Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh ain't life grand...another operation due.lol

Thanks

Lymph Glands and Lymph Nodes

Terms Lymph Gland and Lymph Node are used interchangeably here and refer to the same thing.

Enlargement of lymph glands is a common medical problem. Patients themselves can easily notice enlarged lymph glands. Enlargement of lymph glands may or may not indicate a serious illness. This pamphlet is intended to increase your knowledge about enlarged lymph nodes in adults and it dose not replace seeing a doctor or obtaining medical opinion from a qualified physician. You must see a doctor if you have any concerns about your health. This pamphlet does not address any issues in pediatric age group.

Our Website, www.tirgan.com. is a great resource to you for understanding of the technical terms that you may encounter here. Remember that you should discuss your medical problems with a physician and this pamphlet is not meant to substitute obtaining professional medical help from your doctor.

M. Hossein Tirgan, MD

Introduction:

Human body has numerous lymph nodes. Some are located under the skin and if enlarged, they can be easily noticed or palpated. Term Palpation means touching and feeling something with our fingers. We notice most of the enlarged nodes by palpation. Other lymph nodes are located inside chest, abdomen and pelvis and are very hard to palpate unless they are extremely large.

Most commonly, an enlarged lymph gland is noticed under the skin. The areas that contain lymph glands and are easily palpable are neck, the area behind the clavicles (collar bone), areas under the arms and groins. Enlarged lymph nodes can also be palpated in the area near the elbow as well.

Sometimes a lump may be palpated under the skin in other areas. Not every palpable lump is a lymph node. The location of lumps, their physical character and consistency and how hey feel under hands help in differentiating them from lymph nodes.

What are the other kinds of lumps that can be palpated under the skin?

There are a few other conditions that present themselves with lumps under the skin such as Lipomas and benign Cysts and nodules. Not every lump is a lymph node. Palpable lymph nodes are limited to the neck, under the arms, groins and rarely in the elbow region.

Lipomas are by far the most common form of lumps under the skin and are due to fatty tissue overgrowth. They are completely benign and cause no harm. They can be palpable everywhere in the body, mostly in the back, chest, abdominal area and arms and legs. They feel very soft, are mobile and may be even flat. Some people have more than one Lipoma and some may even have many Lipomas in various places. Lipomas grow extremely slowly and remain the same size as they have been in the past. They are painless and non-tender.

Cysts are small collection of fluids and may be seen in limited areas in the body. They can be of various sizes and most commonly are soft and can be compressed by the palpating fingers. Some cysts are located under the skin and some are within the thickness of skin itself. If the fluid in the cyst is under pressure, the cyst may feel tense and hard. Cysts are rather uncommon. They can be seen in the breasts or sometimes associated with a joint, referred to as synovial cyst and sometimes in the neck. Cysts can be emptied by inserting a needle inside them. Fluid and material that is removed should be sent for pathological evaluation. Some cysts completely disappear after this procedure.

Cancer Nodules are seen in patients who have advanced stages of cancer. Cancers can also spread to the skin or under the skin and look like a lump. Such lumps grow rather constantly and the overlying skin may be red. Such lumps are hard and may even involve the skin and be immobile. Depending on circumstances, such nodules may need to be biopsied or removed.

How can we determine if a lymph node is cancerous or not?

If the lump is determined to be a lymph node, the next step would be to find and establish the cause for its enlargement. Not every palpable lymph node is cancerous. The following is a clinical guideline that we use in evaluating enlarged lymph nodes. If the node is felt to be suspicious for a cancerous or other important illnesses, it must be further evaluated by performing blood tests, a needle biopsy or surgical removal.

www.tirgan.com/lymphgland.htm

Thanks

Terry - that whole summer I was going in to the doc to have the cyst drained. Finally I was refered to surgeon to have it taken out and on the way home from that appt is when I got the call that my dad was doing badly and betw all the traveling back and forth to Florida and whatnot, I just never followed up with surgeon. It's still back there but it's the same as it was two years ago - no growth.

Bruno is gorgeous. We have two cats (in the pic) - Bowin on the left and Justy on the right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    Okay, because I love ya Terry here is my attempt to make you smile in the midst of this crap!

Yes life is a GRAND PAIN WHERE A PILL CAN'T REACH!
    However, if you give me your address I'll come and do a Mary Kay makeover when you get back from surgery. Let's see what is your skin tone and eye color? In trade you can kick the docs butts WHERE A PILL CAN'T REACH for me!

Sorry this is the best I can do while in pain, wishing I was at home with my droid, snuggled in bed!
    Oh Bless you Tammy,

Christ to make me face up mate would cost more money than it's worth...well my skin tone is brown and my eyes are green which turn brown during the day, weird ah.

I thought you was'nt working today...the state your in Tam you should be bloody resting for christ woman.

All my heart goes out to you mate the way you are. xoxoxoxox

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manderson View Post
    Terry - that whole summer I was going in to the doc to have the cyst drained. Finally I was refered to surgeon to have it taken out and on the way home from that appt is when I got the call that my dad was doing badly and betw all the traveling back and forth to Florida and whatnot, I just never followed up with surgeon. It's still back there but it's the same as it was two years ago - no growth.

Bruno is gorgeous. We have two cats (in the pic) - Bowin on the left and Justy on the right.
    Marie, alot of doctor's drain them it's only like mine coming out on it's own but they re-grow back unless it's proper surgery and the sack is removed they cut it awy from the skin.
    I've had this by my ear since i was about 14 and since the lupus started going mad, that's when the growth got bigger..so please keep an eye on it.

Your cats are a gorgeous colour, i had a black and white one with my first staff and later down the line i was feeding 4 strays and a pure black stray i called Lucky she was beautiful i just adore them and you get some great laughs at times. xxx

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hope that everything goes well and you get to feeling better soon

Thanks

Oh girl what can I say, other than sending good healing vibes and soft hugs your way.

Thanks

Hi Terry i'm so sorry you have to have another surgery. My husband has to deal with alot of this type of cyst. He's had four taken from his back and just recently he had one come up under his armpit which had us worried, but he refused to go to the doctor and it did come out on it's own. We are just waiting to see if it comes back. We watch him pretty close because he had a Melanoma taken from his shoulder last year.

Aug 4th is my oldest daughter Dana's birthday so i say that's a good omen for you.[Plus i'll be doing alot of praying that you are comfortable through it all.]. As far as scaring, i know that there are supposed to be some fairly good creams sold across counter that is supposed to control it somewhat. Plus vitamin E oil helped alot with some things i had done. I think everyone's skin is different when it comes to scarring. I've had five surgeries but only one on my face and that was for a broken nose so it was on the inside,so no visible scars. I know your not looking forward to it but i'm wishing you the best.

Thanks

Hi Terry,
    Hey girl, you're not Scary Mary at all!
    I've had three cysts removed over the years - it isn't bad at all. I've had one on each wrist. The worst one was in "the female area". My dear hubby got to watch that removal and stitch-up and I would have hit him if I could have reached him for his smart-aleck comments!

I've read that swollen lymph glands is very common with Sjogren's. You might want to do a little research on that, mate.
    I'll be thinking about you, my dear.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Well I have given it some thought. You will need a #4 foundation. I believe to widen the eyes a beige. On top of that green shadow to bring out your eyes, a dark brown eyeliner and dark brown mascara.

Terry, When Mary Kay was about Ummm.....150 yrs old I think (grin) noone could tell because of het amazing makeover. It's all about illusion girl. Really! I'm 98! That makeup is simply amazing! (wink wink)

Thanks

Sorry that you have to have another surgery Terry! You sure have been having a rough go of things lately. Take care.