Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Introducing Myself

Blog Entries
    Thanks

To be honest, I never realized that there was actually much medication out there besides steroids, which I was told should only be used in small doses, before the meds outweigh the benefits. I was also told the medicine would be too expensive and possibly harsh for me, but since getting on here and looking around, I'm definitely leaning more towards seeing a rheumatologist. I'm not opposed to asking for help - in fact, each time I got orders from my doctor for tests, I called every hospital I could to see who had the best rate for those without insurance. I've pondered looking into getting medicare/medicaid, but to be honest I don't know much about them, and i'm not sure if I would have to be diagnosed first to apply or not, or what would happen there.

I am going to see my doctor for a checkup sometime in the next month or two (haven't set up an appointment yet, not sure if I want it sooner or later, but need to go back before too long), and at that point i'll definitely discuss everything with her.

I know I could ask about her referring me to a rheumatologist, and call around to get an idea of rates and see if I can plan towards that - but I'm also unsure of what the cost of medications would be and if I would be able to afford them.

I also have some super fun bills coming up soon, like needing new glasses and an eye exam. Even now i'm thinking that I'm going to plan towards seeing a rheumy, even if it's not until the end of the year, instead of my original plan, which was in two years.

Sheesh, being on here has been so helpful already - not just how nice it is talking to everyone, but i'm learning so much my doctor never even mentioned!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    To be honest, I never realized that there was actually much medication out there besides steroids, which I was told should only be used in small doses, before the meds outweigh the benefits. I was also told the medicine would be too expensive and possibly harsh for me, but since getting on here and looking around, I'm definitely leaning more towards seeing a rheumatologist. I'm not opposed to asking for help - in fact, each time I got orders from my doctor for tests, I called every hospital I could to see who had the best rate for those without insurance. I've pondered looking into getting medicare/medicaid, but to be honest I don't know much about them, and i'm not sure if I would have to be diagnosed first to apply or not, or what would happen there.

I am going to see my doctor for a checkup sometime in the next month or two (haven't set up an appointment yet, not sure if I want it sooner or later, but need to go back before too long), and at that point i'll definitely discuss everything with her.

I know I could ask about her referring me to a rheumatologist, and call around to get an idea of rates and see if I can plan towards that - but I'm also unsure of what the cost of medications would be and if I would be able to afford them.

I also have some super fun bills coming up soon, like needing new glasses and an eye exam. Even now i'm thinking that I'm going to plan towards seeing a rheumy, even if it's not until the end of the year, instead of my original plan, which was in two years.

Sheesh, being on here has been so helpful already - not just how nice it is talking to everyone, but i'm learning so much my doctor never even mentioned!
    The good news is that the majority of meds are available in generics. I have no insurance and live on very little (you really don't want to know how little) and I can afford them. I am actually on 8 meds at the moment and my most expensive is about 40 dollars and the majority are 10. Hope that helps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    Thanks so much for listening and taking my symptoms into consideration When I was sick and still had no idea what the problem was, my mother suggested I look up autoimmune diseases, since everything else I looked up just wasn't making any sense or fitting. The first AI disease I stumbled across was lupus, and I immediately thought "Wow. That's me, without the skin issues!". It's been a few months since then, and I'm still feeling like that's what it is- or at least it's a huge possibility. I know it could also be MCTD, or something else, but Lupus is definitely something that I resonate with having.
    I, too was (and am) battling with depression when I got sick. I hated not being able to do anything, not being able to go anywhere. The highlight of my week was going to the grocery store (even though sometimes i'd find myself standing in the middle of the isle, eyes glazed over, feeling dizzy and confused and like I was going to tip over at any second). And if I didn't go outside on a short walk at least every other day, I'd get stircrazy and pissed because I felt trapped. Thankfully, the antidepressants I'm on have definitely helped with that, and even though I still feel like an invalid sometimes, i'm doing better. I'm glad I'm on them, because I know i'm still in shock from my doctors (minimal) diagnosis, and if I didn't have them, I have a feeling i'd be drowning.

Dealing with manic depression is really hard, and I can't imagine how hard when you have so many more reasons to be depressed and upset than a lot of people. But from what i've seen in the forums, you have a great family, so I hope they help you with that

Manderson- indeed we will! (:
    Hi Elo,

Your mom did right suggesting Autoimmune diseases and that helped you looking up the Lupus and i still say there's a strong possiblity that your linked, there's to many symptoms not to be.
    Refering depression i've had it for years besides seizures, strokes, DVT, born with a disfigured back through spondalitis and so much more and then having the rheumo telling me i was born with it and everything i've gone through Lupus caused besides the manic depression and within the last 2yrs it's like it's having a field day with my body.
    How your on depression tablets i've took a right cocktail since i was 18 and nothing helped so now it's fight with me when it arrives and it's here more now than it leaves me i used to get a break but not so much now and my lovely hubby found WHL for me and it's the best site i've found and in my eyes we are all miles apart yet they have been through so much with me and the loyalty is beyound belief, i was welcomed straight away by Rob, tgal, and many more and never looked back as they are my 2nd family and you being so ill like you are..it's an excellent way of total support while going through the process of finding what's wrong.

We all suffer that lost situation of foggyness and have'nt got a clue what we intended to do, refering you with your shopping.
    Well how your feeling trapped i'm stuck in the home more or less 24/7 and my hubby as took quite abit on besides, my dermo as stopped me going out if it's cold with my raynauds and when it's hot no shade anymore as i do have a bad flare...so your circumstances your living in i truely understand what your feeling and going through besides a large majority of us.

Love Terry xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 07-04-2011 at 06:27 AM.