Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad bruising

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamber View Post
    What's crazy is I did see my doctor. Her words were lexapro shouldn't cause the bruising. I am even a psych nurse and read the paper they give with the med and didnt find that. I took lexapro about 5 years ago for six months and didn't have any problems, but I guess they can occur. Thank god lexapro is a med you can stop without tapering.

The muscle cramps have been going on for years but have just gotten progressively worse, but it would be a miracle if they eased up completely with stopping the lexapro.
    Oops, I just assumed Lexapro had to be tapered, like others in that class. Sorry for the misinformation.

Do you have a good pharmacist that you can call and ask? If he/she doesn't know off the top of their head, they can at least look it up. This kind of situation is why we really need to keep our prescriptions at one pharmacy and develop a relationship with the staff there. My husband has caught problems with medications interacting, prevented allergic reactions, observed changes in his customers and gotten them to go back to their doctor, convinced them to go to the ER and was told "the doctor said I would have died if you didn't make me go in," and picked up on symptoms of life threatening drug reactions - sometimes after their doctor brushed their symptoms aside.

Another bit of insider info on pharmacies (and probably all healthcare providers): Don't pitch a fit or be rude or nasty if things don't go your way. My hubby will bend over backwards to take care of a regular customer who is pleasant even when there is a problem. He will track down the insurance company or doctor, rush order the drug at additional expense to the store - but not the customer, give them a few pills to get through until their doctor calls the refill in, research drug options... you get the idea. Pick a well run pharmacy that isn't super busy, ask the pharmacist questions when you have them or you start a new drug and be calm and polite if there is a problem. Pharmacists are there to keep you safe, so stick with a good one and be nice ;o)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

steve.b (06-26-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I didn't have to taper when I came off of Lexapro. Steroids yes.. Lexapro no

As for the being nice thing... I think that applies for every thing that we do.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I actually talked to a psychiatrist friend who told me I could stop it immediately. He said with those kinds of bruises he would only worry about getting me off the meds. I do have to be really careful about rebound depression but otherwise I should be ok.

I did try to call my pharmacist, but the regular one wasn't in. I still use a small town pharmacy because their customer service is unbeatable. The other pharmacist agreed with the psychiatrist, so I am going to try it. It was only a 10mg dose which is pretty low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I didn't have to taper when I came off of Lexapro. Steroids yes.. Lexapro no

As for the being nice thing... I think that applies for every thing that we do.
    I agree, Mari, but people seem to take out all their frustration with the medical system at the pharmacy window. They don't want to tell the doctor what they really think of them, and they can't fight the insurance company, so everything is the pharmacy's fault.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I agree, Mari, but people seem to take out all their frustration with the medical system at the pharmacy window. They don't want to tell the doctor what they really think of them, and they can't fight the insurance company, so everything is the pharmacy's fault.
    I can see how that could happen. Especially on a day when I am flaring, the doctor ticked me off and I want to be in bed! I will keep your advice in mind!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~