
    or am i in trouble for another "smart alec" remark?
    Last edited by steve.b; 07-17-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: mind works....fingers dont

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    LOL No, she is not going anywhere. The majority of us can be "smart alecs" at times simply for the comic relief.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (07-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    Ok Steve, you smart alec! As long as I am the one bringing the "whine" , you bring the cheese and Mari, I just love rosemary bread. We could have a party! Oh forgive me, make that rosemary wraps for Steve. Tehehe.. All are welcome but only the best "whine" please!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

steve.b (07-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n.mac View Post
    Hi I am a 50 yr old man with lupus. I was diagnosed 15 months ago, up until then I did not have a regular doctor and my medical history basically consisted of having had my toncils out when I was 7. I went to a ear doctor because I had developed tinnitus from exposure to loud noises at work and it was starting to interfere with my ability to sleep, he had some blood work done without mentioning lupus and when the results came in he referred me to a ruhemy. I quite often wear safety glasses and a respirator at work,and would break out occasionally on the exposed skin(which is basically in the classic butterfly shape) which I always assumed was from chemical exposure. I have suffered from aches and pains for many years which I always thought was due to the physical nature of my job. I have always been very sensitive to the sun-extreme reactions to minimal exposures , but so was my father and I always thought this was due to my Irish ancestry.
    I now have 2 doctors I see regularly and a full page list of medications most of which I cannot pronounce.
    I'm still sorting out what is lupus related and what is old age and job related. Every middle aged construction worker I know has aches and pains- cement fishers have bad knees and backs ,drywall rockers have neck problems ,carpenters and electricians have finger and wrist problems etc.
    I noticed here as with other sites I have visited not much male participation,I have learned a great deal by visiting as I'm sure many others have even if we do not actively participate.
    I thank those of you who do for your for your efforts and sharing.

Niall
    Hi Niall,
    Welcome to our great family of WHL and we're all here to support one another in so many ways, as we're not Doctor's but know such alot about the symptoms as we all suffer such alot everyday and besides that you'll learn so much from the threads and what's linked with Lupus.

Lupus carries 80% in women to men but we do have male member's who go through such alot like yourself and you thinking it may be your Irish Ancestry...it can also be inherited off your parent's as mine was from birth but not diagnosed with Lupus till 3yrs ago.

Besides seeing a Rheumo, i suggest seeing a Dermo for your skin because i've had the malar rash (Butterfly) and it's so sore steriod creams help in such a good way, with your bloods showing Lupus what else as it showed besides refering any A1 Diseases or any Autoimmune diseases?? and are you now on meds to help you in anyway??.

It will be nice getting to know you Terry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

n.mac (07-18-2011)