Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: heartbreaking decision

Thanks

Alcoholism is a devastating disease and its effects are far reaching. In our family, I have seen it destroy the lives of the immediate and not so immediate family members. There comes a time, when for your own health, safety and sanity, you have to make difficult decisions. I admire your strength and courage. I also encourage you to find support. You are hurting here too. WOuld you be comforatable looking for an Al-Anon meeting near you? Sorry that isn't the right acronym, brain fog, but the meetings for family members. I also know that some communities have meetings specifically for different groups within the family dynamic such as Adult children of alcoholics, parents of, etc. It might do some good to meet others who have faced similar decisions in a non-judgemental environment...or perhaps even speaking to a counsellor or therapist yourself. I am so sorry that you are in this situation. As others have said you do not need my approval, but you 100% have it and any strength that I may offer you to make it through this difficult time. If your son is willing and when he is ready, he may come through the other side of this and then it will be up to the two of you to decide if you will have a relationship and what that might look like...Until then you can't make him change. And you don't deserve to let him or anyone else hurt you. Please take care and take heart. Sending you oodles of strength and courage.
    Bunny

P.S. I forgot to mention the gambling portion too...We have that issue as well and I think the same goes for it...It affects so many people in the family and especially those who already have compromised immune systems, need to learn to take care of themselves first. I can only imagine how difficult this is from a mom's perspective but please believe me when I say, you are doing the right thing.
    Last edited by bunny28; 07-07-2011 at 06:28 PM.