Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You probably get this a lot...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

if your doc is doing the right thing, then good.
    ask for a copy of your test results.
    keep them for further reference.

there is 63 auto immune disorders.
    a lot of the symptoms overlap.
    so the doctor is probably trying to rule in or out lots of things.
    asthma medication will not hurt you if it is not needed. so using it is at least starting something.

i would mention some of your past to your doctor. it will make his diagnosis easier. and he will appreciate the honesty.
    you have told us, and dont really know who we are. so telling him should be an option.

please stand up for yourself.

Thanks

I can understand that you would feel weird being here but since there is so many red flags for it, you might as well just hang here and be loved on until you know for sure. Steve says there are 63 autoammune diseases. Wait and see and try to learn all you can while here. I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable having your caseworkers go with you. I would want to advocate for you if you were here(smile).

Once hugs hear from your doc, if you feel you want a rheumatology appt. Ask and see how it goes. If you want statewide advocacy, I can help okay? You decide the direction you want to take. I'm here and promise not to steer the ship, but its like holding back wild horses for me. Lol I advocate for lots of folks plus my boy. Can you tell? Tehehe.

Thanks

LovedbyHim is an incredible woman and I highly value her opinion - especially since she is an expert in the mental health field as a professional and a mom. However, I really understand your reluctance to take along a case worker if the doc isn't making this about your mental health. I actually think that is rather profound. I can see your concerns about bringing an advocate along and I would be thinking the same thing if I were in your shoes.

Did you tell the doc about the anemia and the high creatinine? How about the family history of RA and Hashimoto's. Your doctor is taking you seriously, so make sure you are giving him all the information he needs.

It sounds like you are taking tough classes and are highly motivated. I have found, with my daughter, emphasizing her goals and the difficulty of her coursework - and how she couldn't make it through the school day now - brought doctors over to her side. They could relate because they were generally overachievers in school and didn't want her to waste her abilities. If I were in your shoes, I would make sure the doctor sees you as a highly intelligent, motivated young woman who has managed her bi-polarness well, but is getting kicked in the butt by this unknown illness. As you said, maybe it's AI, maybe not. Severe anemia can cause profound fatigue. That should show up on the labs he did. Please keep in touch to let us know what happens.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-29-2011), steve.b (06-29-2011)

Thanks

I've been using the inhaler every 4 hours or so like it says. I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm limited to 5 prescriptions a month because I'm on TennCare (my states medicaid), but inhalers are on the exemption list so it doesn't count as one of my 5 and there's no copay, so there's no harm in trying it.
    Maybe when I see him next week, I'll at least ask for an ANA test to see if I have Hashimoto's or just regular hypothyroidism. I couldn't straight out ask him to check me for lupus - I would hate to be wrong and look like an idiot, haha.
    The main reason I dont want one of my caseworkers to go with me is I think my doc with think less of me for it. He might be insulted even. The doc is a good guy and I think he would listen to me if I could feel comfortable telling him things. I just...don't....not to anyone, to be honest. I didn't even tell my family about these issues till I went with my mother to visit my older brother and his newborn son. I slept long hours, she had trouble waking me...I slept in the car, no matter how short the ride...and she would wake me up and I'd fall back asleep within 15 seconds or less, over and over and over, no matter how hard I tried to wake up or how many times she called my name or shook me. She gave me a stern talking-to about telling my doctor about the issues I've been having. Lol.
    As far as seeing a rheumatologist, that would be a little more tricky. Not many docs around here take crappy TennCare - and if they do, they have a waiting list months long.

I mentioned the high creatinine once in passing on my first appointment with him. I doubt he remembers. I was only using it to emphasize how bad the nurse practitioner I had been seeing was - she ignored test results. I also mentioned the anemia in the first meeting, I think. I don't think I'm anemic right now, however. I had some bloodwork done not long ago and I was okay. I never told him about my family history. But I will try to do so and I'll emphasize my concerns about school. I really don't know how I'm going to do it this fall - my classes are even harder. I have a pharmacology class and a class called Experimental Research & Design - it's essentially a mini-thesis, preparing us for our thesis that comes after.
    Last edited by Catecholamine; 06-29-2011 at 06:20 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Catecholamine For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-29-2011)

Thanks

Hi Catecholamine,

I've missed your thread and that's unusal for me but a lovely warm welcome to WHL and i hope your enjoying the site already as we're a smashing bunch of people and will help in best ways possible.

I have hypothyroidism and Bipolar like yourself..they're controlled the best they can be.

Your care workers can get you in quickly to see a rheumo, as i used to have care workers and people from a mental health team involved with me years ago and if you need help they'll soon sort it.

It's will be nice getting to know you Terry xxx

Thanks

Thanks everyone.
    Well, I can now say for sure it isn't asthma! Not to mention that I've never had issues with shortness of breath or wheezing. I've been using the inhaler every 4 hours like it says and if it wasn't for the taste, I would think there was nothing in the inhaler for all it does. Doc said it would make me jittery....it doesn't even do that. It does nothing whatsoever. I knew from the beginning it wasn't asthma but it's still kinda a letdown. At least I'm supposed to see him again next week and not 30 days from now.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Catecholamine,

I just wanted to reassure you that having Lupus never has been, nor will it ever be a membership requirement here. In fact, a good portion of our efforts here are aimed at helping those who do not yet have a diagnosis, but suspect that they may have Lupus. You are more than welcome to post and participate here whenever you like.

One bit of advice I'll give after reading your posts, is that I think you should be specific with your Dr., and ask to have an ANA test because you honestly believe that Lupus may be causing these symptoms you've been enduring. If your suspicion turns out to be wrong, it does not make you look like an idiot. It makes you look like an informed patient who is eliminating various possibilities in order to get to the real root of the problem. Don't be afraid to be assertive when it comes to matters involving your health.

Anyway, I also wanted to say welcome to our group. Make yourself at home!

Rob

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (06-30-2011), lovedbyHim (07-01-2011), Peridot20_Gem (06-30-2011), steve.b (06-30-2011)

Thanks

I've been on inhaler's for years and just been tested for 2 lungs diseases but failed the tests through my lung capacity being to low so they've got me on another steriod inhaler...if you have no shortness of breath or any issues with your breathing you should'nt be taking them and i don't want to frighten you but my nurse told me if you ever get the shakes then your taking to much in a day and it's like a form of over dosing but where your doctor got jittery from i'll never know and i'm no doctor myself but that's a first on me.

I would address your doctor about it because if your ok you should'nt be taking them really.

((Hugs Terry)) xxx

Thanks

I looked it up online and it looks like the jittery feeling does happen sometimes with normal use. But I don't get it so it doesn't really matter I guess.
    I'm frustrated right now because, shortly after waking, I started having the chest pain again. Breathing hurts pretty bad. It doesn't hurt quite as bad if I breathe shallowly. I'm pretty sure asthma can't cause chest pain, but I used the inhaler anyway. And, of course, it didn't do anything. I hadn't had this happen in almost a month... I was hoping it had gone away permanently, but obviously that was just wishful thinking.
    I'd be frustrated to tears if it wasn't for the fact that I don't cry.

Thanks

Maybe you should call your doctor and leave a message that you are using the inhaler and that it isn't helping at all with the chest pain. You should also let him know that it hurts more to take a deep breath. Has he seen you when you are having the pain? Maybe you could get an appointment today and talk to him in person?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (07-01-2011), steve.b (07-01-2011)