Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to Plaquenil?

Thanks

Default Allergic to Plaquenil?

I think I may be allergic to Plaquenil. I started taking the generic, Hydroxychloroquine, on June 17. Today is July 5. This past week I noticed some texture to the skin on my back. It felt slightly bumpy and definitely itchy. I noticed myself scratching my neck, face, back and arms like someone getting attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes! Although I couldn't see the bumps they were definitely there! I haven't so much as changed sunscreens. The only variation I've had in the past few weeks has been the addition of the Plaquenil. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does Plaquenil make you more sensitive to the sun? Will using the brand make a difference? Are there any alternative medications?

Also--Ive been reading the forum, feeling somewhat like a voyeur while doing so. On that entire seizure thread, thank you for the wealth of information posted. I have a seizure disorder as well. What exactly do seizures have to do with Lupus?
    Thank you all again for your input. I hope you had a Happy 4th
    Aloha

Thanks

Hello Dawn,

I'm back on plaquenil now but was on it for 12wks and it was cutting my breath short and the only thing i was missing was an heart attack... i pulled off it slowly and Linda on the site said take it at night because your sleeping the affects off through the night.

Plaquenil is surposed to be good for the skin as i'm banned from sun and heat and it helps me a great deal, i'll check it out for you about your rash and get back to you on it.

Refering the seizure thread...you can get seizure just happen normally but i was diagnosed 3yrs ago with what i have but for years i've had ailments of all sorts beside two forms of seizure's which started at 18 and i'm now 42, when i saw my rheumo i was told i was born with Lupus and lupus had caused my seizure's, strokes, spondalitis etc and i never new one bit.

Lupus can cause seizure's to happen and if some doctor's don't do furthur bloods to look, anyone could think they've just started naturally.

Love Terry xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 07-05-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Thanks

LUPUS AND SEIZURES

Nervous System
    Introduction

Although nervous system involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is unclear and controversial, people with lupus do often experience signs associated with the body's nervous system, such as:

headaches
    confusion
    difficulty with concentration
    fatigue
    occasional seizures or strokes
    Therefore, this brochure will:

briefly discuss the nervous system and how it may be affected by lupus
    categorize the many signs and symptoms associated with nervous system involvement
    review the diagnostic work-up
    discuss disease management.
    The Body's Nervous System
    The nervous system is divided into three parts:

The central nervous system (CNS) consists of the brain and spinal cord.
    The peripheral nervous system is comprised of nerve fibers that supply the skin and muscles with the power needed for sensation and movement.
    The autonomic nervous system helps to regulate spinal nerves and peripheral nerves, and innervates, or supplies nerves to, the internal organs. Its role in SLE is poorly defined.
    How Does Lupus Affect The Nervous System?
    The nervous system requires an uninterrupted flow of blood to supply its tissues with oxygen and nutrients necessary for normal functioning. A number of possibilities have been suggested to explain how lupus may cause the many symptoms of nervous system involvement:

Nerve tissue may be damaged when antibodies attack nerve cells or blood vessels.
    Nutrients and oxygen are delivered through blood vessels that feed the brain, spinal cord and nerves. If blood flow is slowed or interrupted, the cells of the nervous system are injured, unable to function normally, and symptoms develop.
    The symptoms that occur vary depending on the location and extent of the tissue injury.
    Signs And Symptoms of Central Nervous System Lupus

Central Nervous System (CNS) Vasculitis

CNS vasculitis is inflammation of the blood vessels of the brain. It is the most serious form of systemic lupus. CNS vasculitis is characterized by:

high fevers
    seizures
    psychosis
    meningitis-like stiffness of the neck.
    It can rapidly progress to stupor and coma if not aggressively managed. Seizures occur when injured or scarred brain tissue becomes the focus of abnormal electrical discharges.

These seizures may be a one-time occurrence or a persistent problem.
    Anti-convulsant medications are used to prevent seizures by controlling the brain's abnormal electrical discharges.
    CNS vasculitis usually requires hospitalization and high doses of corticosteroids.

Infection should be ruled out before treatment is initiated.
    CNS vasculitis occurs in up to 10 percent of all lupus patients
    It is the only form of central nervous system disease that is included in the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria for defining SLE.

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...mplates/?z=6&a
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 07-05-2011 at 04:26 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

dawn patrol (07-05-2011)

Thanks

PLAQUENIL AND SIDE AFFECTS

Plaquenil Side Effects

The active ingredient in Plaquenil sulfate, hydroxychloroquine, is used to treat malaria but has emerged as a treatment for various rheumatic diseases including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Plaquenil is not a pain reliever but works to reduce inflammation. When effective, Plaquenil can decrease the damage to joint tissues.

Arthritis Strategy Pack

Formula Highlights Ingredients Dosage

FAQs Guarantee Order Now

Arthritin, a safe and effective arthritis treatment, works to rehabilitate cartilage, relieve pain and strengthen the immune system - all without potentially harmful side effects commonly associated with arthritis medications. If you are looking for a natural alternative to Plaquenil, Medrol, Lodine or any other joint pain reliever, consider Arthritin.

Plaquenil can cause a variety of eye and vision side effects including involuntary eyeball movement, light flashes, retinopathy, foggy vision, halos around lights, eye muscle paralysis and light intolerances. While taking Plaquenil, your doctor should request a routine eye examination every 6 to 12 months to ensure that eye sight has not been damaged.

People seeking inflammation relief should carefully evaluate Plaquenil sulfate information and side effects before deciding to take Plaquenil. It is important to note that Plaquenil sulfate treats the inflammation of arthritis but does not address the cause of arthritis or work to improve the physical condition.

Plaquenil sulfate Side Effects:
    Retinopathy.
    Irritability.
    Insomnia.
    Headache.
    Tinnitus.
    Hearing loss.
    Hair loss.
    Muscular weakness.
    Diarrhea.
    Bloating.
    Nausea.
    Heart palpitations.
    Abdominal cramps.
    Abnormal eye pigmentation.
    Acne.
    Anemia.
    Difficulty focusing the eyes.
    Eye muscle paralysis.
    "Foggy" vision.
    Halos around lights.
    Sensitivity to sun.

If you experience an allergic reaction to Plaquenil sulfate, immediately call your health care provider or 911. Convulsions, lethargy, headache, heart problems or failure, inability to breathe and vision problems indicate an allergic reaction to Plaquenil sulfate.

Children are especially sensitive to Plaquenil. Relatively small doses of Plaquenil can cause lethal overdoses. Plaquenil should be stored in a child-proof container and out of reach of children.

Contact your health care provider immediately if you experience any changes in eye sight, weakness, vertigo, headaches, ringing in the ears or hearing loss. As a note, vision problems can progress even after discontinuing Plaquenil.

Plaquenil sulfate can cause serious side effects. Only you can decide if Plaquenil sulfate is the best means of treating your arthritis pain. It is important for people currently taking Plaquenil sulfate to discuss side effects concerns with their physician. Ideally, the attending physician is aware of the potential health risks associated with Plaquenil sulfate and will advise using other alternatives to minimize the risk of heart disease, liver and kidney problems and other side effects of Plaquenil sulfate.

Arthritin is a drug-free, healthy and effective arthritis treatment scientifically formulated to strengthen and build essential cartilage, reduce pain and promote healing. The anti-inflammatory, analgesic and diuretic ingredients within Arthritin create a highly effective and powerful formula that offers relief without harmful side effects common in prescription drug medications.

www.arthritis-pain-cure.com/plaquenil.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

dawn patrol (07-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dawn patrol View Post
    I think I may be allergic to Plaquenil. I started taking the generic, Hydroxychloroquine, on June 17. Today is July 5. This past week I noticed some texture to the skin on my back. It felt slightly bumpy and definitely itchy. I noticed myself scratching my neck, face, back and arms like someone getting attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes! Although I couldn't see the bumps they were definitely there! I haven't so much as changed sunscreens. The only variation I've had in the past few weeks has been the addition of the Plaquenil. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does Plaquenil make you more sensitive to the sun? Will using the brand make a difference? Are there any alternative medications?

Also--Ive been reading the forum, feeling somewhat like a voyeur while doing so. On that entire seizure thread, thank you for the wealth of information posted. I have a seizure disorder as well. What exactly do seizures have to do with Lupus?
    Thank you all again for your input. I hope you had a Happy 4th
    Aloha
    Dawn,

I've added about plaquenil and also seizure's but i would advise seeing either your GP or Rheumo if it persists just incase you do have an allergy, as not all meds suite everyone but it's great on my skin.

Terry xxx

Thanks

Hi Dawn sorry you are having trouble. I am fortunate to be able to take plaquinil with no side effects. Has your back skin been exposed to the sun at all, even with sunscreen. The reason I ask is because as the years go by, I am becoming more intolerant to sun, even with sunscreen. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

yes plaquenil can cause sun sensitivity.

regardless of why, if you are having problems, talk to your doctor.
    it may be side effects, it may be something else.
    i get heat rashes that sound very similar to your complaint.

also changing brands can make a difference on some drugs.
    it is not supposed to, but it does.
    the composition is supposed to be identicle.
    but i always talk to my pcp before using generics. some he likes others he doesnt.
    it has a lot to do with quality control, and degree of effectiveness.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hi Dawn,

Plaquenil does make you even more sensitive to the sun so that could be one of the issues. I would still check with your doctor and see if he/she would allow you to use some benydryl and see if it goes away. Often times an allergic skin reaction can be controlled with benydrily. If, after you use the benydril, the rash is still there then the best guess is that it may be the plaquenil.

As for the seizures, I too have them. My seizures started after my Lupus began. It is often hard to get the doctors to admit that the seizures come from the lupus. For quite a while I was told that my seizures had nothing to do with my Lupus. Often times seizures from Lupus are different from seizures from Epilepsy. If you are having seizures from Lupus that means that there is CNS (Central Nervous System) involvement so you much make sure to follow all doctors advice and take all the meds as prescribed to keep the Lupus under control.

Thanks

Terry, Plaquenil was cutting your breath short!? Yikes. I'm glad you are doing better on it now. That sounds horrid.

Sun intolerance with age...food for thought, Loved. My back probably has more sun exposure than the rest of this forum put together :/ I prefer to dawn patrol (sunrise surf session) but lately have been going out mid morning. Im out there during peak sun hours. I wonder, lately I've also been feeling disconnected and unfocused. Is Plaquenil the culprit? Or part of some epileptic activity? I suppose I ought to talk to my rheumatologist and neurologist.

I have a rare seizure disorder called bilateral periventricular heterotopia. In the right frontal lobe there are nodules of gray brain matter where there should be white matter. Sometimes this creates the electrical activity to go haywire and I black out. A couple of months ago my neuro determined that the seizures were out of control and tripled one of my seizure meds-- I also got my 4th speeding ticket. lol. I love driving, love life. My neuro is deeply concerned. Good thing I didn't mention the skydiving...

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dawn patrol View Post
    Terry, Plaquenil was cutting your breath short!? Yikes. I'm glad you are doing better on it now. That sounds horrid.

Sun intolerance with age...food for thought, Loved. My back probably has more sun exposure than the rest of this forum put together :/ I prefer to dawn patrol (sunrise surf session) but lately have been going out mid morning. Im out there during peak sun hours. I wonder, lately I've also been feeling disconnected and unfocused. Is Plaquenil the culprit? Or part of some epileptic activity? I suppose I ought to talk to my rheumatologist and neurologist.

I have a rare seizure disorder called bilateral periventricular heterotopia. In the right frontal lobe there are nodules of gray brain matter where there should be white matter. Sometimes this creates the electrical activity to go haywire and I black out. A couple of months ago my neuro determined that the seizures were out of control and tripled one of my seizure meds-- I also got my 4th speeding ticket. lol. I love driving, love life. My neuro is deeply concerned. Good thing I didn't mention the skydiving...
    You are aware that the majority of Lupus patients are very photosensitive. UV rays, whether from the sun or florescent lighting, can send us into a flare. Flares can give us rashes as well as cause internal damage. Sunlight can also intensify brain fog or, in more severe cases, alter your cognative function. I can't get in the sun at all now. I have to purchase clothes with UV protection. You may want to spend less time in the sun or, at the very least, cover up some more

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

dawn patrol (07-05-2011), lovedbyHim (07-05-2011)