Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical Therapy Question

Thanks

Question Physical Therapy Question

Has anyone had good luck with physical therapy? Is it worth the time and the cost?
    My rheumy has given me a prescription for it again. I tried it a year ago, and it really didn't seem to do any good at all. I get a massage twice a month, and that helps to relax my muscles for just a short time.
    I did find a different PT office in the area that has a therapist on staff that is knowledgeable about spasticity, so I'm thinking about trying there.
    So, what results have any of you had with PT?
    Hugs,
    Marla

2. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-05-2011)

Thanks

Oh Gosh Marla, if it helps let me know. I am a mess with back, neck, arms, calves, etc. Spasms. Marla do you have fibromyalgia too?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

My daughter's Rhuemy gave her a prescription for it too. We didn't get around to using it because we couldn't find one that did what she wanted and her PCP said it was optional (and I ADORE him). I am holding on to it in case things get worse since the Ammitriptyline seems to be working well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    Oh Gosh Marla, if it helps let me know. I am a mess with back, neck, arms, calves, etc. Spasms. Marla do you have fibromyalgia too?
    No, fibro was ruled out a long time ago. My worst problem lately are the muscles that spasm so hard that it is unbearable. They also stay clenched and hard as rocks.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I haven't tried PT for my issues, however, my son has had PT for carpal tunnel and he also has RA. He finds it very beneficial.

I really don't know how it couldn't help. You have very tight muscles that need heat and gentle stretching. I think they can train you on a home exercise program that would provide you with relief.

Dr L told me yesterday when I asked him why I has bad muscular cramps when I stretch in the morning that it's like going to the meat counter and you see the muscles on a piece of meat. The muscles are stretched and cold. You have to warm them up and gently stretch them. Use warm rice packs or heating pads. It's all due to inflammation of the muscles. The same meds we take for AI disease should also reduce the inflammation in our muscles.

I think you're on to something with the links you provided in my thread. To have to suffer through those cramps all the time OMG Marla-you poor thimg. I get them in the morning only, when I stretch. I can't imagine all the time. I haven't heard of it occurring with myositis. Then again, you're so special, M, you could be starting yet another trend. I know what you're thinking "Oh yeah, why can't I just be a textbook case of something?".

Seriously, I can't help but wonder if it's due to the same issue with your vocal cords...the tightness going throughout your bod. Could they give you Botox into your calf muscles to relax them?

Did your incompetent rheumy renew your MTX? Feeling better with getting your meds back? Did you finally get your labs drawn? Any surprises there?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (07-06-2011)

Thanks

Hello Marla,

Sorry mate but i can't help you on this one never had it but all the best if you do try it.

Hugs Terry xxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BonusMom View Post
    I really don't know how it couldn't help. You have very tight muscles that need heat and gentle stretching. I think they can train you on a home exercise program that would provide you with relief.

I think you're on to something with the links you provided in my thread. To have to suffer through those cramps all the time OMG Marla-you poor thimg. I get them in the morning only, when I stretch. I can't imagine all the time. I haven't heard of it occurring with myositis. Then again, you're so special, M, you could be starting yet another trend. I know what you're thinking "Oh yeah, why can't I just be a textbook case of something?".

Seriously, I can't help but wonder if it's due to the same issue with your vocal cords...the tightness going throughout your bod. Could they give you Botox into your calf muscles to relax them?

Did your incompetent rheumy renew your MTX? Feeling better with getting your meds back? Did you finally get your labs drawn? Any surprises there?
    BonusMom,
    Yes, the gentle stretching that my masseuse does helps for a while, but the muscles soon tighten up again.
    The base is building a new community center, with a pool, just down the street from us. I'm hoping that the PT will help me to figure out a routine that I can do on my own once it opens.

I do wish that I could be a textbook case of something. It seems that my body has taken "one from column A, two from column B, one from column C" and mixed them all together in its own recipe. I have such a mixture of AI diseases, it confuses all of the docs.

I do think that the otolaryngologist at UCSF is onto something, though. He said that the tremors are getting worse in my vocal cords, so it makes sense that the worsening spasticity in my legs might be related. I will also never forget how my auntie was all rolled up into a spastic little ball just before she died. The nursing home staff said that they sometimes see that with Alzheimer's. When I researched the Heriditary Spastic Paraplegia, it said that dementia can happen in the end stages of the disease. I'm wondering if that is what Aunt Erma had. She also had the voice problems. My kids noticed it right away that I talk like Aunt Erma. It also mentioned bladder spasms and urinary urgency, which I have, and the docs ignore.

I managed to get copies of my lab reports from the rheumy by telling her that the insurance nurse wanted them. Now I finally know my cholesterol number! She only orders the standard tests, so there weren't any big surprises. She never does the careful liver function tests, which my other doc always kept a close eye on because of the MTX. She did renew my prescription, but I haven't filled it. She doesn't see me again until Nov. and she didn't order any blood work. I just don't trust her with the MTX. I feel fine - it's just that my skin problems are coming back. I think that my other doc was planning to adjust the doses of the Plaquenil and the MTX so that the Plaquenil would be of the most help to me. It has helped my joints wonderfully, but I'm still on the lowest dose. I can't help but wonder if I was taking 400 mg, like most people, if it would help the skin issues, too?

I've found a PT that has someone on staff that specializes in spasticity. As soon as I can talk, I'm going to check it out. Perhaps the report from the PT will get the rheumy more on the ball. If not, I'll just wait 'til I get back to SA. My great docs back there are the only good thing about moving back!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

hmm... I'm in pt right now for my hip and hands. I've been going every week. For the hip we've been doing exercises with rubber bands. They said I have a class 2 muscle strain. Im supposed to do the exercises at home and every week I get new ones which stretch out the muscle a little more. Is it helping? Perhaps. I'm getting a wider range of motion every time I go and doing more intense exercises. I should be finished soon. Hopefully. My hands are a mess. They want me to seriously consider surgery. They dip them in paraffin and follow with massage every session. It feels good temporarily. There are still knots under there. Ive decided to resume playing my instruments and see what happens. I played a gig the other night-- my cousin coerced me- 2 sets, about 20 songs. That night and the next day my fingers felt like chocolate after it comes out of the fridge. Like everything was going to break into little pieces. My hands are definitely not ok. I don't know what to do. I'm going to continue for a little while more and hear what the surgeon has to say. If they screw up my hands I won't be able to play, and I've always been a musician before a surfer. What area of the body are they concentrating on for you? Have you already done cortisone shots? Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks

Marla, this all sounds very frightening, as well as miserable. I am so sorry this is happening to you. To answer your original question about PT, it really depends on the person and their training. My daughter found an incredible PT who helped her tremendously - but she had her PhD and went to conferences and classes all the time. I guess that's the secret - find someone who is constantly learning. Best wishes to you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

tgal (07-06-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

marla,
    glad to hear you got your results. it is silly when we need to resort to trickery to get what is rightfully ours.
    i hope you manage to sort out something with the spasms.
    them all being connected does sound logical.

dawn patrol,
    please be careful not to overdo your fingers.
    i have smashed one of mine, requiring 2 surgeries to repair.
    pleae do not rush into music sets too quickly.
    song for your own enjoyment............always
    sets........eventually