Thread: Accupuncture ?

Thanks

Default Accupuncture ?

I was going to wait until I got the other medical stuff out of the way, before I decided to contact a doctor who does accupuncture. My rheumy thinks it might help my muscle spasms and sent a referral. Before I do this, I would like to know, has anyone ever sought this treatment, and has it helped? I don't want to waste money I don't have, but if it works, I am in. Please tell me your thoughts.

I have SLE, fibromyalgia, hoshimotos, etc. Each one can cause muscle spasms.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i have not tried it.

if you do, let us all know how it goes.

wishing you peace. i know spasms are difficult to live with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-10-2011)

Thanks

[QUOTE=steve.bryce;91903]i have not tried it.

if you do, let us all know how it goes.

wishing you peace. i know spasms are difficult to live with.[

/QUOTE]
    Thanks Steve wishing you peace as well. Today I stretched a lot and the pain is relentless. How do men cope as they have larger muscle mass. It must be rough.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Tammy,

As you know, I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to many of the alternative types of treatments and methods. However, I belong to a local MS support group, and three of the people in the group have had acupuncture done to help with managing neurological pain (in conjunction with their regular meds), and they have had good results. They say that it's not an end to the pain, but it does reduce it enough to be noticeable, and thus beneficial.

I should say that these people are just as skeptical as I am, so they are not ones to just go do something like this unless there was some possibility of it actually being effective. If it can help some people with MS manage neurological pain, I would think that it may also work for neurological pain caused by SLE. That's just a guess on my part though.

I don't think it would hurt to look further into the possibility of acupuncture helping you.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 07-10-2011 at 08:54 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-10-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I, personally haven't tried Acupuncture myself - and i'm not sure i ever would, I mean, come on... it's needles... but I have heard some pretty good things about it.
    Even if you only go once and it turns out to not work for you, at least you know that it doesn't work and you don't have to wonder about it. Plus, it could really really work for you - and in my eyes, that's a good bargain to take.
    Let us know if you do decide to try it - and how it goes. I hope that it helps you - heck knows we all wish the best for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-10-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I tried accupuncture a few years ago when I did some slight nerve damage to my leg. There was a small patch on my leg that I lost feeling in and after being like that for a year I was talking to a friend's wife who practiced chinese medicine and accupuncture who told me to come by and get a treatment. I went for regular sessions once per week for a month or so. I have feeling in that part of my leg again.
    In regards to the SLE when I had my first flare last year I was in so much pain I couldnt move/walk for about 3 weeks. After being able to walk again I went to see my friend's wife again. I had treatments once per fortnight for a couple of months and it helped so much. I noticed relief from the pain about 2 hours after my first treatment.
    Im all about taking your medications and not alternative treatments with SLE but with the joint pains i found much more long lasting relief with accupuncture than pain killers!
    Let us know how you go if you decide to do it!
    Diagnosed with SLE and Antiphospholipid Syndrom - June 2010

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-11-2011), lovedbyHim (07-11-2011)

Thanks

Hi Tammy,

I'm sorry mate can't help you on this one...but abit of needle fun might liven you up (wink) lol

All the best mate if you go and try it, there's no harm in it, i just hope your ok with needles.

Love Terry xxx