Thread: Can someone with Bedside manner please help explain these blood tests

Thanks

Default Can someone with Bedside manner please help explain these blood tests

Since this group has been so much more helpful than my (former) rheumy, can someone please help explain these blood tests. Yes, I know I have Lupus, but wondering if I should start freaking out, as I am planning on leaving for Europe on a business trip a week from today and rheumy gave the OK. All abnormal blood tests:

ACL IGG-65.6 (low medium positive; 80 is high positive)
    ACL IGM-12.4 (intermediate)
    Anti DNA-953.3 (off the charts positive)
    ANA-Positive (duh)
    Histone IGG-3.7 (strong positive)

I am freaking out over DVT based on the ACL scores, even though I had a Scan in January that came back normal, additionally I have compression socks and will wear them and drink lots of water and take baby aspirin. Any additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Trying to stay off starting the Plaquinel until I return due to its side effects. I need to be in top shape for this trip.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Thanks

Welcome tazdmd! I know absolutely nothing about bloodwork. So sorry. There are others with bedside manner(LOL) on this forum who will help you far better than myself. I hope you have a wonderfrul trip and that when you return and start the plaquinel it will go well for you. You are with a great group of supportive folks who will walk beside you all the way.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
    Since this group has been so much more helpful than my (former) rheumy, can someone please help explain these blood tests. Yes, I know I have Lupus, but wondering if I should start freaking out, as I am planning on leaving for Europe on a business trip a week from today and rheumy gave the OK. All abnormal blood tests:

ANA-Positive (duh)

I am freaking out over DVT based on the ACL scores, even though I had a Scan in January that came back normal, additionally I have compression socks and will wear them and drink lots of water and take baby aspirin. Any additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Trying to stay off starting the Plaquinel until I return due to its side effects. I need to be in top shape for this trip.

First let me welcome you to WHL. There is no need to freak out and, as you know, stress is the worst thing for us. It is going to be OK. One other thing, please remember that I am not doctor so I can't diagnose you but I can share some information that hopefully helps

I see that you have already figured out what the ACL scores could possibly mean. I have Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS) and it just means that my blood tends to clot too quickly. There is an official site for APS and I am going to post the link below. As long as your doctors have cleared you and you drink water, wear the sock and move about the cabin during the flight you should be fine. Sounds like you are doing the right things already so try to relax a little. This is one of those lovely things that Lupus patients can often get ( if one already has Lupus and then gets APS it is called Secondary APS)

Aspirin is the first line defense because it tends to thin the blood but some doctors do like to use warfarin as a treatment. You might want to check with him to see what, if any, meds he recommend

Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome Official Site

As for the Anti DNA and the Histone tests both of those are tests the doctors use to help in the diagnoses or treatment of Auto Immune Disease. John Hopkins hospital has a wonderful Lupus Site and I will paste the link below.

John Hopkins Lupus Website

Hope this helped a bit.
    Last edited by tgal; 07-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (07-11-2011), Saysusie (07-09-2011)

Thanks

it helps a lot! Thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post

ANA-Positive (duh)

Hi tazdmb,

tgal as given great posts for helping you and refering your trip you do need the baby Asprin but if your holding off the plaquenil till you get back because of side affects...when you do eventually get back i recommend taking it at night if it's one tablet as they are good but i was taking them in the dy at first but second time round at night now and hardly get anything the next day.

I wish you the best of luck with your trip and take all precautions neccessary for your trip when flying.