Thread: Can the Butterfly rash be a skin discolour too?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Can the Butterfly rash be a skin discolour too?

Hey Guys,

I went boating on the weekend and My friend sent me a picture of me and My cheeks or i guess bones area is a complete different color then my face color. Could this be like the butterfly rash or what not?

Is that possibe?
    Bare with me! Not my greatest picture!
    photo.jpg

AmandaPanda
    "We're all in the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell, just different devils.

Thanks

Hello Mate,

The pic's are'nt showing to great but are your cheeks a burning red and in a butterlfy shape and does it go over the bridge of your knows which it can do and when i had it, it's left me with a brown pigment discolouration.

Here's a pic to help you to see if it's the Butterfly rash.

Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 07-04-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

Hi panda, my butterfly rash. Is not a rash it is an intense red that raises sometimes. It goes over the bridge of my nose and is white under my nose. Sometimes my chin gets red too. I hope this helps. I get a picking/tingling feeling in the skin when it is turning red.

Thanks

No, its more of a discoloration to white and there is no redness or bumbs. Just a different color...................... sigh

AmandaPanda
    "We're all in the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell, just different devils.

Thanks

Panda there is an AI disease called vitalego. You gradually lose the pigment in your skin. My two brothers have it and so did Michael Jackson (so they say). I don't know as I am not a doctor but from experience. There are so many skin disorders period. My son had pitterious alba which lightened his olive skin a bit on cheeks and arms. Can you get to a dermotologist?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

panda_lupo (07-06-2011), Peridot20_Gem (07-05-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many of us do not get the classic "Butterfly Rash", what you describe, as LovedbyHim mentioned, can be Vitiligo. But know that vitiligo is also an auto-immune disorder and many who have Lupus also suffer from Vitilgo. Lupus does not cause it, but it can be an overlapping disorder with Lupus.
    Please try to avoid too much sun exposure and make sure that you protect yourself thoroughly if/when you have to be in the sun (sunscreen, Hats, loose fitting clothing that covers your body, etc.)

I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-05-2011), Peridot20_Gem (07-05-2011), steve.b (07-05-2011)

Thanks

Hi Panda,

Tammy is correct that's what you may be suffering with VITILIGO and i'll add some pic's for you to judge against besides some info on it but if you have it you do need a Dermo to check you. xxx

VITILIGO

The main symptom of vitiligo is flat, white spots or patches on your skin. The first white patch usually develops where the skin has been exposed to the sun.

Initially, the vitiligo may start as a patch of skin that is paler than the rest of your skin. Gradually the patch will become completely white. Sometimes the centre of a patch may be white with pale skin around it. In areas where there are blood vessels under the skin, the patch may be slightly pink rather than white.

The edges of the patch may be smooth or irregular. Sometimes the edges are inflamed (red) or there is hyperpigmentation (brownish discolouration of the skin).

Vitiligo does not cause physical discomfort to your skin, such as dryness, but patches may occasionally be itchy.

If you have vitiligo, you may get a rash after you have been in the sun (photosensitivity).

Areas commonly affected by vitiligo
    The areas most commonly affected by vitiligo include:

•the skin around your mouth and eyes
    •fingers and wrists
    •armpits
    •groin
    •genitals
    •inside your mouth
    Sometimes vitiligo can develop where there are hair roots, such as on your scalp or eyelids. The lack of melanin in your skin can turn the hair in the affected area white or grey, causing white hair or white eyelashes.

Types of vitiligo
    There are two main types of vitiligo:

•non-segmental vitiligo
    •segmental vitiligo
    In rare cases, it is possible for vitiligo to affect your whole body. This is known as universal or complete vitiligo.

Non-segmental vitiligo
    In non-segmental vitiligo (also called bilateral or generalised vitiligo), the symptoms of vitiligo often appear on both sides of your body as symmetrical white patches. Symmetrical patches can appear on areas such as the:

•backs of your hands
    •arms
    •eyes
    •knees
    •elbows
    •feet
    Non-segmental vitiligo is the most common type of vitiligo, affecting up to 9 out of 10 people with the condition.

Segmental vitiligo
    Sometimes the white patches may only affect one area of your body. This is known as segmental vitiligo, or unilateral or localised vitiligo.

Segmental vitiligo is less common than non-segmental vitiligo, although it is more common in children. Segmental vitiligo usually starts earlier and affects 3 in 10 children who have vitiligo.

How the symptoms of vitiligo develop
    If you have vitiligo, it is difficult to predict whether your condition will spread from the original patch or how fast it may spread. It is likely that more white patches will appear. For some people this can happen quickly. For others, the patches may stay the same for months or years.

If the white patches appear symmetrically on more than one part of your body, the condition may progress quite slowly, with periods when the patches do not change. If you have white patches on only one area of your body, the condition may progress more rapidly.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Vitilig.../Symptoms.aspx

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-05-2011), panda_lupo (07-06-2011)