Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiessave View Post
    I was on Ambien for two years before being diagnosed. Two years! I had no clue what a no-no that was. The GP I was seeing at the time just kept giving it to me, and I kept taking it. I worked the night shift in an ER, 7pm to 7am, and I would take my ambien every morning at 7:15. The longer I took the drug, the less sleep I got. I am a cautionary tale for Ambien. If I took it and didn't go to sleep immediately, I did ALL the insane things you hear about in the news. I will share this though, but remember. . .*cautionary tale*! When I took the drug I was completely pain free. That hasn't happened to me with any pain med. It ended up being terrible for me because since my brain wasn't receiving pain signals, I would way over-do it, and suffer hardcore the next few days.

Coming off the Ambien was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It's also been one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I get real, quality sleep now. I still wake up tired, but at least I'm not in an ambien fog for two hours. And I haven't given my dog a haircut in my sleep for months!

I've gotten out of healthcare, and off of the night shift. So now I sleep every chance I get. I find my days are shorter. Since it's summer I inevitably end up going to bed when it's still light outside. I feel the best when I get 13 hours of sleep. If I nap during the day it's harder for me to sleep at night, so I avoid naps. But I totally rest my body, keeping my head active. Thank you Netflix.
    I am on Ambien and have been for 10 years.
    I take it at bedtime about 10pm go to bed and wake up refreshed at 5am, have no drowsyness, not any ill effects.
    Never have there been any weird side effects, like eating in my sleep or any insane things you were talking about.
    This might be because people react differently to meds.
    To me, Ambien is a life saver, before I took it, I didn't sleep for over six moths. I would go to sleep, but after about ten minutes I would wake up, with severe heart palpatations, my pulsrate was between 120-180, of course when your heart beats this fast, there is no way you can go to sleep. I was hospitalized for two weeks, so the doctor could see for himself, what is happening to me. If you don't sleep for over six months, you go slowly insane. That is when the doctor decided to try Ambien and for me it works. I do have mitral valve prolapse, that is the reason for my fast heartbeat. But because of Ambien, I can live a sane life.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread.
    Now to the question about how much sleep we get.
    I am very fatigued most of the time, but not tired, so all I do is rest, not sleep during the day.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hello Susan,

By 12 at night i hit the bed and wake at 9am every morning but some nights i do go till 2am in the morning but once out for the count i'm gone with my meds and after 6pm at night if i do some reading you can guarentee i drop off again for a couple of hours.

Finding energy is so hard for we all. xxx