Thread: headaches

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default headaches

I get the most awful headaches. They can last between just a few hours and 3 days! I talked to my doctor and he said to take Tylenol and Aleve, and to get plenty of rest, but even when I do that, I still have the headache. Sometimes it is my whole head, sometimes it is behing my left eye, sometimes it is behind my right eye. I get tired and nauseous, and nothing seems to help but lots and lots of sleep.

I can't stay home from work, I can't even take time off from my job, because I have limited sick days and we rely on my salary!

Does anyone else get bad headaches, and if so, what can I do or take that will make them go AWAY????

Thank
    E.

Thanks

Hi Erin,

Your headaches sound a lot like Cluster Headaches, which was the prelude to my lupus diagnosis - and believe me, I know the pain you are suffering!!! No matter what OTC I took, NOTHING worked.

learn more here:
    http://www.clusterheadaches.com/

Are you currently under the care of a rheumy or a neurologist? That's probably the best place to start. Also - exercise seems to help, and staying away from foods that are consistered 'vasoactive'...

Hope this helps!
    Chal

Thanks

Default thanks

Thanks Chal,

I'll check it out. I have spoken to my rheumatologist about it, and he has told me to take 2 tylenol + 2 naprosen. But it doesn't seem to work. I told him it wasn't working and he told me to try to deal with my stress through meditation and keep taking the tylenol and naprosen. So I kinda gave up.

I'm trying to get into the gym more now, and I've cut back on my work hours (70-75/week before 50-65/week now). We'll see how it goes.

Thanks

I get an ache in my brain just reading your description. I swear, when I get headaches I can feel the entire hemisphere (usually the left side). Every crevice, every crease and fold in the brain HURTS! I get the light sensitivity, but rarely the nausea. Yes, headaches are common with lupus.

Sometimes the painkillers work for me, but I've found that sometimes I need a bit of caffine to help break the pain. Chocolate (dark, always a help!) and coffee are both good choices for me. For others, those things can be triggers to stronger headaches. Try them carefully.

If they continue very frequently, ask your doctor about the anti-migraine medications - one may be right for you.

Gentle hugs ~ and a cup of hot camomile tea to sip and steam the pain away...