So recently found out that I'm pregnant, I've been freaking out, and have been wayy to stressed. I need advice, not like with the baby stuff (though that would be nice too) but dealing with Lupus AND having a baby.
Congratulations! First, calm down!
We've had a few ladies here who have had babies fairly recently. Have your rheumy and OB talk and decide which meds that you can safely take while pregnant. I'm not sure, but I think that several of the others have continued to take Plaquenil.
I had all five of mine long before I had any AI issues, and I was a midwife's assistant. Here are some general tips. Avoid salt - it can add to problems with edema. Get some bulk raspberry leaf tea from a health food store, and drink lots of tea. My midwife swore by it as a tonic for pregnancy. It's perfectly safe and good for you.
Eat a very, very healthy diet. Drink lots of water and milk, if you aren't lactose intolerant. Also, increase your intake of protein. The baby uses it to grow, form it's brain and other organs.
Exercise as much as you feel like - it's good for both of you. Read and learn as much as you can - I recommend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and almost anything by Dr. Sears.
(My youngest called me - she has an 18 month old - so I had to leave this post for a bit)
Anyway, just enjoy being pregnant. For me, it was when I felt the most healthy and alive. I enjoyed it so much, I did it five times - LOL !!!
Last edited by magistramarla; 06-26-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Reason: Phone call
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:
giggle (06-27-2011), Saysusie (06-28-2011)
First of all, congratulations! Have you seen your rheumy and OB doctor yet? Have you been on lupus meds? Can you tell us more about what your lupus is like - it would be easier to help if we know what your limitations are. Are you looking for ideas for dealing with lupus during your pregnancy or how to manage to care for the baby afterwards?
According to The Lupus Book, by Daniel Wallace, MD "Patients whose lupus is mild or moderately active at the time of conception have a 40 percent chance of having no change in their disease, a 40 percent chance of flaring and a 20 percent chance of improving." He also says that 30 percent of all births to lupus patients are premature - the risk is highest if you have antiphospholipid antibodies. If your doctor hasn't already checked for that, it would be a top priority, according to Dr Wallace. I had pre-term labor with both of my daughters, and ended up on bedrest and in and out of the hospital. My advice, from personal experience, is to really pay attention to your body and don't mess around if you think you are having contractions.
While I can't give any advice about the baby because I was spayed long before I was diagnosed (lol) I did want to welcome you back and say congrats! No stress is allowed. This is gonna be a great thing!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
i am a father of 2.
enjoy the pregnancy-- be happy.
do not stress about what might happen, calmly talk to your rhuemy and ob.
Marla... pregnancy was the same for me! I have never in my life felt so alive and healthy... even though I had active lupus and a giant tumour! Funny huh : ) I may still feel awesome if I hadnt had a huge metabolism crash and ended up enormously fat... losing all that weight had consequences. Now I just always feel sluggish and horrible. But I get the feeling I am a lot sicker than I would have myself believe lol
Sorry for the rant there lol CONGRATULATIONS! It doesnt matter your initial outlook... children bring such a fantastic new branch to your life. : )
Hi Wanna, I can understand your fears as I was sick when I had my babies but want diagnosed at the time. I had some complications, but I must tell you, I had 4 beautiful babies! I was very tired but in truth too happy to care. Three of them were unplanned and a blessing from above. Those were the happiest times of my life.
I have to tell you I am excited to go through this with you! I hope you keep us posted with all the details, like when the baby first moves in your belly! None of my babies were mistakes, only blessings.
Enjoy this beautiful time of your life. Tammy
The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:
After reading everyone else's posts, I realized this was kind of a downer. Like giggle and lovedbyHim, I loved being pregnant. I hadn't been diagnosed with lupus, yet, so I was blissfully happy - despite the bedrest. I would have done it again in a heartbeat if it weren't for the pre-term labor (I couldn't take care of my kids from the bedroom). There is nothing in the world like feeling your baby move inside you, trying to imagine what they will be like when they are born. The book I appreciated the most was What to Expect When You Are Expecting. Having pre-term labor, I loved the chapters on how my baby was developing, week by week. It made it much more real, and motivated me to take care of myself. Have fun! You will always cherish these 9 months, even if you are barfing the first 3 LOL.
Originally Posted by Gizmo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:
lovedbyHim (06-27-2011), Saysusie (06-28-2011)
Advice on this topic is, well, it's above my pay grade! It looks like you've been given some good advice already anyway.
I really just want to say congratulations. Sometimes, we can all go an awfully long time without good news, or something to smile about. This is definitely something to smile about!
Thanks for all of the advice and all of the congrats. I definietly needed to hear someone say that, most of my family has just been crying when I tell them (not tears of joy). My SLE isnt that active. I just found out in Janaury. Mine mostly just bothers my joints. My doctors took me off all meds until further notice. I'm trying to get reffered to an OB but the people at my doctors office cant seem to give me the number when I can get them to answer the phone. I am truly excited and blessed to have this happen, I guess babies never come at a time when its "best" but they come at a time when you need them.