Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoga and veggies?

Thanks

Default Yoga and veggies?

Does anyone here do yoga? And if so does it help? I think Im going to start with some basic stuff today. My therapist motivated me to start doing it because I've been saying I would for at least a month. Also, is anyone on a vegetarian diet? I am thinking about talking to my doctor about starting one in the next few months. I've always wanted to and I think I will have an easier time doing it when I'm on my own at college.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Hi Ritz,

I have never tried yoga, i don't think that my old, beat up body, could move that way.
    The only thing I do is walk when I can.
    There is no way, I could ever be a vegetarian, because I love meat to much. But I do eat healthy, lots of veggies, some raw, some cooked or steamed, I also eat fruit every day.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

No yoga for me. My body couldn't handle it. As for the vegetarian diet, one of my first doctors suggested that. Then another suggested all organic, another atkins..lol I have always just tried to eat a healthy diet until I read about Atkins type of diet helping seizures. That is what I am doing now. Let us know how it goes!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Everyone keeps telling me yoga is pretty easy on the body, thats why Im trying it. My knees are too much of a mess all the time to do much walking.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I loved yoga when I was doing it about 7 years ago. I also loved Pilates. I think Pilates is a little gentler. You might want to try that first. Yoga, while very very good for a normal body, can be a little stressful on a challenged one. There are different kinds of yoga too - hot yoga for example is in a very warm room and is supposed to help keep your joints "fluid" but really stresses me out because I find the air to be smothering. Not ideal for excersize. You'll have to try it out. Take baby steps. Try a different form if the one you are doing doesn't work.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (06-06-2011)

Thanks

Im determined to start being healthier in all aspects of my life, not just lupus related things. I think trying to improve everything will help with that as well. I've been reading this book and while I think some of it is complete crap it still holds a good idea. Do any of you use alternate medicine also that helps you? Im thinking of asking my doctor if and what I can add that might make me feel better. There's a lot of things in this book from all walks of life. I think its interesting. If any of it could help me out I'd be willing to try it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    Im determined to start being healthier in all aspects of my life, not just lupus related things. I think trying to improve everything will help with that as well. I've been reading this book and while I think some of it is complete crap it still holds a good idea. Do any of you use alternate medicine also that helps you? Im thinking of asking my doctor if and what I can add that might make me feel better. There's a lot of things in this book from all walks of life. I think its interesting. If any of it could help me out I'd be willing to try it.
    define "alternative medicine". if you mean prayer therapy, chiropractics, certain vitamins and stretches, than yes. If you mean following some sort of "cocktail regiment" or "diet therapy" than no.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

No I mean other things like I've heard of people taking stuff like fish oil and stuff along with their meds and that it helps. Along with the yoga and new therapy I want to add in stuff like that to see if it helps. Like I saw people talking about ginger or something like that for nausea in another thread. I need something to help with my stomach other than just more pills lol tums and prilosec arent cutting it so I think I need some natural stuff that would help.

Thanks

Hi Ritzbitz, I have tried a lot of different things to avoid so many meds and side affects from them. I tried a homeopath. She did not help me. I tried a diet rich in goats milk products, keifer, etc. This seemed to stop my gastric issues. I ate organic for years & still try to eat at least half organic, but the price of it is so much to afford. I continued to have flairs while on organics.

I take lots of vitamin supplements to help with hair,skin,nail,bone,and energy issues. My hair is much thicker now. I don't know if It's from vitamins or meds I take. Lol. I tried herbs for inflammation and pain. They barely touched it. I'm sorry to say.

What has truly helped me is walking, stretching, reducing stressors, avoiding negative people, hanging out with positive people, laughing, ATTITUDE toward the new me, gratitude for each new day given to me, helping others and forgetting I am sick for awhile, using my time wisely and not over doing it, and above all my hope and faith.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck in school. Take good care of you!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

Dance in the Rain (07-06-2011), ritzbit (06-08-2011), SandyR (06-09-2011), tgal (06-08-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

ritz, may i first say, be careful.
    i do not want to discourage you, i do not want to belittle you.
    but you are young and impressionable.
    many of us have tried different things, i will share some of mine with you.

please read carefully and evaluate fully before trying anyones ideas, even mine.
    do not trust someone to the point you disregard doctors advice.

i supplement my medicine, with some natural items.
    i talk to my doctor before i try any of these.

i am currently using:
    folic acid
    fish oil
    magnesium
    vitamin c

i have also removed certain foods from my diet:
    i eat sweet potatoe, instead of the white ones
    i eat light rye wraps instead of normal bread.
    i eat a lot more veges, even the horrible green ones.
    i have removed lollies and chips.
    i have replaced sugar with stevia.
    i have removed soda and soft drinks.
    i have increased nuts and grains.
    i have increased fruits (whole not canned)

hopefully these ideas help. please remember talk to your doctor before trying anyones ideas.

this is a life style change, not a fad diet.
    i am now healthier for this change.
    my weight is slowely reducing.
    only slowerly as my body readjusts to the new me.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-09-2011), tgal (06-08-2011)