Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: update on my progress

Thanks

Desensitization to pain

Link explaining what it is...http://www.thomasmigraineprogram.com...itization.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giggle View Post
    Hmm... maybe its a good time to ask... does anyone else here suffer from what appears to be desensitizing to pain? I've been dealing with the symptoms of raynauds for years and never once thought to tell a doc, it wasn't until it seriously appeared that blood was coming right out of my skin that I decided it would be a good idea.

My desensitizing is so bad... that I was in labour and dilated 8cm and didn't even know that those weird feelings in my abdomen were contractions. They didn't hurt the way people had reported. I had a 40cm+ tumour blocking my bubs way out... both me and my baby would have died... if a little bit of blood hadn't appeared that made me concerned!!! So I went to my GP. The contractions had started near a week before I made it to hospital! By then the docs were raging mad with me, telling me I have put my life and my babies life at risk. But I didnt know!!

Apparently having blood clots in your heart and lungs is extremely painful as well. Yet I barely felt a thing.
    And although I have joint pain in every joint in my body, I dont take pain meds. Its more the stiffness that gets me down. Im not saying the pain isn't significant... I just... dont care? Or dont register?
    Its strange... I know there is pain. I feel it. But I ignore it. What ever reason I do, it scares me. Because one day I could ignore the signs of something serious and end up dead for it.

I've used separated shoulders to lift 15kg boxes, walked on broken feet, i currently have an injured achiles I have no intention of doing anything about... : /

Anyone have any ideas or am I just a whack job?
    I remember learning in nursing school about people who don't feel pain normally, and how dangerous it can be. Here is a story about a toddler with that condition:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4195437.stm

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

OMG This is me!!!! When I was in labor I never hurt until the head started coming out. When I had a hysterectomy I never took pain meds after I left the hospital (24 hours after surgery). 6 weeks after I went to the doctor and he pushed on something and said "did that hurt". I said "no" and his response was "it should have". He actually gave me a lecture about making sure that if I went to a doctor or an ER I explained to them about my high tolerance for pain. If they didn't understand that when I said it was a 3 it was really a 9 they could miss something.

I too walked on a broken ankle and by the time I went to the hospital and had xrays I found out that I had to have surgery and have a pins put in it. For me I believe it goes back to childhood and you summed it up perfectly... I just ignore it. That is how I knew something bad was going on because I could FEEL pain. Great topic!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

LOL I guess it is just high pain tolerance. I feel like such an idiot I didnt put two and two together. Thanks again Mari : D

I will have to remember that next time, as I am very uncomfortable with describing my pain. I have had SOOO many doctors angry with me for not 'taking my condition seriously' or not taking care of myself. It just slips my mind.

Thanks

Giggle,

I wished i'd got it mate..which in one way is good to have concerning pain especially with Lupus and how it can really make you ache at times.

Thanks

Its not that I dont feel pain... I just more or less dont care about it in most situations. Hard to explain but I think Mari knows : ) I do think it would be beneficial, compared to really really feeling poorly for the pain. I know I can be pretty insensitive to my partner when he is in pain lol but he is a big baby and gets the grumpies when ever he is in pain.
    Ironically though... because I 'dont care' about the pain, I push myself too hard and end up worn out and in extra pain and end up getting a bit snappy myself.

Strangely though, my skin is extra sensitive in some spots, like I am severely bruised. My upper arms and thighs. If my boyfriend rubs my arm briskly, it is terribly painful to me. Weird huh, its like the only pain I ever react to.

Thanks

It's like your heads got a control of ignoring it even though pains there but be careful pushing yourself mate because it can take you extremly low and then there's the fatigue to cope with afterwards.

When you say your boyfriends rubs your arms and you feel the affect then, that's a sign your heads wakening to irritability which you don't want if your feeling carm.

Thanks

So far (with whatever it is I may or may not have), the pains have been annoying and I've got a pretty high tolerance for "annoying." Normally, I don't have a high pain threshold.

Thanks

Hi Manderson,

For member's or people besides who have Lupus and also yourself in pain yet still trying to find out...i think everyone can stand pain to a certain degree but how Lupus really hits you it takes some mastering and refering to giggle god i wished i had what she's got.

Thanks

Giggles,
    I have a high pain tolerance, too. I think that's why the docs tend to ignore me a lot. I hobble in on my cane, but I'm smiling and not complaining of the pain, so they don't think that they need to treat anything. It really works against us, doesn't it?
    LOL - having babies was super easy for me. When Kayla (fourth baby) was born, I served a big spaghetti dinner to my family and my best friend's family and called the midwife to invite her to dinner. It was a good thing that she hurried over. I got up from the table to go to the restroom, the water broke, I barely got to the bedroom and Kayla almost arrived before Sharon could scrub up! I then nursed the newborn, nursed my still-nursing toddler, took a shower and then finally finished my warmed-up dinner.
    Meghan was just as easy, and I shocked people by taking her to the mall for professional pictures when she was 18 hours old.
    The pain that I deal with now is just always there, so I'm like you - I've learned to ignore it.
    Hugs,
    Marla