Thread: Cramps cramps everywhere

Thanks

Default Cramps cramps everywhere

I am having horrible leg cramps on the fronts of my shins and in my toes when I lay down. I also have bad cramps around the side of my ribcage. That feel like they are pulling my ribs apart. My vitamin levels were all normal except for vit d, but being a nurse I see tons of people with lower vit d than mine who are not having any probs. Suggestions!?!

Thanks

Good old fashioned quinine water or magnesium? I don't know Bamber, but I have the same problem. You ain't lived until you've had a cramp in the arch of your foot! I even had a cramp once in my knee. This is something I've suffered with forever. Docs used to call it growing pains when I was younger.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manderson View Post
    Good old fashioned quinine water or magnesium? I don't know Bamber, but I have the same problem. You ain't lived until you've had a cramp in the arch of your foot! I even had a cramp once in my knee. This is something I've suffered with forever. Docs used to call it growing pains when I was younger.
    When I was pregnant with my daughter my potassium levels kept plummeting and they couldn't figure out how to get it to hold. My pediatrician walked in and looked at my OBGYN and said "give her some magnesium, it helps the body retain potassium and such". Sure enough it worked like a charm. Over the years I have had issues with my potassium and every time it won't hold I get some magnesium and all is well.

It is worth a shot!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

bamber (06-25-2011)

Thanks

My daughter's doctor recommended epsom salt baths or a foot soak in epsom salts for the same reason Mari described - it helps get more magnesium into your system. The doctor said magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant. Tonic water contains quinine, which helps with cramps, as Manderson said. You can't buy quinine pills in the U.S. anymore, so tonic water is the next best thing.

Maybe see a podiatrist about your foot cramps? Perhaps there is something in your gait for foot/leg structure that is putting stress on your already irritable muscles? Have you tried a muscle relaxant, like Flexeril? My rheumy prescribed it for sleep, so there might be an added benefit there for you if sleep is a problem. I wonder if one of those splints that you can buy OTC for achilles heel would help at night, by keeping your muscle stretched? I get toe and arch cramps and they are no fun.

The rib spasms sound miserable. My husband gets them and his chiropractor says it's from his work - kind of a repetitive motion injury. She gave him stretching exercises that help when he remembers to do them. Maybe a good physical therapist could help you with both problems. Ours uses ultrasound, heat, massage and exercises and we've had good results with various issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Manderson (06-25-2011)

Thanks

Gizmo - I forgot about Epsom salts! I see a foot soak in my immediate future.

Thanks

Lately I have been in horrible pain with muscle spasms due to fibromyalgia. Here is what I learned and do. I talk magnesium, folio acid, and drink tonic water with quinine in it. I also noticed that when my vitamin D is off even a little it makes me cramp. I will use my epsom salts ASAP! Thanks!

Thanks

I'm another one with severe muscle cramps. My calf muscles are in a constant spasm, and the spasms go up my legs to the thigh muscles, too. The spasms wake me up at night, and sometimes my hubby gets an undeserved kick.
    I've been taking potassium and magnesium supplements, and they help a bit. If you take plaquenil, don't take these at the same time! I take the plaq in the morning and the mg just before bed.
    Hugs,
    Marla

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (06-25-2011)

Thanks

I have muscle cramps as well. Sometimes, if I have a really good stretch in the morning I will get nasty muscle cramps as a result.

I have had my potassium and magnesium levels checked-both WNL. I do take 400 mg of magnesium daily for migraine prevention.

Thanks

I have the severe muscle cramps in the calfs and in my legs besides my toes and like Marla my hubby soon as to rub me, i'm on plaquenil and folic acid to help me besides good old rubbing.

Terry