Thread: LUPUS & WEIGHT GAIN

Thanks

Default LUPUS & WEIGHT GAIN

Have any of you experienced major weight gain and not be on Med's at the moment?

I eat about one to two times a day and not huge portions. Yet, I have gained so much weight. I am not on Med's for the Lupus at this point as I am trying to hold off as long as I can, and just try to deal with the pain before feeling I have no choice but to go on the med's as the side effects for me I can barely take.

Shann.

Thanks

HI SHANN
    I HAVE BATTLED WT FOR YEARS...ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS YOU SHOULD DO IS EAT 3 MEALS A DAY. IF YOU DON'T YOUR BODY THINKS ITS STARVING AND WON'T METABOLIZE THE CALORIES. THE ABSOLUTE BEST DIET I HAVE TRIED IS A DIABETIC DIET. YOU COUNT CARBS RATHER THAN FATS. I HAVE LOST 50LBS. ON THIS ONE. IF YOU ARE A WOMAN YOU WILL LOSE WT. ON 1000 TO 1200 CALORIES A DAY. I CAN EAT 50 CARBS PER MEAL AND 20 FOR AN EVENING SNACK. FRUITS ARE VERY HIGH IN CARBS AS WELL AS ANYTHING WHITE IE: WHITE BREAD, PASTA, SUGAR, POTATOES. THE DIABETIC ASSOC. HAD WONDERFUL BOOKS ON THIS DIET. I HEAR THAT WT. WATCHERS HAVE A GOOD AND HEALTHY DIET TOO. I SOMETIMES THINK THAT WHEN WE ARE IN PAIN WE EAT MORE TO DISTRACT OURSELVES...I LOVE TO EAT IN THE EVENING (BAD, BAD, BAD). BEING LUPIES OUR BODIES REACT DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHERS, HORMONES ????. ANOTHER FACTOR IS NOT BEING ABLE TO EXERCISE DUE THE PAIN. ALL IN ALL I THINK IT'S BETTER TO HAVE A LITTLE RESERVE WT. TO FALL BACK ON. MY HIPS HURT TO LAY ON NOW I HAVE LESS PADDING!!!
    I WISH YOU LUCK
    CAFRIN
    EACH NEW DAY IS A GIFT..IT JUST MAY NOT BE WRAPPED IN PRETTY PAPER

Thanks

Cafrin,

Thank you so very much for all your information. I can not tell you how blessed I am to have found a site like this. This has been a world win for me. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to me on this. How long have you had Lupus? I have had all the symptoms of Lupus for the past 7 years and was finally diagnosed in 2002.

Shann.

Thanks

I agree with Cafrin. You really should eat at least 3 meals a day, I try to eat six small ones. I've actually lost about 25lbs in the last few months, but I do that a lot. I can never get rid of my clothes that have gotten too big cause my weight goes up and down so much. Never know why, but could be cause I go through periods of nausea really bad so that's when I lose weight. I think if you try to eat more you might find you lose some of the weight you've gained, and just might feel better too

Thanks

Hi TracyDawn,

Thank you so much for your response. You both have been very helpful. God bless you, and I do hope you enjoy your holidays with as little pain as possible.

Shann.

Thanks

HI SHANN
    I HAVE HAD LUPUS SINCE 1981. I WAS DIAGNOSED WHEN I WAS 25. MY DOCTOR WAS FRESH OUT OF MEDICAL SCHOOL AND HAD A HARD TIME DIAGNOSING ME...SHE CONSULTED WITH AND OLD TIMER AND HE SUGGESTED THE DX OF LUPUS. BACK THEN IT WAS FAIRLY UNKNOWN AND MISUNDERSTOOD. THE BLOOD TESTS WERE PRIMATIVE AND THE PROGNOSIS POOR. HERE I AM PUSHING 50 AND STILL ROLLING ALONG. I JUST GAVE MY DR. HER CHRISTMAS GIFT AND A CARD THANKING HER FOR 25YRS OF WONDERFUL CARE. SHE HAS HAD 5 KIDS AND HER OLDEST 2 ARE IN MED SCHOOL. HER DAUGHTER HAS USED ME AS A CASE STUDY THIS YEAR. I HAVE ONLY BEEN HOSPITALIZED TWICE, BOTH TIMES WITH LUNG CLOTS, I AM SO LUCKY. I'M IN A MAJOR FLARE NOW SINCE MAY. PREDNISONE DIDN,T HELP AND THE PLAQUINIL ISN'T EITHER. I GO AND SEE A NEW DOC ON JAN 16, NEXT STEP IS METHOTREXATE. I HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, BEGNIN CYST ON MY THYROID AND MY BRAIN..AND LATELY A SEVERE CASE OF BRAIN FOG!!! MY SPELLING IS HORRIBLE...ALL IN ALL I MANAGE. HAD TO GO ON LONG TERM LOA FROM MY WORK. I AM A NURSE AND MY SCHEDULE WAS WORK 5,2 OFF- WORK 7, 2 OFF - WORK 3, 2 OFF. THE 7 SHIFTS IN A ROW KILLED ME. I DO HOPE TO GET BACK TO WORK AS I REALLY MISS MY CO-WORKERS AND THE PATIENTS. WE HAD ONE FELLOW PASS RECENTLY WHO HAD BEEN A PATIENT FOR 30 YEARS WITH US...HE WAS ONLY 54. YOU TEND TO GET VERY ATTACHED TO THE LONG TERM PEOPLE. I ROTATE INTO A PALLIATIVE UNIT EVERY OTHER WEEK. I LOVE PALLIATIVE NURSING, IT IS THE MOST REWARDING NURSING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE. WE CARE FOR NOT ONLY THE PATIENTS BUT ALSO THEIR FAMILIES...ANYHOW THATS ME, MARRIED TO HUBBY#2 FOR 16 YRS..MOTHER OF 2 DAUGHTERS, GRANDMOTHER OF 3 GIRLS AND A BOY. 5 TACO BELL DOGS, 3 INSIDE CATS AND 5 STRAYS (NUTS FOR ANIM,ALS). WE LIVE IN THE STICKS ON 12 ACRES OF LAND. I CAN WALK AROUND NAKED IF I WANT!!!!! NO ONE AROUND...NOT A PRETTY SIGHT THOUGH. I USUALLY DON'T TALK SO MUCH...YOU HAVE YOURSELF A LOVELY CHRISTMAS AND THINK OF US CANUCKS KNEE DEEP IN SNOW!!!! TAKE CARE CAFRIN
    EACH NEW DAY IS A GIFT..IT JUST MAY NOT BE WRAPPED IN PRETTY PAPER