Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Flare Ups?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Question about Flare Ups?

Hey there,
    so I keep hearing all about Lupus flares. Anticipating them, theories as to what might cause them, treating them...
    but I've never actually heard or understood how long flares last.
    Do they last a few hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Can a flare last a year before it goes into remission?

I'm completely lost on this, but I've always wondered.

Thanks so much for your time!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

A flare is as individual as the person having them. For some they last only a few days while others can lasts months. Some people will go into a full remission although most have to keep on at least some of their meds always. As you learn the things that cause you to flare and you start being careful of the things that trigger you (IE- Sun exposure) there will most likely be less flares as well as ones that don't last as long.

Hope that helps

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-01-2011), lovedbyHim (07-01-2011)

Thanks

Like Tgal said, a flare is as individual as the person having them. For me, my flares last six to nine months and my major cause is stress. Sun does effect me when I'm in a flare but it doesn't seem to cause one to start. As for treating a flare, drugs and more drugs. It can be frustrating because what worked one month may not work the next. It's a juggling act trying to find the right combination and dose of meds.

I hope this gives you some more insight into flares. Good luck!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadianGal For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-01-2011), lovedbyHim (07-01-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks! That does help.
    Another question though, what defines a flare up? I mean, if you're in "remission" or not flaring, do you feel, for lack of a better word, normal? Or well? Or is it just that Flares are times when you feel *really* bad, or much worse?
    Do you spend more time in a flair or in remission? :/

Sorry about all the questions - i just can't seem to find answers anywhere else.

Thanks

Never need to say sorry for questions. It's the only way to learn about what we have. I've had Lupus for about 15 years but the official diagnosis only came two years ago. I probably would still be in limbo land if I had stopped questioning what the doctors had been telling me.

My remissions only last about a month (if I'm lucky maybe two) then I start into another flare cycle. When in remission, yes I do feel "normal". My flares start slowly and build to "really bad". It usually starts with the butterfly rash, fever, headaches, fatigue, nausea. Then progresses to joint/muscle pain, brain fog, carpal tunnel, mouth ulcers, stomach pain, swelling of my eyelids, scleritis--(very painful and not too pretty). Equally painful--the extreme pain of swelling of the lining around my lungs and heart. Oh yeah, and depression too.

Unfortunately, I spend more time in flares than in remission. Hopefully that will change with the newest round of drug treatment I'm on.

Keeping a diary of what you did each day and how you feel really helps the big picture of your flare cycle. It can also help you to understand what is your trigger for a flare.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianGal For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-02-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

when you are in a flare......
    is anytime that lupus is "more" active.

when you are not in a flare.....
    is when lupus is "less" active.

for different people the amount of more and less will be different.
    for some people, less is full remission.
    for others is is still a very painful time.

likewise the amount of more will be different as well.

also the time of flare and non flare will differ between people, and between cycles for any one person.

it is this inconsistancy with everything, that makes so many doctors question auto immune problems.
    there is no text book symptoms, like doctors want.

i hope i have made myself clear, feel free to send me a visitor, or personal message, if you want to discuss this more.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

ruziska (07-02-2011), tgal (07-02-2011)

Thanks

Gosh Canadian gal, it could have been me writing that! Stress is a main trigger for me, but if I am not careful with covering from UV I will get flulike symptoms. My normal is never like I used to be however. I am always tired now, but I also have fibromyalgia and hoshimotos thyroiditis from the lupus. I truly lost who I was and I sure do miss her(grin).

What helps me most in a flair is sleep and increased steroids. I hope this helps.

Thanks

I have been diagnosed a year now. I am still learning what is and what is not a flare. I have also been waiting for that wonderful thing called REMISSION to appear in my life. At my latest Rheumy appointment I was told that my Lupus was under control, however, I feel even worse now than when I was first diagnosed. I thought I was still in a flare, but apparently I am not. The doctors are finding heaps of other things wrong with me, probably because Lupus has run over me and left me there in a heap.

Though my Lupus is under control, I still have Lupus symptoms. I burn easily in the sun, get joint pain, rashes, fatigue, sleeplessness at times, etc.... Some people do have the great pleasure of having a true remission, but most people here just experience some of their symptoms are less severe. Some people come here for support and when they are in remission they go off into the world and have a wonderful life, Lupus symptom free. And then when they start having a flare, they come back to WHL.

There are a core group of people who stay here on WHL whether their Lupus is active or inactive. Many people are house bound, and at times we are their limited contact with the world out there. Some of these people can be classified as "Vampires" because they can only surface at night time because the sunlight does so much damage to them. Please feel free to research as much as you can, I really hope that you find that you don't have Lupus, this disease is terrible, but we are all wonderful people, and have many stories to share. In this forum you will find that we can be crying one minute, laughing at another, angry the next, then giving cyber hugs. When I say angry, I don't mean with other members, it is mostly about doctors not listening to our complaints.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-02-2011), Gizmo (07-02-2011), lovedbyHim (07-02-2011), steve.b (07-02-2011)

Thanks

Sorry, I should have clarified "normal". I don't feel like I did when I was healthy and 20 years old. But I expect now that I'm 40, even if I was healthy, I wouldn't feel the same as when I was 20. Change is a funny thing--most of us have a difficult time with it but really that's what life is all about. Constant change. I guess we all have a mental picture of ourselves at a time when things were good that we aren't ready to let go of. (myself included, I still have a pair of jeans hanging in my closet from when I was 20--really who am I kidding--I will never fit into them again, but yet there they hang.)

Even in remission when I'm feeling "normal" I still have fatigue but I guess the "gift" of having Lupus has made me realize I can no longer compare myself today to the way I used to be. And I have to say, LovedbyHim, that even though you may grieve for the old you you lost, I've read lots of your posts and I think your you today is pretty terrific!

Thanks

Thanks CanadianGal! I think you will find that I get just a little too silly when I am very sick. Laughter is such good medicine for all of us her suffer so hard and long.