Thread: Any Salagen users

Thanks

Question Any Salagen users

well i dont even know if i spelled it right, but it's close enough to know what i'm talking about.LOL Anyway, my doctor called in scripts for me, Prednisone for my flare and Salagen for dry eyes,mouth and nose. My eyes are doing alot better with the plugs and Restasis. but when i'm in a flare everything goes downhill and i have a hard time swallowing.
    So i call the Pharmacist and give him the side effect third degree that we go through with every new drug and he suggests that i not fill it if i dont absolutly have to have it.
    I always am grateful that he is so honest with me, but i was just wondering if any of you use it and if so what kind of side effects you get from it?

Thanks

Hi Craftkeeper,
    I take Pilocarpine, which is the generic form of either Salagen or Evoxac, I'm not sure which.
    I haven't had any problems with it at all. My prescription was written for me to take 1 to 3 pills per day, as needed. I usually take just one, but if my throat feels dry in the afternoon, I'll pop another one. Some people have had lots of sweating or too much saliva from them, but it never has bothered me.
    I've always had bad teeth, and dentists always told me that I didn't take good care of them, when I really did. Now I know that its been a dry mouth all along - my teeth have actually crumbled and fell out. I have a lot of crowns now, and the med has helped me to have more saliva.
    One other thing that it has helped with - vaginal dryness - yeah!!!!
    Good luck with it!
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

craftkeeper (07-09-2011)

Thanks

I am on Pilocarpine. I have not had any side effects and I take 4 tablets a day. Sjogren's is a real problem for me with the dryness and swallowing, I use restasis for my eyes, but need help with the other issues of dryness. Yes, it has definately helped with vaginal dryness. That has been my experience with it and I have been taking it for several years.

Good luck if you decide to go on it.
    Sue

'Friends are like stars.....You don't always see them, but you know they are there.'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lacey50 For This Useful Post:

craftkeeper (07-09-2011)

Thanks

Thanks Marla and Lacey, I guess i'm going to wait a few days and see how i feel before trying it.. I'm having a horrible time with my knees right now and i dont think i can take any side effects right now. I had heard that it can cause profuse sweating and drooling. My pharmacists try to take care of me because they know how i am about medications.

Thanks

Hi Craftkeeper,

Seems like Marla and lacey have helped concerning your thoughts on it but if you think it's best to give it a few days than do that mate and take it when you feel ready.

Refering bad swallowing larks i get that off the sjogrens and my good the pain after dow i know about it. xxx

Thanks

LOVE LOVE LOVE salagen! No side effects and no waking up with my lips stuck to my teeth! Love my eye plugs too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hello lupyme,
    welcome to our little family.
    please read lots, and reply where you think appropriate.
    or start a new thread.

Thanks

Hi Lupyme, I love my plugs to. I use Restasis, Systane and Genteel gel also but got the most relief from the plugs. The all over dryness is enough to drive you off the deep end isn't it? I hate waking up at night so dry you can't swallow. It really can make you anxious

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lupyme View Post
    LOVE LOVE LOVE salagen! No side effects and no waking up with my lips stuck to my teeth! Love my eye plugs too.
    Hi lupyme,

Welcome to WHL and nice to have you with and also contributing to craftkeepers post.

Terry