Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taper Troubles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiessave View Post
    Oh Terry, you've helped me dozens of times without even knowing it. The wealth of knowledge you've stuck in so many threads has practically made this site a one-stop shopping experience for all our lupus needs. We're so lucky to have you.
    Thanks mate,

That's what we're all here for to help one another the best way possible but as you know already i won't touch the steriods mate and the plaquenil seems to suite me better now taking it at night.
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 07-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

I really cant remember and am very tired right now so Im sorry I am not very helpful. But this was a thread I had going at the time so I hope that maybe it has something about that in there http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...today-(/page11
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Tammy, you make remarkable sense for someone who's had the day you've had. My local hospital has a free blood work day next week, so I'm going to have them check for everything. Thanks for the pancreatic heads up. I hope your innards quit jacking with you. Stupid innards!

Mari, how long have you been on the pred? And how long were you on it before Cushing's came? And do you have a beard too, lol? Mine's more of a goatee, actually.

Ritz, do you remember how long it took you to get over the negative side effects of coming down off the pred? Right now I can't imagine my life without it, but I'd love to get there someday.
    I have been on steroids for about 2 years. I was started off at 5 and upped to 10 soon after. Cushing's began not long after that. It became really bad when I was upped to 20 and just recently I have been on as high as 60 (as well as 6 of the shots in 3 months and you shouldn't have more then 1 in 6 months but I was flaring badly). Now I must say that yes, I have to shave or I would have a lovely beard too! LOL Actually a goatee as well (just along my chin and jowls). I have been dropped back down to 40 along with methotrexate but I am not seeing it dropping much in my near future because even at 40 I am having tons of flare issues.

Hope you do better then I have!

Thanks

Hello Sharpie,

Hows the advice gone with the member's??...and are you slowly getting there with the prednisone keep we updated please mate. xxx

Thanks

Hey Terry, thanks for checking on me. I hope you guys all know that even when I'm quiet I'm still thinking about all of you, hoping you're doing ok.

So I talked to my Rheumy's PA yesterday, and she ok'ed me to go back up to magic 25 for the next two weeks, but then I have to start the taper all over again. That's what I was expecting, so I'll make the most of the next two weeks, then complain about the taper later.

In other news, I think the plaquenil might be starting to work! I don't want to get my hopes up yet, because I only started it two months ago, and from what I've been reading it can take a lot longer than that to take effect. But one of my strange rash situations, the one that has lasted through 7 different "treatments", is beginning to clear up. So cross your fingers for me. Maybe the taper won't be so bad once the Plaquenil has kicked in. . .

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey Terry, thanks for checking on me. I hope you guys all know that even when I'm quiet I'm still thinking about all of you, hoping you're doing ok.

So I talked to my Rheumy's PA yesterday, and she ok'ed me to go back up to magic 25 for the next two weeks, but then I have to start the taper all over again. That's what I was expecting, so I'll make the most of the next two weeks, then complain about the taper later.

In other news, I think the plaquenil might be starting to work! I don't want to get my hopes up yet, because I only started it two months ago, and from what I've been reading it can take a lot longer than that to take effect. But one of my strange rash situations, the one that has lasted through 7 different "treatments", is beginning to clear up. So cross your fingers for me. Maybe the taper won't be so bad once the Plaquenil has kicked in. . .
    That sounds like the plaquenil. You can start seeing the results at about 2 months but you don't get the full affects until 3 to 5 months. Plaquenil is wonderful on the rashes! I am so glad you are getting positive results.

I am sorry that you too have a love/hate relationship with steroids. Don't overdo it while on the 25 though. You don't want to make things worse when you start to taper. That doesn't mean not to enjoy yourself. You deserve to go out and have a little fun while feeling better! I will be thinking of you and I will be expecting an update on all the fun you are having

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

plaquenil sneaks into your system.you are not sure what it is doing, until you realise the rash hasnt come back.
    glad it has started to work for you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm having the exact same issue but my magic number is 12.5mg. Been on it for about 2.5 months now and every time I try to drop down to 10mg I start to get pain again. Tho Ive found what appears to be, for me, a lot of relief from this pain if I cut out sugar! I'm adamant to get off the steroids again but I know what cutting down too quickly does and I don't want to end up back in hospital.
    Diagnosed with SLE and Antiphospholipid Syndrom - June 2010

Thanks

Hello Sharpie,

It sounds like your really pleased having it another 2wks before you start the Taper.

Sharpie i was on plaquenil and took it for 12wks and after 5wks i couldn't believe how it cleared my skin it works fast on that one and mari told me it can take up to 6mths before you feel the effect properly...come this thursday i've been on it 5wks it's helped my skin so far but not done a clearing job as yet.lol
    I hope it helps your rash soon as it should be working into you now but i can't wait for it to at least ease my joint's abit.

You takecare mate xxx